AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will preface this epic by stating that I am considered to be reasonably sane; and that I do not drink alcoholic beverages.

Yesterday, around noon, I was peacefully browsing the internet via WebTV when the wireless IR keyboard became practically useless. Changing the batteries did not help.

I tried to switch over to TV, only to find that the remotes for the TV (Mitsubishi HDTV), three DirecTv receivers (HD5, DirecTiVo, old RCA) and A/V receiver (Denon) were also practically inoperative. For example, pressing the input button on the TV remote turned the TV off. They sometimes worked with difficulty when placed practically touching the components' IR receivers. All components worked manually.

Finally, I tested remotes for two VCRs, which worked as they should. Following that, all of the others immediately resumed working normally, and are still doing so 24 hours later. The entire episode lasted for about a half hour.

(As to why I have so many components in one place, I recently added the DirecTiVo and am observing usage to determine which, if any, components can be removed.)

I live in a well separated single family home, and can think of nothing that could have caused this. Any ideas? Poltergeists? Martians?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Do you have any of the newer energy saving bulbs in the area? They can disrupt the IR remotes. So can direct sunlight striking IR sensors.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
Do you have any of the newer energy saving bulbs in the area? They can disrupt the IR remotes. So can direct sunlight striking IR sensors.

Vern Dias
Neither of the above.

Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me a few months back... actually it happened on and off for about 2 weeks. I finally found the culprit when I took the time to carefully press each button on each remote I own. Alas, one of my VCR remotes was the cause - the FF button would occasionally stick in the pressed position, with the remote emitting a continuous stream of IR. Combine this stream with my normal remote presses and voila, IR confusion.

My advice - check all of your remotes carefully for stuck or sticky buttons. And good luck... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.