AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first post, so I'll try and be specific.

I've been looking to build my HTPC and I have all my parts chosen, although I really want an excellent, easy to use solution for controlling and powering on my HTPC from a distance.

I've settled on the Mini-ITX form factor, the smaller the better, going with an H55N chipset so it can take a core i3 and a small SSD for fast start-up. This is for internal digital media only, not a PVR.

In the end I'm really interested in the possibilities that a harmony remote could offer, but am unsure wether it's compatible with what I have in mind, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to fill me in on what my options are.

I was initially interested in this iMon Inside (Antec VERIS Basic) Ir receiver 3.5 inch drive bay, for two reasons

1) It's supposed to power on your system from a complete off to on.

2) It's aesthetically pleasing, no bulging dongles.

Although, retail support for this item seems lacking, newegg has it as a deactivated item, and I'm not sure wether this device is even compatible with an ITX systems. (cabling and motherboard standards aren't really my area of expertise). Also, how well this is compatible with a Harmony.

If this option is no good, I'd be perfectly happy to purchase an MCE remote, with IR dongle (although they are kind of ugly), but does it at least turn the computer on from S3 sleep?

Also, is there a Bluetooth remote I can look into and would also be capable of waking the system from S3 sleep.

At any rate, expertise in this area would be greatly appreciated. Initial google searches would frequently hit this forum, so I figured this was the right place to ask.

Thanks jn advance!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I use the Microsoft-brand Media Center remote control and IR receiver, partly because it just plugs in and works, and the remote control has a good button layout. I also got the MS full IR keyboard that works with the same IR receiver. The receiver can be installed internally into a 3.5" front panel case cutout and will not look too bad (thuogh you will have to hold it down with double-stick foam tape or similar). To connect it to a USB header on your motherboard (since it has a cable with a regular external USB plug), buy one of the back-panel USB case brackets commonly used with older motherboards, that has one or two USB jacks with a pigtail cable and the header plug. Remove the pigtail from the bracket and stick it and the IR receiver cable all inside your case.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ive got an imon receiver. The antec one that sits ontop of my tv. i havent tried using it from sleep or anything yet but i havent had any issues with it not working. Its great with my cheap universal remote

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur5005 /forum/post/19608937

So much hate for the iMon!! Any reason?

And does anyone know if the MCE Remote wake the computer from S3 sleep?

Thanks!

The iMon software isn't the best and brings down the hardware. I have my built-in iMon receiver unplugged and use a USB-UIRT with EventGhost instead.

The MCE Remote doesn't have much to do with waking the PC, it just sends a signal. The MCE IR receiver is what needs to function correctly during S3 sleep. I have no experience with this because I leave my PC running all the time since I use it for much more than media center.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have Imon in my Chieftech HTPC case. It works great with my Harmony 1100, TMT5 did however give some problems so i had to map a lot of the commands to hot key shortcuts, this was not a problem with TMT3.

I think it works great. The options are very limited so i can't even find anything that could be better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 /forum/post/0

I have Imon in my Chieftech HTPC case. It works great with my Harmony 1100, TMT5 did however give some problems so i had to map a lot of the commands to hot key shortcuts, this was not a problem with TMT3.

I think it works great. The options are very limited so i can't even find anything that could be better.

If there's one thing I want it's the ability to turn my pc on with my remote, and it's what the iMon offers. I'm going to give the iMon a try, and if I it sucks, I can't say that I wasn't warned!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll post pics when it's all working!

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur5005 /forum/post/0

If there's one thing I want it's the ability to turn my pc on with my remote, and it's what the iMon offers. I'm going to give the iMon a try, and if I it sucks, I can't say that I wasn't warned!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll post pics when it's all working!

Why not both? I use Imon to turn on my PC & MCE IR once in Windows.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use an MCE remote with a little USB adapter. It will put my computer to sleep (S3) when I press the power button, and wake it up when I press it again. It works flawlessly, has no drivers to install, and is cheap. I believe it was around $15 with free shipping from Newegg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts