AVS Forum banner

11681 - 11700 of 11724 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks! I won`t pretend knowing a lot about this, but you need a google account to log in to iRule builder? Back when I got the iRule license I signed up for a google account that I only have used for iRule. I use this email-address and password for logging in to iRule builder, and in the app for syncing.
No, as a custom installer I use my own name and pw to log in to the builder at [https://builder.oncontrols.com/manager.html]. I understand that there is a different address for individual users, something like [https://builder.iruleathome.com/iRule.html]. That is probably the one that wants Google authorization.

To sync the individual handsets you cannot use the "manager" account but use instead the name and pw you created for your handset. I had not heard that Google+ access had ended -- the relevant support page still recommends it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Google+ access had ended -- the relevant support page still recommends it.
Google+ was retired by Google on April 2, 2019.

Does OnControls (i.e. Kramer) ever update their websites, period? They're not exactly strong on customer service when it comes to consumers. I know I'm jaded on that topic, but I'm an iRule customer. Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Does OnControls (i.e. Kramer) ever update their websites, period? They're not exactly strong on customer service when it comes to consumers. I know I'm jaded on that topic, but I'm an iRule customer. Need I say more?
Kramer bought iRule mostly for its intellectual property. Kramer likes to sell BIG systems for multi-room environments like schools -- so big that the hub is an expensive dedicated computer. They are not really interested in small home installations that spend just a couple of thousand dollars at a time.

The best we can hope for in that direction is that enough people buy licenses to pay the server bills.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Success! Installed the latest iRule on a different pad, and it synced with no problem. There is no longer the Google+ login option. Also had success with latest iRule and the other 7" Tab II that I used before, but had to remove the custom Cyanogenmod ROM first, and reflash the original Samsung firmware.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Now I got some inspiration to debug my "red" gateway problem, as mentioned a few posts above. During eg. a movie I often get one or more red gateways. It can be different types of gateways. I have a JVC X30 projector that needs a "keep alive" signal to keep the network connection up. I send this signal before sending commands to the projector, but I`m not sure I do it everywhere neccessary. I`ve tried to debug my network, without discovering anything suspicious. Any suggestions what to look for is appreciated..

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Kramer bought iRule mostly for its intellectual property. Kramer likes to sell BIG systems for multi-room environments like schools -- so big that the hub is an expensive dedicated computer. They are not really interested in small home installations that spend just a couple of thousand dollars at a time.

The best we can hope for in that direction is that enough people buy licenses to pay the server bills.
Their hubs for small application like home theaters utilizing Kramer Control is MUCH smaller than that. :). They continue to grow in all markets including residential. However, this is likely their smallest market at this time (especially in the US)....

https://www.kramerav.com/us/product/sl-240c

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Their hubs for small application like home theaters utilizing Kramer Control is MUCH smaller than that. :). They continue to grow in all markets including residential. However, this is likely their smallest market at this time (especially in the US)....

https://www.kramerav.com/us/product/sl-240c
Yes, and it lists for $780.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Yes, and it lists for $780.
But it’s less than a couple thousand dollars per your comment. And that is the list price. Have you contacted them or a dealer to discuss? You suggest they are not really interested in small home applications, etc. Just wondered where you received that info. SJ

Edit: Realized you are probably talking about DIY folks which used iRule. Never mind....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
But it’s less than a couple thousand dollars per your comment. And that is the list price. Have you contacted them or a dealer to discuss? You suggest they are not really interested in small home applications, etc. Just wondered where you received that info. SJ

Edit: Realized you are probably talking about DIY folks which used iRule. Never mind....
$785 is the discounted price -- used to be $975. And that's just too much for those of use who need only the IR emitter drivers, like a $95 iTach. And -- my "couple of thousand" included the support gear that surrounds the hub.

