AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a wood cainet for my AV Gear (dont worry, its backless and has plenty of airflow!!)

As the doors are made of wood, the IR signal wont get through!

So I guess I need a IR Repeater? Correct?

Is there anything I need to know? I see they seem to vary in price a lot - places like Maplin (the UK equivalent of Radio Shack?) have them for around £24.

They are ones that have a receiver and 2 or 3 small IR transmitters that I can stick on my AV gear.

Then i've seen ones that have a receiver, and a big transmitter that I guess sends out a wide signal (this would have to be plaed in the cabinet in sush a way that the signal covers everything? - i guess the plus point is that its not limited to a number of devices).

e.g. http://www.letsautomate.com/10952.cfm?

The only issue I have with the above is that im not sure it could be placed such that all items in the cabinet receive the signal (although it does say it comes with 2 stick on emmitters too).

Any help apreciated! Anything I should know?

If it makes a difference, i'll be using a harmony remote. and the AV equipment int he cabinet are: Onkyo Receiver, Xbox 360, PS3 (no ir), possibly a blu-ray player to replace PS3 in future.

EDIT: The example i've given says its "NOT compatible with high frequency remotes". Is this relevant to me?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm £99!!

What sort of issues do people see with the cheaper options? (Bearing in mind we have a 12 month warranty on everything here in the UK, so I can always get it sorted if its broken)

·
Registered
5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysevans /forum/post/14253775

Hmmm £99!!

What sort of issues do people see with the cheaper options? (Bearing in mind we have a 12 month warranty on everything here in the UK, so I can always get it sorted if its broken)

Try Amazon.com. Even with shipping to the UK, it will probably be half as much.

The cheaper options don't have as much compatibility (as you've seen), usually don't have wired emitters and have limited range.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
works out as £33 on amazon US, 1/3 of the price! Pity they wont send it to me due to "geographic restrictions"! I'll keep investigating

1 - 5 of 5 Posts