AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the East Coast's new best friend, Irene, I suffered a ceiling leak that totaled my Pioneer PDP-5070HD.
I haven't been in the market for a new TV in years, and I have no clue where to start, given that Pioneer is no longer in the business (I'm now kicking myself about not buying a KRP-500M when I had a chance).

What do you all suggest as a replacement, given a ~$2,500 budget and a 50-55" screen requirement? I need the TV primarily as a monitor, so all the apps/built-in speakers are really unneeded (that's what my home theater setup is for). I just want really good picture quality (deep blacks, accurate colors) as my old Pioneer aspired to provide...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I just moved my Pro950 that I had in the bedroom into my sons and replaced it with a 55VT30. Is it a perfect display? Nope, but I am very satisfied with the decision as my wife also wanted a 3d display and there just wasn't any way I was replacing the 151 in the living room.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m /forum/post/20888113

Question. When you buy a TV/Monitor with that many hours on it, is it still going to exhibit picture quality superior to a VT30? Don't they have a limited lifespan in terms of brightness/PQ?

You'd have to leave the thing on 24/7 for ten years for that to be an issue - 5K hours is nothing.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Hope you have insurance. Allthough insurace probably won't pay much for an older TV.

The VT30 is probably your best bet.

We had a lot of rain and wind from Irene, but somehow we didn't lose power. My biggest problem was waiting in line at the grocery store on friday. It was like they were calling for 4 feet of snow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m
Question. When you buy a TV/Monitor with that many hours on it, is it still going to exhibit picture quality superior to a VT30? Don't they have a limited lifespan in terms of brightness/PQ?
All tv's have a limited life span. Most of the pioneer online your going to see are going to have between 1500 to 6000 hours on it, the life span is 60000 hours. You shouldn't see much differece in terms of brightness between the two. My 5020 with the elite board mod has about 2500 hours and it's still bright with great black levels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the replies. I guess I'll go with the two-pronged strategy of looking into the Panny options and also checking the web for used Kuros (though I'm not looking forward to validating the # of hours and the remaining life on a used set).

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
go for the spork strategy, throw in a 3rd

·
Registered
5,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/20887858

I just moved my Pro950 that I had in the bedroom into my sons and replaced it with a 55VT30. Is it a perfect display? Nope, but I am very satisfied with the decision as my wife also wanted a 3d display and there just wasn't any way I was replacing the 151 in the living room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.