One of our biggest installations was in a huge penthouse apartment. It has 6 TVs, 2 cable boxes, 6 iPads, 3 multi-zone AVRs, a Roku, and a Blu-ray player; and enough HDMI matrix switches that any TV can watch either of the cable boxes, the Roku, or the Blu-ray. Global Cache iTaches worked just fine and no "smart hubs" were needed. Even the HDMI switches are seamlessly controlled by the On Control app on the iPads.

I formed my impression of what Kramer really prefers to do from their case studies like

https://www.kramerav.com/us/solutions/classroom_ed
https://www.kramerav.com/us/solutions/control_room
https://www.kramerav.com/us/solutions/business_and_corporate

and from browsing their hardware catalogs at https://www.kramerav.com/us/products.

I'm not disagreeing with their choice to go the high-priced route -- certainly there is more money in that market than there is in residential living rooms. I just wish they had not killed iRule in the process.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Now I got some inspiration to debug my "red" gateway problem, as mentioned a few posts above. During eg. a movie I often get one or more red gateways. It can be different types of gateways. I have a JVC X30 projector that needs a "keep alive" signal to keep the network connection up. I send this signal before sending commands to the projector, but I`m not sure I do it everywhere neccessary. I`ve tried to debug my network, without discovering anything suspicious. Any suggestions what to look for is appreciated..
Seems that putting all PJREQ for maintaining the network connection with the JVC X30 in Entrances w/repeat took care of the problem with "red" gateways. I used to send PJREQ just before needing to communicate with the projector, eg. with PJREQ as part of macros when pressing buttons.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nest Stat issues

Anyone using a NEST Thermostat in your iRule setup; having any issues? My NEST connection dropped off about a week ago, i believe it was after i updated the NEST app; current version is 5.42.0. At the time I was using iOS 9, iRule 4.7.3 when it happened, Updated to iOS13, no luck

Curious on what the census is

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was going crazy after upgrading to Leia and wondering why iRule wasn't controlling Kodi anymore then I found a post about iRule not working with Leia.

I've created a new Device in the builder but I'm struggling creating new Network Commands.

Everything with Input is fine as I used an example I found to create commands like this:

jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.Up", "id":1}

But anything with Input.ExecuteAction 
Like Next Subtitle
jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22Input.ExecuteAction%22%2C%22params%22%3A%7B%22action%22%3A%22nextsubtitle%22%7D%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

Or Small Forward (30 sec)
jsonrpc?request=%7B%22jsonrpc%22%3A%222.0%22%2C%22method%22%3A%22Player.Seek%22%2C%22params%22%3A%7B%22playerid%22%3A1%2C%22value%22%3A%22smallforward%22%7D%2C%22id%22%3A1%7D

Etc...

I have no idea what the commands should be or even where to look to find examples...

Can you share some of the commands so I can use them as base to create the ones I need?
Or is there a tool online where I would enter the iRule commands and it would format them like:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.Up", "id":1}

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I recall experimenting with hybrid text/ASCII hex codes in the command data for Kodi device commands in iRule. My recollection is they didn't always work (if ever) and it was a big P.I.T.A. to get them in what I thought was the correct format (e.g. not accidentally forget a %22 somewhere or placing it in the wrong position). Bottom line is troubleshooting that type of command format is challenging and time consuming. Therefore, my first recommendation is to avoid that method (and use normal ASCII text method, as shown in examples below).

Kodi is very finicky when it comes to the Execute.Action command syntax. I recommend using the simplest possible command format to accomplish your goal.

Let's take a "Page Up" command for example. You could do this:

Code:
jasonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0","method":"Input.ExecuteAction","params":{"action":"pageup"},"id": 0}
Or this:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.PageUp", "id":0}

Note there are no space characters! The presence of spaces - which are obviously preferable for human readability - is (I believe) part of the problem many folks run into whose commands don't work properly.

The problem with ExecuteAction is many of the commands get messy, like this:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jasonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"properties":["tvshowid"],"playerid":1},"id":"VideoGetItem"}

FBOO: to accomplish what @ArieS1204 is talking about, you must first create a new device in iRule (call it "Kodi" or something like that). Each command must be entered as a Network Command.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kodi is very finicky when it comes to the Execute.Action command syntax. I recommend using the simplest possible command format to accomplish your goal.

Let's take a "Page Up" command for example. You could do this:

Code:
jasonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0","method":"Input.ExecuteAction","params":{"action":"pageup"},"id": 0}
Or this:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Input.PageUp", "id":0}

Note there are no space characters! The presence of spaces - which are obviously preferable for human readability - is (I believe) part of the problem many folks run into whose commands don't work properly.

The problem with ExecuteAction is many of the commands get messy, like this:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jasonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetItem","params":{"properties":["tvshowid"],"playerid":1},"id":"VideoGetItem"}
I can't even figure out how to make a Play/Pause command... Everything I try does not work. This is so frustrating :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I can't even figure out how to make a Play/Pause command... Everything I try does not work. This is so frustrating :(
Trust me, I understand! Both iRule (in particular) and Kodi can be frustrating to work with in terms of coding a user interface device to work with them seamlessly. I hope you'll keep at it though. It is worth the end result!

A problem you could be running into is how Kodi interprets the JSON commands with regards to say the music player versus the movie player. While us humans tend to think of Play/Pause for instance as "Play or Pause whatever is currently playing," Kodi wants the command to be explicit and reference a particular player.

Below, notice the "playerid" number changes. These commands also use another built-in JSON command (i.e. not INPUT or Input.Execute).

Play/Pause the video player:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.PlayPause", "params": { "playerid": 1 } , "id": 1}

Play/Pause the music player:

Code:
jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.PlayPause", "params": { "playerid": 0 } , "id": 1}

One more thing... make sure your "data" field in the network codes of the iRule device look like above. Do NOT insert http://.... etc. prefix in the code.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been answered but I couldn't find it in a search. It looks like support for AppleTV was broken with iOSTV 12, and I was wondering if it has been fixed and if the module works with the AppleTV 4K?

Otherwise is the AppleTV IR device working?

Just trying to figure out which one I should use to prepare for the arrival of my AppleTV 4K 64gb...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been answered but I couldn't find it in a search. It looks like support for AppleTV was broken with iOSTV 12, and I was wondering if it has been fixed and if the module works with the AppleTV 4K?

Otherwise is the AppleTV IR device working?

Just trying to figure out which one I should use to prepare for the arrival of my AppleTV 4K 64gb...

Thanks!
The module is flakey. It will work for a while and then you will have to restart the ATV and re-pair. IR still works just fine. If you have an iOS device ( iPhone/iPad ) then the "REMOTE" app is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
The module is flakey. It will work for a while and then you will have to restart the ATV and re-pair. IR still works just fine. If you have an iOS device ( iPhone/iPad ) then the "REMOTE" app is the way to go.
Thanks, in the end I decided to go for the Azamon TV Cube due to the 24p bug with the Apple TV, and the fact that a new model is on the way. I have IP2IR so I'll go IP with iRule if I end up with one at some point.

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
Just to update the above in case anyone reads, I got the Amazon FireTV cube and it was far worse than the ATV: although it did handle 24.00p (and other refresh rates) correctly in the Amazon app, it only supported 60hz in Netflix (and all the other apps)!
So I sent it back and got the Apple TV 4K. 24.00p forced to 23.976 is better than all frame rates forced to 60hz...
IR works fine with iRule, but not having a dedicated command for power off and having to use a sequence of two buttons (one of which has no IR command) to do so is not ideal from a remote control point of view.
Still, the ATV is supported by my Denon universal remote and the Amazon FireTV isn't at all, so overall ATV wins unless you really need HDR10+.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Subscription Fee

I have been absent from the forum for a while but I see iRule has stopped all support. I noticed that they charged me $99 twice for a total of $198 in January of 2020. I am wondering if any one else was charged twice.

11681 - 11700 of 11724 Posts