AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an existing Niles IR distribution system. I want to take one of the outputs from the URC RF Base (MRF-300) and put it on the input of the Niles block. What kind of special hardware do I need to connect the two?

I've been doing some tests:

I tested the volts out from the MRF-300, and got 3.5V

I have some other Niles blocks (MSU140 and MSU250)

When i connected the flasher output of the MSU140 to the input of the MSU250, the status lights on both flashed but when I connected the output of the MRF-300 to the MSU250, no light.

any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It's an opto-isolator. Basically, it isolates one system from the other electrically by using light (from an LED) instead of electricity. You could probably make one, but why bother? This unit works and works well for under $20.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again!

Thanks for the tip DMILANI, we have been using the Smarthome cables and it has been working great. We recently went to purchase more of these cables, but were told by smarthome that this item is now discontinued.

Do you know anywhere else that stocks these cables, or a cheap alternative? It looks like Global cache sells their own GC-CGX, however it's 3X times the cost of the smarthome cable.

We've tried to make our own with ir emitters and sensors stuck together, but did not have much luck with the consistency of the codes coming in.

Anyone have a better way to hook up a Global Cache or URC IR Output to the IR Input of a Niles connecting block??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue. I have a Xantech connecting block that has two zones coming in (bedroom and kitchen) and I want to integrate my Harmony 890 RF system by using one of the RF receiver's emitter outputs and connecting that to the connecting block as well. I was excited to see the SmartHome link, but sad to see it discontinued.

Any leads?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.