AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a logitech harmony 300i remote and a Hauppauge HVR-2250 card. I bought the card without the kit so it didn't come with ir receiver/blaster/remote. I'd like to be able to use my harmony remote with my htpc running XBMC and know that I need a mce rc6 ir receiver. Problem is they all seem to be bundled with other remotes, and I don't really want to spend $20 for a remote bundle when I already spent $30 on the harmony. Also, I'd like to get an ir receiver/blaster for the hauppauge card so I can use it with a set top box. It looks like I could get the hauppauge kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote-Media-Center-23064/dp/B004ZJCH6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383335258&sr=8-1&keywords=hauppauge+remote

But that's $30. Even if I do get the kit, will the ir receiver be mce/rc6 compatible?? Also, since I don't really want the hauppauge remote (plus it seems people have had issues with it for windows 7) is there an altrenative (preferably something that does not come with a remote).

Thanks for the help

EDIT:

Ideally I'd like to get 1 thing that will solve both problems: compatibility with the harmony 300 and support for the hauppauge 2250 for STB in windows 7 with XBMC

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by count sudoku  /t/1497538/ir-receiver#post_23900471

Hi all,

I have a logitech harmony 300i remote and a Hauppauge HVR-2250 card. I bought the card without the kit so it didn't come with ir receiver/blaster/remote. I'd like to be able to use my harmony remote with my htpc running XBMC and know that I need a mce rc6 ir receiver. Problem is they all seem to be bundled with other remotes, and I don't really want to spend $20 for a remote bundle when I already spent $30 on the harmony. Also, I'd like to get an ir receiver/blaster for the hauppauge card so I can use it with a set top box. It looks like I could get the hauppauge kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote-Media-Center-23064/dp/B004ZJCH6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383335258&sr=8-1&keywords=hauppauge+remote

But that's $30. Even if I do get the kit, will the ir receiver be mce/rc6 compatible?? Also, since I don't really want the hauppauge remote (plus it seems people have had issues with it for windows 7) is there an altrenative (preferably something that does not come with a remote).

Thanks for the help

EDIT:

Ideally I'd like to get 1 thing that will solve both problems: compatibility with the harmony 300 and support for the hauppauge 2250 for STB in windows 7 with XBMC

I bought that Hauppauge/Pinnacle remote kit and use it with my set-top box and a WinTV-HVR-1800. I use WMC, not XBMC, so I don't know about XBMC compatibility, but it's been great for WMC. I don't actually use the remote that much, but the IR receiver and blaster works great. I have no issues with the IR receiver at all. After one change in Device Manager, I can wake my computer from sleep using it as well.

If you go this route, keep us updated on how you like it. I'm thinking about getting a Harmony 650 in the near future to consolidate to a single remote. If using the Harmony as a mouse (with the arrows) isn't too terrible, I'm sold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and bought the $30 kit. We'll see if it does what I want it. Figured I'd at least have peace of mind that it should work with my hardware :p I'll let you guys know how it fares.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the kit isn't quite what I expected it to be, but it seems to be working. I'm able to use my harmony remote with the ir receiver no problem. One thing that is really bugging me though is the run around I'm getting trying to configure the remote with the right buttons. What I don't get is, I can set up 2 separate profiles 1 for an MCE keyboard and the other for MCE SE. The keyboard has all the normal keyboard buttons but no combo buttons like alt+f4. The MCE SE has a nice set of combo buttons but not normal single press buttons like letters. This makes it really frustrating because I need the combo keys to be able to use external apps like netflix and emulators etc. but as it is I have to press my "dvd" button on the remote to call up the MCE keyboard commands, and then "cable/sat" to get the combo keys. Now if it were just me, I'd deal with the extra step, but this solution is not wife friendly at all. I just don't understand why you can't combine control sets from 2 devices into 1 list of available commands. Esp when they are all MCE and you can certainly find the full set on a single device. Maybe Event Ghost will solve the problem???

Also, if i can figure out how to program the hauppauge remote like the harmony, I could use it to train the harmony......

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by count sudoku  /t/1497538/ir-receiver#post_23944093

So the kit isn't quite what I expected it to be, but it seems to be working. I'm able to use my harmony remote with the ir receiver no problem. One thing that is really bugging me though is the run around I'm getting trying to configure the remote with the right buttons. What I don't get is, I can set up 2 separate profiles 1 for an MCE keyboard and the other for MCE SE. The keyboard has all the normal keyboard buttons but no combo buttons like alt+f4. The MCE SE has a nice set of combo buttons but not normal single press buttons like letters. This makes it really frustrating because I need the combo keys to be able to use external apps like netflix and emulators etc. but as it is I have to press my "dvd" button on the remote to call up the MCE keyboard commands, and then "cable/sat" to get the combo keys. Now if it were just me, I'd deal with the extra step, but this solution is not wife friendly at all. I just don't understand why you can't combine control sets from 2 devices into 1 list of available commands. Esp when they are all MCE and you can certainly find the full set on a single device. Maybe Event Ghost will solve the problem???

Also, if i can figure out how to program the hauppauge remote like the harmony, I could use it to train the harmony......

Sorry, I've got nothing to add, but if you figure this out, please do share. I will be looking at a similar problem soon. Actually, if I could just use the Hauppauge remote to turn on my TV (using the IR blaster if necessary), I don't think I'd even have a need for a Harmony.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the kit does come with a blaster but its not the same one that comes with the card kit. I really wish I had not tried to save the money originally and just got the 2250 kit instead of card. The manual for the card shows a cable with both a receiver and blaster on a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the card. The kit I bought comes with a usb receiver and a 3.5mm blaster that can plug into the receiver or the card. Since I don't currently use a stb (no cable) I won't be able to test in that sid eof things anytime soon.

So far........ As for the harmony 300 which was about $30 i think. it works for powering on your devices, only thing it seems is you either have to dedicate 2 of 4 devices to windows commands to get the combo controls and other useful commands or come up with a work around like having another programmable ir remote to teach it those commands, or use something like event ghost.

I'll certainly post back if i find a better solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check out eventghost...it should help with any compatibility issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts