AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an Oppp BDP-93 and a cable box (American Scientific?) that have "IR" plugs.

I also have an IR repeater kit that takes a signal from a receiver by the TV, brings it to a distribution box, and currently senda it to my other components through a 'bug' emitter that sticks to the IR signal receivers on those components.

Since I have the IR plug in the Oppo and cable box, I'm assuming I can just run a cable between the IR distribution box into those plug holes and it will be a cleaner signal, and I won't have to worry about the IR bug emitters falling off like they like to do.

The problem, and it seems minor but is causing me headaches, is that I can' find a male/male cable suitable. All I can find is cables that terminate with a bug/emitter on one end.

So my question is:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the holes in the components will receive an IR signal if used? Or are these only for output?

2) Assuming I can use them, where the heck do I find a male/male cable to use for this purpose?

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Most of the IR connections I've seen use a standard 3.5mm termination, so one of these should work okay:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218

Once you take off the emitter, it's just a regular 3.5mm cable - probably why you can't find a M-M IR cable (unless you really are looking for a "IR Singnal Wire" - in which case I can't help.
)

Regarding the functionality of the Oppo and Cable Box IR ports - I have no idea on the cable box, but it will tell you in the manual. I believe the Oppo's is just for input (not two-way). However, the Oppo does offer some good alternatives for control with its' wireless, ethernet, RS232 and CEC capabilities.

Dave

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've got a few 3.5mm plugs on teh way from Amazon.

Also - I feel a bit dumb for posting the question in the first place. I did a web search for the Oppos IR port... and it directed me to the user manual, where it clearly states you can use a 3.5mm cable to input an IR signal from another source. They even have a picture of the plug type/jacet to use.

Live and learn

Once I get the cables in and hook everything up I'll check back in to let you all know how it worked. As for the cable box - I've read online some installers having issues due to IR bandwidths, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue with mine. TBD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts