AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the IRman through a serial to USB converter? I am tempted to get the new ABIT IT7 MAX (intel 845E chipset, available at newegg) that has no legacy ports. The only thing I need to use is my IRman, which is a serial device. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes.

Last summer I had an application that needed another serial port for my Win2K system and tried an ATEN serial/USB converter. Nothing but problems. System was unstable and tech support useless. They knew about the problem and solicited my help to convince the developers overseas that there was a problem. I finally gave up.

Purchased a Belkin serial/USB converter (more expensive; $70 I think). Worked flawlessly.

Eventually added a second one to the same Win2K system. Worked flawlessly.

Notice a pattern here? :)

Recently got an Irman and decided to try on this same system before trying on the HTPC I was building. Installed the evation.com stuff (without Girder as I use the latest one from the web) just to make sure it worked. If I recall it only searched up to COM6 or something, so I just swapped the assigment of the serial port assignment. Worked fine.

Knowing that Irman worked decided to try with Girder which I was unfamiliar with at the time. Worked fine! Just remember to go into Girder's hardware device options and choose "settings" to specifically tell Girder that you're using Irman. (First you select a multidevice driver, then choose settings and Irman is at the bottom of the list all by itself.)

If you use Girder then don't use the evation.com software. Go ahead and install it in case you ever need it, but do NOT launch the program that talks to the port. (And don't install the Girder that comes with it, get the latest from the web.) Let Girder talk to the port. I don't think the driver is needed for Girder to talk to it, but it doesn't hurt anything, and gives you a way to make sure that Irman is working before you add Girder into the mix.

Irman is a permanent addition to my Win2K desktop. I do the development of the Girder file on my Win2K desktop, then move it over to my Win2K HTPC (which had a spare serial port) for production. I have launched/quit Girder many times on my Win2K system with Irman and Belkin USB/serial adapters with absolutely no problems.

I swear by the Belkin serial/USB adapter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.