AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to implement video distribution to 2 tv's in my new home, with 2 runs each of RG6 and Cat5e to the base location in the basement. I plan on using HDMI over Cat5 units I purchased from monoprice, and I want to use the iRule app to control.

So I will have the sources going through HDMI switcher, and have the GC100 sending all the IR signals I need to go to the components that are located in the basement. Problem is, I also need to get IR signal back up to the TV's that are on the main floor. Since I have the 2 runs of RG6 I'd like to use that, I'm not sure I have any other option to the one tv.

So if the tv is getting its a/v signal from the HDMI (over cat5) can I just plug the RG6 into the back of the TV to control power, volume, etc? Or do I need to get the signal up to the front of the tv to the IR pickup?

I've been reading stuff like this:

http://www.hometech.com/learn/ir.html

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yeah, you need to read the "coax" section... The Xantech IR-over-coax works fine, it just sends IR as DC voltage over a coax line. A device at one end receives the IR signal and injects it onto the coax, and another device picks it up and emits it at the other end.

Xantech sells a kit called XtraLink2 that has all the parts you need for this.

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could also splice right into the RG6. If the GC is anything like other IR devices, it will be able to drive up to 1000 ft of wire. RG6 is not ideal but it technically works. An even better alternative is to use an HDMI Balun that first of all is 1.4, 3D, 4K2K, ARC compatible AND has IR built in such SnapAV's new units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just occured to me that I have a good way to run an IR emitter over Cat5 but it would be located roughly 6' from the TV, from the ceiling. The ceiling is vaulted towards the wall the TV is on so the angle it would point at would be good I think. Can an emitter be that far from the TV? I think simply extending the IR emitter via soldering a length of Cat5 in would be easier and cheaper, ( assuming it will work )

Matt

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1x /forum/post/19606222

It just occured to me that I have a good way to run an IR emitter over Cat5 but it would be located roughly 6' from the TV, from the ceiling. The ceiling is vaulted towards the wall the TV is on so the angle it would point at would be good I think. Can an emitter be that far from the TV? I think simply extending the IR emitter via soldering a length of Cat5 in would be easier and cheaper, ( assuming it will work )

Matt

sure, you could extend IR with cat or the coax directly. That's not uncommon at all.

6' away for an emitter it would likely have to be a pretty powerful emitter/blaster though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts