AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have an ir remote connected to my computer in order to control it from outside the room, in the living room were my tv is to be exact. I would prefer to run a cable under the floor but it would need to be about 45ft. What are my options?

Edit: don't have a problem making my own cable if I have to.

thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i got me a hacked-up 50ft cable concoction...

i think it may depend on the hardware they use for the remote receiving- the sort of IR-detector, and the sort of voltages they use on the cable (because most people say it wont work at 50ft.)

(i'm not sure if it would improve signal if you use a thicker gauge wire...)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls /forum/post/12863971

i got me a hacked-up 50ft cable concoction...

i think it may depend on the hardware they use for the remote receiving- the sort of IR-detector, and the sort of voltages they use on the cable (because most people say it wont work at 50ft.)

(i'm not sure if it would improve signal if you use a thicker gauge wire...)

what did you use to make the cable and how well does it work?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
it works like normal

all you need is to cut down the cable, and connect to the longer cable, either twist the wires together or use connectors if you like it clean.

IMPORTANT: before you finalize connections, TEST it FIRST so you see that it works.

this on top here is the IR receiver

actually i run it down one of the 'audio' cable of this 2audio+1svideo cable bundle:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

yes, you see right, i 'borrow' ground from the other SPDIF cable. (i just exposed the bare wire and wrapped around the outside of the connector)

because my IR receiver uses all 3 pins for signaling, i had to figure out which one is the ground so i could connect it somewhere else...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls /forum/post/12867333

it works like normal

all you need is to cut down the cable, and connect to the longer cable, either twist the wires together or use connectors if you like it clean.

IMPORTANT: before you finalize connections, TEST it FIRST so you see that it works.

this on top here is the IR receiver

actually i run it down one of the 'audio' cable of this 2audio+1svideo cable bundle:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

yes, you see right, i 'borrow' ground from the other SPDIF cable. (i just exposed the bare wire and wrapped around the outside of the connector)

because my IR receiver uses all 3 pins for signaling, i had to figure out which one is the ground so i could connect it somewhere else...

I don't think I'm getting it, how does it connect to the ir reciever?

and thanks for the illustration

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you cut the cable that goes from the computer to the ir receiver

and connect the wires to a 50ft cable

i bought some rca connectors, and used those, because i didnt want to cut the 50ft cable

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok see if I got this right, you cut the usb cable and solder it to the 50ft cable which are rca connectors. Also the s video cable doesn't do anything and is useless. do I have it right? also just curious as to why theres a receiver in the picture, how does that come into play?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
well, my example was just 1 possibility,

illustrating the fact that IR receivers work over 50ft,

mine is not a USB based receiver,

if you get USB -dont cut the USB cable- try to chain some extension cables together see if that works. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some universal solutions that will work for any remote:

To move a USB receiver to your living room @ 50 ft you will need to convert to CAT5 and back.
USB extender at Newegg

To build an IR distribution network with a detector in the living room and flasher back at the computer you can start with something like this setup.
IR receiver/repeater
IR target/detector
IR flasher
Power supply for repeater

The USB extender is the easiest and with a USB port in the living room you could also connect mouse/kb, joystick, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey3 /forum/post/12879336

Isn't there any way I could hack up a cat 5 cable and put usb ends on it?

Absolutely. USB is only a 4-wire connection: +5V power, D+,D-, and GND. If you want to dedicate an entire CAT5 cable for usb I would double everything up. You want to put D+/D- on a twisted pair. You will have to experiment to see what kind of distance you can get, but I expect 50ft could work for low data rate USB 1.1 devices like remote receivers and kb/mouse. You may have to put a powered USB hub at the far end if the computer complains about the connection drawing too much current.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts