AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilema and/or questions. I might be in the wrong forum but I follow you guys with the home theaters and know you guys know your stuff.

Im getting ready to mount a 37" Philips in our bedroom. I want to have the cable box downstairs in equipment rack. I have a cat5e wire also running down there for IR. What are the best products out there? Can someone give me a 411 on what I'll need to do to make this work? Thanks!

PS - home theater to start winter of 09'

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Forgot to mention you need a connection block also to provide power

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I need the sensor line of sight. What are others doing with this? All my connections will be behind the tv. Looks like sticking a sensor on the side of the tv but that might look a little ghetto?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you phatnogin. This is exactly what I was looking for also. I am planning on wiring up the bathroom and bedroom but for obvious reasons and aesthetic reasons, it would be great to relocate my equipment in a rack downstairs.

Sweet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thats whats nice about the wall mount one. It likes like a switch. You other option is RF. RF will work through walls and between floors. with no wires except to the RF receiver.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id rather go IR since I spent the time installing the cat5 and dont think I'll purchase an RF remote for this Rm. So I have to install the sensor in the wall? I looked at teh wiring diagram and for some reason Im not putting 2 & 2 together. Also looks like I need a power supply for this to work? Does that get plugged into the rack side or the tv side? Shheeesh I know Im making this harder than what it is!

·
Registered
265 Posts
theoretically, it can go anywhere inline. It would make the most sense for it to be near your rack.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just a warning for you...while many people have been able to extend their IR by CAT5, when I tried it it didn't work. My cabling was electrically fine, but I think the signals just couldn't make it through CAT5. I had to switch to RG-6. Now I was trying to extend the IR sensor or receiver which isn't powered and was using the Hidden IR I got from Smarthome. I was running it about 30'. So you might want to investigate options that people have had good luck with CAT5. I talked to others that had the same problem with CAT5, but as I said many have got it to work.

Guy

·
Registered
842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man /forum/post/12866039

Just a warning for you...while many people have been able to extend their IR by CAT5, when I tried it it didn't work. My cabling was electrically fine, but I think the signals just couldn't make it through CAT5. I had to switch to RG-6. Now I was trying to extend the IR sensor or receiver which isn't powered and was using the Hidden IR I got from Smarthome. I was running it about 30'. So you might want to investigate options that people have had good luck with CAT5. I talked to others that had the same problem with CAT5, but as I said many have got it to work.

Guy

I remember when Guy had problems and canceled my plans to order the Hidden IR from Smarthome and went with a Buffalo Electronic setup instead. I just ran a 50' Cat5e cable from my sensor to the connector block and it worked first try, couldn't have been easier. Prices were about the same so seemed a no brainer to me (as other people had also recommended the Buffalo Electronic setup as well).

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
as long as it is powered it will work fine over Cat5.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Can you have a longer run (say 30 feet) from your powered connecting block to your blaster thingy? I want to run a CAT5 from my Buffalo power block up to my PJ. Do they make a blaster that just plugs into CAT5? haven't run across one yet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I can tell you in about 20 minutes

I'm about to do that for my light switches. I ran a phone cable in case I wanted to use it right next to the light switches. I never needed the phone cable so I thought I'd just cut the IR blaster line in half (already did) and will splice it with the phone cable and go from there. I'll report back as soon as I'm done and tested it.

Fingers crossed,

Mike

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm using Niles products with about a 45 foot run over cat5 works fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im currently looking into the Niles and Buffalo electric. My run will be about 55 ft. Question I have is this: Is there a cable that goes between the tv and IR sensor. Or is that all IR fed.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
In our bedroom, I mounted the receiver on the back of the TV, facing up. We can just aim the remote up toward the top of the TV (and really it is pretty forgiving)However, the TV is within a foot of the ceiling due to being over the dresser and a soffit in that area that drops down, plus the TV is aimed down a little, so that helps some.

We use a Xantech system and I remember reading in the literature that it will work over a couple thousand feet of wire IIRC. It is a powered system of course.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I know it's more or less been answered but I did say I'd return with the results of my wiring. Everything worked out well. I used Cat5 from the sensor to the control box and utilized an unused cat3 phone line for the runs to the light switches on the wall. Worked fine.

I will say it's really difficult to splice the wires together from the IR blaster cables. There's probably no more than 5 tiny wires for each lead and that makes for problems in trying to get a tight connection with the solid core 24 gauge phone line. The sensor and control block simply let you screw in the cat5 cable so that's a piece of cake. I keep having one of my sensors go out because the connection isn't strong enough. I'll have to look into some way to crimp them but haven't seen anything for crimping 24 gauge.

Anybody out there have a similar problem and solved it?

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 20 of 36 Posts