AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get rid of my a/v cabinet under my plasma and put all the equipment into a nearby hall closet with access in the rear.

What I need is a solution that would just leave me a round sensor in the wall under the plasma and nothing else showing.I have seen some of the systems like xantech and niles.But I am guessing that these will not also work with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What I am looking for is something that will control 7 different ir's plus a wireless mouse and keyboard and look nearly invisible.Let me know what you think..

Thanks Gregg

·
Registered
523 Posts
 Xantech makes a lot of good, cool stuff in this arena.

I use their Cable IR inserters to send IR signals all over the house. You probably just need an IR Receiver , a connecting black and some emitters. Wire it all up in the walls and you are set.

This stuff is also available through Smarthome , which is where I buy it all from.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Although I have not tried it yet, I don't see why a wireless keyboard and mouse wouldn't work though the Xantech. Here are some things to consider.

1. Make sure your IR sensor is far enough away from the plasma not to get noise or you buy a sensor designed specifically to be near a plasma. (found this out the hard way)

2. Make sure you get a keyboard and mouse that is designed for long range. Most are designed for a few feet to eliminate cords on the desktop. Here is the one I have been looking at. http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....107-114-01.jpg

It's only $21 and has a range of 23 ft.

If I get it I'll post how well it works though the xantech.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I tried sending my IR keyboard/mouse signal through my Xantech system and although it worked, it emitted a nearly constant signal so that no other signals could get through. Try to see if you can find a wireless keyboard/mouse that doesn't broadcast constantly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been looking for something similar and saw some RF keyboard/mouse combos at Fry's electronics that claim "up to 100 ft." range. They were in the 915Mhz range, i think. The were on the pricy side, between $150-180 for the setup. I'd be interested if anyone has experience with these as well.

G. Akins

·
Registered
220 Posts
You want something nearly invisible huh...then get what I got, this:

http://www.smarthome.com/images/8108.jpg

It can be found at the Smarthome website cgblack mentioned above. It's great and very hard to see if placed correctly! :D

E

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Intel wireless series works very well also. I have their keyboard, mouse and game controller. Very responsive. non-IR.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I get one of the xantech units that will do 7 ir blasters,what is the best solution for the wireless keyboard and mouse...I am guessing that A rf keyboard mouse combo will not be picked up by the ir sensor,but maybe I need to get a powerful rf model that will transmit through a door(nearby closet)which keyboard combo can do that?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The Xantech connector block, ir emitters and sensors definately work with an "Airboard" ir keyboard and if using TheaterTek in the htpc, a Pronto TSU2000 can be setup to control the TT software courtesy of the ccf file on the TT cdrom. As for sensors, Niles Audio makes a small round sensor (MS-1) like the initial poster was interested in. It is my understanding that ir emitters and sensors will work with other connector blocks as well although it would be easiest to stick with one manufacturer.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
acheslow, What Keyboard brand/model was it that you had that broadcast continually? Was a long range IR keyboard or one of those that was designed for the desktop?

Although RF would certainly have it's advantages, a long range IR keyboard can be had for $21.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.