AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to control a single ceiling light (on/off only) as well as a run of rope lighting (dimmable). I would prefer single gang if at all possible but am having a hard time finding such a product. The over head light has a ballast and cannot be dimmed, thus the need for a separate on off switch. I have a harmony 890 right now that I plan to use to control the switch. Lutron has a combo switch but it is for a ceiling fan and dimmer which probably won't work. If anyone knows of such a product or a solution please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm not an expert, but into this subject right now. The Lutron Maetro Wireless stuff has both RF dimmers and a RF switch. You could mount the dimmer in your single gang, and mount the switch somewhere else (hidden, but code compliant). If you are keeping your manual switch to the non-dimming light, then you don't need to access the RF one, just wire it in series. Could be a small box, next to the light on the ceiling. Don't know if the Harmony will work with this stuff.

Also there's always X-10, bound to be something you can rig up.

http://www.lutron.com/cms400/page.as...51799813685644

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome /forum/post/18240081

I'm not an expert, but into this subject right now. The Lutron Maetro Wireless stuff has both RF dimmers and a RF switch. You could mount the dimmer in your single gang, and mount the switch somewhere else (hidden, but code compliant). If you are keeping your manual switch to the non-dimming light, then you don't need to access the RF one, just wire it in series. Could be a small box, next to the light on the ceiling. Don't know if the Harmony will work with this stuff.

Also there's always X-10, bound to be something you can rig up.

http://www.lutron.com/cms400/page.as...51799813685644

Thanks for the reply- I was un-aware lutron had rf stuff now. I have a maestro ir in our living room and really like it. I may have to check out the z-wave stuff too.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowso /forum/post/18246692

Thanks for the reply- I was un-aware lutron had rf stuff now. I have a maestro ir in our living room and really like it. I may have to check out the z-wave stuff too.

I went z-wave with a Monster AVL-300 - very similar to your 890. I have the stair sconces, a fan light, two recessed dormer lights, and four recessed lights over the screen area, all on dimmers and working perfectly with several different scenes. Z-wave was my only option since I had no line of sight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts