AVS Forum banner

Is 1080p worthless on a 32" set?

11K views 201 replies 33 participants last post by  TravisBean 
At that size and distance, I would save money and get a 720p set.

The 720p LCDs will all be 60Hz. I'd recommend something from a name brand. It looks like Amazon has the new C series Samsungs already in stock, you might want to look at those. The 32C450 looks quite nice.

I gave my sister a Westinghouse 42w2 because it would have been a waste of time to try to sell it. I considered selling my Samsung 46A750 recently until I looked around and found them going used for no more than $500. I paid $1900 for it new. These things don't hold their value and to try to consider what they could resale for years down the line is not something that we should bother considering in a new purchase. Hell, cars aren't even holding their value in this economy. Used cars less than 10 years old right now are CHEAP.

I think this forum should be less about trying to save people money and more about trying to help people choose the display that is best for them. People come here for technical advice, not financial tips, and typically already know how much they want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18186895

yes and I'm willing to bet that many people in this section of the forum also have a TV too small for their viewing distance to be getting the most out of their TV's for where they sit because they spent the extra cash on a higher end smaller TV and are now sitting so far away they might as well have a 720p set

Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 /forum/post/18187440

Which, frito and sharkcohen, gets us back to the original concept of this thread. I wanted a 32" and was not going to go any bigger, regardless of viewing distance. So, the question is whether getting a 1080p set was worth any extra expense, since the resolution itself would not be noticeable at my distance.

The answer can definitely be yes, depending on how much of a premium you are paying. I paid only a slight premium and I believe I got value for that extra. The picture quality IS better, whether it is just better components, black levels, contrast, refresh, etc. Whatever the reason, my picture is better than my very good LG 720p. And, I feel as if I have a product that is simply higher quality and will hold up longer than my LG did (problems after 2 years).

I hope you are enjoying it. That is the whole point

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18190474

yes but this finer detail is only advantageous if 2 things are met

#1 you sit close enough to the TV for its size in order to be able to see the most detail in the image

#2 the material you are viewing is high quality enough to display a full 1080p resolution and from the 50 or so BD's and HD-DVD's i own and have watched every on a 32" 1080p sitting only 2-3 feet away so i can easily see all of the detail in the picture. only a hand full of movies and really only 1 that i have stands out as having what i would consider a near perfect picture and that would be the IMAX scenes in the dark knight they are extremely high quality

But what you keep asserting in multiple threads is not that 720p is a better choice if these 2 conditions are met, but that 720p looks better than 1080p. Sorry, but 720p looks like 720p, and that's as good as it can get.

I think it is great that you have seen the light and have gotten a 720p plasma and love it. Stop trying to tell people it looks better than 1080p.

DVD upconversion doesn't add detail. This forum gets wackier and wackier everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18193919

he said he has an Insignia DVD player not TV, he said his TV is a LN52B630 and then shark's post dissapears from the thread how do you pull these tricks

What post?

LOL, I deleted it right after I posted it and then had actually read his post. I skim too much.

Upconversion in displays is getting better, especially in the high end sets. The scaler in the B750 is exceptional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.