AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard conflicting information on this point and I am trying to decide before I buy a set this weekend. I have heard that unless you are within 3 feet of the set, you can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" set. But then I have heard that if you are watching Blu-ray's you CAN tell a difference even at the 10-12' or so I will be watching at.

Also, I have heard that getting 120hz refresh rate is important, and I am not seeing that very often on the 720p sets at Best Buy (where I will be shopping due to some credits I have with them).

I don't mind paying extra if there is a useful difference, but I don't want to throw my money away, either. Or, if there is a 720p set that has better features that is worth more than the resolution.

I am considering the Sony XBR9 and the Samsung B640 right now. Is there another set that would be a better investment overall?

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 /forum/post/18167115

I have heard conflicting information on this point and I am trying to decide before I buy a set this weekend. I have heard that unless you are within 3 feet of the set, you can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" set. But then I have heard that if you are watching Blu-ray's you CAN tell a difference even at the 10-12' or so I will be watching at.

Also, I have heard that getting 120hz refresh rate is important, and I am not seeing that very often on the 720p sets at Best Buy (where I will be shopping due to some credits I have with them).

I don't mind paying extra if there is a useful difference, but I don't want to throw my money away, either. Or, if there is a 720p set that has better features that is worth more than the resolution.

I am considering the Sony XBR9 and the Samsung B640 right now. Is there another set that would be a better investment overall?

I wouldn't say worthless, but there is not much advantage of 1080p over 720p at the distances that most people sit from a TV.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
At that size and distance, I would save money and get a 720p set.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, since I would save money on the resolution, are there other features I can look for to get the best possible 32" set? I don't mind spending the money, I just want to spend it on the right features. Internet connectivity? Refresh rate? More HDMI ports? Any really great, feature packed 720p sets that I should be looking at?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The 720p LCDs will all be 60Hz. I'd recommend something from a name brand. It looks like Amazon has the new C series Samsungs already in stock, you might want to look at those. The 32C450 looks quite nice.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 /forum/post/18167169

OK, since I would save money on the resolution, are there other features I can look for to get the best possible 32" set? I don't mind spending the money, I just want to spend it on the right features. Internet connectivity? Refresh rate? More HDMI ports? Any really great, feature packed 720p sets that I should be looking at?

I like the Sony 32XBR9. 1080P doesn't hurt, but also probably not visible from 10-12 feet.

There is way too much posting about failing electrolytic capacitors with Samsungs right now. Seems it happens shortly after the one year warranty expires.

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts
I'd go for it. It doesn't sound like you're going to break the bank in doing it and I'm betting that while it may not be an important issue right now, it certainly will be if you decide sometime to re-sell..say in 5 years.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think people tend to forget that 1080p models usually have better black levels and colors than 720p sets...the resolution/detail may be indistinguishable, but you should decide if the better blacks and colors on the 1080p model is worth the extra cost...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would definitely pay more for the better blacks, etc, but it is just so hard to tell when the sets are all in "torch" mode on the showroom floor. :0)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
having owned a 32" 1080p set and also own a 50" 720p plasma

1080p is utterly pointless at 10' on a 32"

1080p is nearly pointless on even a 50" at 10' but you may see some extra detail but not everything there is to see at that distance

see this article

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

according to his chart at 8-9 feet everything looks like 480p and from my experience that is true you need to get within 6 feet to see full 720p and within 4 feet to see full 1080p

I used my 32 1080p as a PC monitor so that is why 1080p was important to me

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
The price of the 32XBR9 has increased as it is discontinued. 2-3 weeks ago it was available at Best Buy for about $300 less than it is now, (even though it is in the Outlet section of the BB web site)

Simply can't recommend a 32 inch for one C note less than a grand.

Find something else at Best Buy. The LG32LH40 may meet your needs for hundreds less than the XBR9.

This is a time of transition to the new models...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I know that 480p bit is wrong, because I can see a HUGE difference on my current 32" 720p compared to my previous CRT. And, the difference between SD and HD content is very, very obvious, even at 12" away. But, I can believe that the difference between 1080p and 720p could be useless (other than those blacks and contrast mentioned above, which may be worth the extra hundred or so bucks).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spyboy, I was looking at that LG, and you are right, the XBR has gone up $100 in the last week, from $599 to $699. I am considering whether to be pushy and try to get the $599 price if I go that route.

But the idea of the new models is also intriguing. Someone mentioned the Samsung C class coming out as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends entirely on how close you're sitting in proximity to the TV. I have a 1600p monitor and easily tell the difference between it and 1080p because I sit close.

