AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start putting together a jukebox PC with the future intention of growing it to an all-out HTPC. I'm thinking girder for control software but I can't tell if there's a good reason to choose one IR receiver over another. They seem pretty similar except irman is $15 more. Any suggestions on which to choose?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have quite honestly screwed around with every piece of IR control software there is. I have paid for most of them.

But, in my not so humble opinion, nothing compares to IrAssistant:

http://www.irassistant.com

And it's free!

As far as hardware, I built one of the simple circuits floating around the net. Don't do this. I suggest the IrMan by evation:

http://www.evation.com

It's what I use and it is very dependable.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pawn, why do you suggest not building it?

is there something special about the irman that makes it better than something like the ira:
http://www.home-electro.com

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Most of them all work the same... so then its either a buck or two here or there...

You may want to look into a UIRT2 kit (check the Girder forums) as these have IR out as well and a neat 'wake on Lan' cable trick that you put to your motherboard instead of the NIC cable... This way you can boot the PC with IR ccommand if your MB does not support this feature with a hotkey or whatever...

Also of note is this thread with comments on the Actisys 200L which is IR out and a link for $25 buy price... Again Girder compatible... As my MB's support boot on hotkey or mouse and as I dont shut it down anyway, I would buy this for its IR out as well at the same price as IR in only... Never having used it I cannot say how well the 'out' functions are supported though...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a StreamZap USB IR receiver ( http://www.streamzap.com/ ) and it works great for me. It has Girder support but the software that comes with it works fine for me. WinAmp (2.x and beta3) works fine and they had a working TheaterTek beta within weeks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
jakehall:

I mean the simple circuits that don't include an on board controller for handling the signal polling.

I built the Lirc (Linux IR Controller) circuit. It worked great for all applications except controlling DVD's, which is (I assume) because DVD players put a high demand on the system which makes it hard for IR signals to get through.

If you want to build a more elaborate one (I took one look at the schematics dir one with an on board IC and knew it was too much for me), then fine, but the IRman cost $30 and was at my doot in two days.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

I use a home built LIRC infared receiver. It costs $8 to build and I had left overs (resistors, diodes and so on.)

More information can be found about it here...

http://www.lirc.org/

It was developed for Unix but there is a windows version of the software.

Edit: Pawn mentions having trouble getting this unit to control DVD but I have had no problem using it with Zoomplayer or anything else for that matter. It just received Signals so it works equally well for any Application, provided there's enough CPU cycles which it what may have been the problem with Pawn's case.

I use it with Girder that same way an IRMAN would be used.

I would also not suggest building one since IRMAN is cheap. Building one is only for the fun of it really.

I've used the IRassistant mentioned above but didn't like it because (at that time) you could not disable the splash screen on startup. Now, Girder is almost a HTPC standard component so it's easy to get help with it. I would imagine the number of HPTC's running Girder is similar to the number of HTPC's running a Radeon. It's that much of a standard so it's a good recommendation.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help, I think I'll be getting the IRman, but I guess I need to decide if I want 2-way. It might be nice to have the PC control other equipment via IR...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you are looking for a transceiver so your PC can control your other equipment, try the Actisys 200L. It can handle ConsumerIR signals and works great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I fully agree with Phat Phreddy. Have a look at the UIRT2. This device allows you to turn on your PC via remote and can control other equipment with its onboard IR transmitters. Secondly it has it's onboard processor and therefor doesn't require a lot of polling from your PC.

Wykat

·
Registered
160 Posts
You don't need a two-way for PC control of your equip. You can use Girder with the serial plugin and control your devices through serial ports (like a Crestron or AMX). Most hifi equipment has a serial control port (ie. LT150, Lutron Grafik Eye, many receivers etc).

If you want more info on this, let me know.

Ben

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
None of my audio chain / VCR / Etc has RS232 ports... IR only !!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anyone know if the Actisys 200L can both send & receive consumer IR? I can see that it sends, but haven't seen anything that says it receives as well.

Also, anyone using it for sending IR, what kind of range can it do?

TIA,

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.