AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to build stage - - I was thinking of using 2x12's and cover with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood- would this be to tall and not look good??

·
Registered
572 Posts
are you going to have a step to get onto the stage? A typical riser height for a stair is 7-8". If you add 2 layers of 3/4" on top you are going to end up w/ 13.5" riser height which is nearly double the standard. If you have a step it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Mine is ~20".

So far nobody has been injured.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you want anybody to be able to normally walk on the stage (kids doing a show, etc.), then 12" is too high without a step up. You want 6-8" per step.

However, 12" isn't too high for a stage. Mine will be 12" with 1 step.

That's not final, I'll probably end up with something to the left/right of the screen to give the wall some depth.

I would suggest doing a quick model of the front of the room with google Sketchup (free) or your choice of 3d tools.

Paul

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
One of the things to consider is the vertical viewing angle. Whether you put your seating on some elevation or not will determine where your screen should ideally be. The recommendation for the "best" seats in the house is to have the eye balls in line with the bottom 1/3 of the screen. Factor in screen border and any space (asthetics, lighting, center channel, subwoofer height etc.) you want to have around and bottom of the screen. This will let you know what the height of your stage should be.

BTW - I am at the same part of my HT build right now and even though I wanted a higher stage, I decided to go somewhat lower since my center channel and subwoofer will need (don't have space off to the sides) to be under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts