AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to control a HTPC running MCE 2005, as well as a bunch of other equipment stowed away in another room. I use a universal IR remote (Sony 3000) and hardwired "plasma-proof" IR sensor and repeaters. Controlling every piece of equipment work great this way, except for the MCE PC, which seems to have a very finicky IR USB receiver and I have never been able to get it to work reliably.

To control the PC, I got a Niveus RF/IR programmable remote, which has an RF receiver connected to the PC through USB. It is, I believe of the same family as the X10 RF remotes. It works very reliably and it is programable, but it does not do macros and you have to press a component button to switch between RF and IR, which I find a pain.

So, here is the question: Is it possible to use one of the IR/RF universal remotes like the MX series or an RF Pronto and have it send the RF signal to the RF receiver of the Niveus. If this would work, I can then control the PC through RF and the rest of the equipment through IR, and solve all my woes. Or maybe even one of those battery replacement RF transmitters to stick in the Sony 3000?

Anyone tried this, or with any ideas?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't think so. As far as I know, no RF universal remotes actually "learn" RF signals. They only communicate via RF to their own brand receiver, which then re-transmits as IR to the component.

However, I think it is possible to get a Pronto to communicate directly by RF to an X10 RF receiver, so if that is in fact what you have, you might be in luck. I'm not sure how reliable or hard it is to do, but there is more info on the X10 forums on www.remotecentral.com . Shouldn't be too hard to find with a bit of a search.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1
So, here is the question: Is it possible to use one of the IR/RF universal remotes like the MX series or an RF Pronto and have it send the RF signal to the RF receiver of the Niveus.

Or maybe even one of those battery replacement RF transmitters to stick in the Sony 3000?
Sorry, not possible with any of them. If it used X-10 commands, it might be possible to use a Pronto as mentioned above, but I'd be surprised if they used the same commands as that would cause problems in a house that had both systems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.