AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Novice here. Wish to be able to control my AVR that lives inside, from two different locations outside via the IR remote. Happy to run cable. Was thinking of a repeater on the opposite wall facing the AVR, I can fit the power source in the wall cavity. Cable runs would be 5-10 metres in length, if you can buy these made great, if not I guess I can extend using figure 8.

Suggestion and links to kits would be most appreciated. Some of the kits I have seen are 120V, don't wish to have to run an inverter as well.

Thanks in advance.

Lyndon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why not get an RF remote and RF to IR base station? That way you don't have to point a remote at anything?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, you have me listening. Can you suggest any particular product? I want to hide it in a wall cavity pointing at the AVR. Maybe a small hole in a light switch plate? Didn't really want another thing plugged in sitting on a table. Having said that I'm not ruling that out, just live in a dusty area and trying to eliminate stuff sitting around.

Thanks

Lyndon

PS, I can put power in the cavity, just limited for space for the device.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I originally thought about doing what you were going to do, because I thought RF remotes were too expensive. But by the time you buy all the repeaters, equipment, time, etc. the RF remotes aren't as expensive in comparison.

Personally I am a fan of the URC stuff. So most of their IR/RF remotes should work. The RF to IR base station would be plugged in near your AVR, example a MRF-260 or MRF-350. Then you would attach the emitters to your AVR, TV, Blu ray player, etc... Then when your programming the remote you just say use RF for those devices and port X for the AVR, Y for Blu Ray, etc... The base stations are not that big. The 350 is the larger one and maybe 1.5" x 4" x 8", so they don't take up much room.

I am not sure I follow the cavity stuff. Not sure if you have all your av equipment in a "cavity" enclosed room or something. Or do you mean the wall cavity between the outside and inside.

Not sure if that helped or anything. If you want more specifics I can try to answer them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Sorry for the slow response. Appreciate your feedback. Still trying to decide which way to go. When talking cavity, I'm talking hiding the repeater in the wall cavity. This isn't real large but think I can connect a power source inside. Didn't want another device sitting on a table. Problem with the IR is it seems the transmitters are only good for a few inches. Thought they would send a signal across the room. Doesn't seem to be the case. Only trying to control the AVR, all our music and TV come via the net. So no blue ray etc to worry about.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.