Sitting 10' away on a 32 incher, 720p or 1080p is not going to matter. You'd need at least a 42" or 46" to notice a difference that far away, and that's assuming you have good eyes. Like others have mentioned though.. 1080p capable sets tend to be of higher quality, while 720p ones are low end.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 /forum/post/18167774

Well, I know that 480p bit is wrong, because I can see a HUGE difference on my current 32" 720p compared to my previous CRT. And, the difference between SD and HD content is very, very obvious, even at 12" away. But, I can believe that the difference between 1080p and 720p could be useless (other than those blacks and contrast mentioned above, which may be worth the extra hundred or so bucks).

The reason why you think its wrong is because your source quality for sd is likely terrible as most all are and a crt and broadcast tv is 480I not 480p

Get a high quality dvd and watch it from that distance or even shorter and you will be amazed at how good it looks vs even cable hd tv. Its better

Superbit dvd's are amazing pq wise even though its only 480p its all about how much compression is used, it really matters more than resolution at normal viewing distances

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
#1. 32 inch 1080p matters For Gaming

#2. 1080p matters in terms of re-sale value 2 years from now hardly anyone will want a 720p set.

#3. 1920x1080 resolution will matter if its used as a PC Monitor or Home Theater PC.

#4. I have found first hand that a 1080p set even at 32 inch will just have a better higher tier upgraded Processing Chip or chips.

#5. Warranty Return Exchange, If for What ever reason you need to do a Warranty Exchange, in a year or so, Or if you got the 3 Year Square Trade Warranty, in 3 Years you will get Upgraded to a very nice Replacement 1080p unit. Because you already had a 1080p unit. If you try that with a 720p unit, you won;t get as nice a newer model.

#6. Industry wide, all major manufacturers have eliminated 720p 32 inch sets. Everything will be Standardized at 1080p even at 32 inches.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18168705

#1. 32 inch 1080p matters For Gaming

#2. 1080p matters in terms of re-sale value 2 years from now hardly anyone will want a 720p set.

#3. 1920x1080 resolution will matter if its used as a PC Monitor or Home Theater PC.

#4. I have found first hand that a 1080p set even at 32 inch will just have a better higher tier upgraded Processing Chip or chips.

#5. Warranty Return Exchange, If for What ever reason you need to do a Warranty Exchange, in a year or so, Or if you got the 3 Year Square Trade Warranty, in 3 Years you will get Upgraded to a very nice Replacement 1080p unit. Because you already had a 1080p unit. If you try that with a 720p unit, you won;t get as nice a newer model.

#6. Industry wide, all major manufacturers have eliminated 720p 32 inch sets. Everything will be Standardized at 1080p even at 32 inches.

All very excellent points!

And as for pricing (although we aren't supposed to talk about it), it has been my experience that an electronics store with the initials BB will almost always honor their lowest "sale price" even if the item isn't on sale at the time you choose to buy it. You may need to speak to the manager, but it NEVER hurts to ask.

I think the 32XBR9 or the LG 32LH40 would both be very good TVs for someone wanting 1080p and 120hz for a small room (bedroom).

·
Registered
12,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 /forum/post/18167115

Truth is 1080p on a 32" matters if you sit, say 3-6 ft away from it. At 10-12 ft, you probably need a 46" to 50" TV to see much of a difference.

120Hz is particularly useful for true 24p support from film sources like 1080 24p Blu-ray and 1080 24p upscaled (or 480 24p) DVD output if your player supports it. Motion interpolation isn't worthwhile to many and I recommend turning off any motion interpolation features like blur reduction and especially judder reduction.

I would say look at overall PQ of the TVs you're considering, focusing on things like contrast, color accuracy, and gamma controls (which help with contrast and overall image depth).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great, thanks guys! I just got back from Best Buy and I did end up getting the 32XBR9 (which is 1080p) after listening to all the advice. I know I won't be able to see a difference at my normal viewing distance, but the points about overall quality of the TV, warranty replacement issues, etc, that Ice Cold and others mentioned, were persuasive. Also, I was able to get that sale price by talking to the manager and saved another $100. It ended up being only a little more than I would have spent for a decent 720p TV.

frito, I see exactly what you mean now. I had not been thinking of DVD's as 480p, I was just thinking of the SD on my cable.

I just quickly set up the TV, put it in Cinema mode for starters and I was very impressed by the picture quality so far. I will be able to tweak it when I get home. The only thing I do not like about the TV is that 3 of the 4 HDMI inputs are on the side (although a bit recessed), so I had to buy an "elbow" adapter to make sure it did not show on the side of the TV.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts