AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with getting the Sony 875P to work with an IR Repeater? I have an IR Repeater that works with EVERYTHING but my New Sony DVD Changer. It worked fine with my previous changer and the location is the same. Any suggestions?

Sean

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
No problems here.

What type of repeater do you have?

I use the regular IR emitters and an IR distribution. I also use one of those radio shack IR transmitter/receiver type things for rooms that dont have IR, they plug into the electric outlet.

BTW: do you have the problems with the disks getting lost and going to vacant spots in your changer? I am on my third 875, and they all do the same thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Niles IR Repeater. The IR receiver I has is the one with the LED on it. I have the BIG IR Emitters. Not Sure why it wont work.

WHen they all go blank I circle all the way around in the directory and they re-appear. Try it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seanbrwn427
I have a Niles IR Repeater. The IR receiver I has is the one with the LED on it. I have the BIG IR Emitters. Not Sure why it wont work.

WHen they all go blank I circle all the way around in the directory and they re-appear. Try it.
NOt all emiters work with all equipment, try different emmitters.

My disks don't disappear in the guide. They move to a new location in the changer. This causes jams because sometimes the new location that the disk wants to go to is already occupied.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have never heard of emitter " A " working with equipment "X" but emitter "B" not working with that equipment. I have heard of an emitter over diving the IR receiver. Cable boxes and the old Fosgate processors were notoriously sensitive to IR levels. It is quite possible that Seanbrwn427's "Big IR Emitters" are blast emitters and they may be the culprit. I would try mini - emitters and most Niles IR Main systems allow you to decrease the IR output voltage. If your connecting block permits this then do so; or solder a 5w or 10w resistor in series with the positive to decrease the IR level

Alan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alan,

I am sure you have heard it before but I want to say it again. You are the man! I do in fact have an adjustment and 5 minutes of tweaking it down it started to work perfectly. Thank ALOT!

Sean

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiblesolutions
I have never heard of emitter " A " working with equipment "X" but emitter "B" not working with that equipment. I have heard of an emitter over diving the IR receiver. Cable boxes and the old Fosgate processors were notoriously sensitive to IR levels. It is quite possible that Seanbrwn427's "Big IR Emitters" are blast emitters and they may be the culprit. I would try mini - emitters and most Niles IR Main systems allow you to decrease the IR output voltage. If your connecting block permits this then do so; or solder a 5w or 10w resistor in series with the positive to decrease the IR level

Alan
I didn't really know the technical term "over diving", but that is kinda what I was saying. The reason I said not all emitters work with all equipment is because I have several of those emitters laying around from various manufacturers equipment. There has been occasions where 1 of the emitters would not work from my Kustom 6640 to one of my sources, I swapped it out a different emitter and it worked. I also have a HP media server and it will not work with those emitters that go underneath the unit and angles upward but it works with all others.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
cmcjo

I don't know if "over driving " is the proper technical term or not either but I think it accurately describes what was happening. Emitters are light emitting diodes and I don't care who makes them they are still light emitting diodes. Hence there is no difference between a emitter made by Xantech and one made by Kustom ( whom I do not know). There is a difference in the amount of light they emit and in some cases this does affect how an IR system will function. When I am learning an IR code from my computer to a Universal Remote I always use blast emitters. However, I use mini-emtters on all A/V equipment.

After posting I realized there is one other factor that could have been involved and that is some manufacturers of IR repeater systems limit the bandwidth that they transmit. Audioplex used to limit their pass through frequencies to 42-56KHz. This left out every cable remote known to man ( whose carrier frequency is 38kHz. I do not think they still do this ). For those interested there is a fantastic white paper on how infra red codes work: http://www.hifi-remote.com/infrared/IR-PWM.shtml

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.