AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation in our home theater where the connections from the equipment closet to TV look like:

Equipment --> closet wall connection --> wire in the walls -- > theater wall connection --> TV

Now, I've got a Cat-5 jack behind the TV that ends up in the closet as a jack there as well. This has been set aside for a Xantech IR system.

I've got the whole connecting block/power/receiver/emitter concept down, but what I'm wondering is this: can I take a cat-5 connector, crimp the end of the 3-wire receiver cord and make a "Cat-5 receiver" that then plugs into the jack behind the TV and have the IR signal transmitted over the cat-5 into the closet? On the closet end, I was thinking I could do the opposite there -- make a mini-plug wire with a cat-5 connection on it and plug it into the block that's in the closet.

Will this work? I really don't want to have to have one long continuous cat-5 strand that goes from the closet, into the wall and out by the TV with no clean, cut off connection jacks.

If I can't do this, is splicing the 3-wire as easy as just picking 3 wires in the cat-5, splicing the receiver into it and just keeping that same cat-5 wiring configuration on the block end in the closet and screwing it down in the terminals?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I asked is that someone told me that the power didn't always like to be going through the cat-5 connectors and such and that you could get inconsistent results.

Dave, do you guys use Xantech at AVX? If so, could you sell me the equipment direct so I don't have to mail-order it?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Having a junction-less wire is better in some ways but remember that this is a "phone" connection and that it self has about 70-90V when ringing. Much more than 12V from Xantech.

PM me with you list !

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re IR over CAT 5, tie all 4 solid conductors together and tie all 4 striped (white) conductors together (ground). Use these two pairs for your IR. Xantech recommends tieing a 470 ohm resistor across the two pairs shunting the IR signal to ground.

Dennis

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, now I'm confused -- the receiver is 3-wire; where's the other wire come into play in this scenario?

Can't one of the 8 wires each go to one of the 3 wires of the Dinkylink?

Quote:
Originally posted by dlipter
Re IR over CAT 5, tie all 4 solid conductors together and tie all 4 striped (white) conductors together (ground). Use these two pairs for your IR. Xantech recommends tieing a 470 ohm resistor across the two pairs shunting the IR signal to ground.

Dennis

·
Registered
155 Posts
the 3rd wire provides power to the receiver(s), you can do without it in "phantom-mode" but you would have to supply local power which is not always acceptable. Yes, you can simply have 3 wires connected to the dinky link, but I haven't tried it over long distances (I've done 50 feet successfully).

Perhaps some one else can verify if this works well over longer distances.

good luck

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, you could gang the wires together in pairs. Use the blue & white/blue as one, orange & white/orange as another, etc. That gives you four conductors for your IR connection.

joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.