187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could this size room work for a theater/audio room if not what is the

smallest room that would work?:confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
DW,

Sure, it'd work. My HT room is a converted single-car garage, so the finished interior is only about 9.5 feet wide and about 19 feet deep. When I get home, I'll post our floorplan. I wish the room was wider (I'd love 12 feet wide!), but I'm able to make do with what I've got. There's a lot you can do in a 12X17 room.

Go for it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Even if you can't get the perfect room, there are still other reasons for a dedicated theater room. Privacy, light control and sound isolation are the big ones for me. Like Ross, I am using a 10x20 room in my new house which is currently under contruction. In my last house, the TV/Audio was in the family room next to the kitchen. It stunk! I couldn't watch a movie without my wife complaining. In short, any dedicated theater is better than none, in my opinion.

Ross, were you looking for mineral fiber insulation? I think I found a source in Phoenix.

Art

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here's my basic layout. Yes, the front row seating is a bit close for me, but the kids love it. Yes, I'd prefer Ken's high-back theater seating, but my wife wanted the sofa and loveseat. We've got a microwave for popcorn, a small fridge, room to stand in the back behind a narrow lean-on counter, and seating for 5 adults (or more kids). Our theater's still under construction, but it's functional. It's the result of compromises, but we've been surprised at what we could do with a small space. It'll be a great place to listen to music, read, and (of course) watch movies.

(Art, yes - I'd be interested in your source. You can email me at [email protected] )

(Edit to avoid confusion - that's for Art V, not Art S. Thanks!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
RossVTaylor, you attachment (JPG) is empty.

Try again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think the size you propose is almost ideal (especially for the budget conscious). My theater is only 12x12. With good acoustical treatment and a plan to conserve space as much as possible, you should do great.

Good luck.

Cooter.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funboy
RossVTaylor, you attachment (JPG) is empty.

Try again.
Actually there must be some problem with the servers. When you click the link, and there is a blank page, look at the address bar. If it ends with fullpage=1, simply remove this part, and all is OK!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am currently painting (just finished the primer) my room at 11 x 17 1/2. Two rows of three chairs (Kustom Ken rockers). The front row is the kids row, leaving the back configured for primary listening/viewing. Go for it!!!!

Would I have liked to go larger? Yes, but after you start looking at the expense of added drywall, insulation, chairs, carpet etc etc etc... I am quite pleased with how my little room is coming along!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I sure am glad to see that there are more people than I thought who are making a theater out of a small room. My dimensions are at approx 11X17, and for what it's worth, I think that smaller size theaters would be recommended if budget is a major consideration...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys...

Mine is 12'x16' and will seat four or five. I think it is a good way to keep the budget down. My wife couldn't't imagine it being any more expensive. ;)

I think the hardest part is convincing myself that a 82" diag screen is ok.

Phil

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Cooter, your link is broken!

Are you done? I want to see the pics to prove it!

Oh, and Mercury, what is that cable doing in the way of the view in the bottom picure? It looks like you were/are cheating and watching things before you are done! That is the wrong way to do it, you loose the desire to work, and get lazy and just watch movies!

·
Registered
289 Posts
> It looks like you were/are cheating and watching things before you are done!

Well then, Scott, there's no way I'm going to post pics of my room now!! :) With all the other things to do in a new house, it's only the heat that's driving us to work on the HT again. I just keep saying to myself that the bare studs add some acoustic treatment...

Jay, I think you're right. The pic's there now.

Ross

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine is exactly 12'x17'. Use link below to view my HT. Room is perfect for my family. Just don't invite all your friends over at the same time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chris... very nice room.

What size screen is that an how far away from it is the front row?

I am in a quandry with mine. I am 9ft and 14ft from the screen. It is a little too close for a 45x80 in the front row and too far for 40x72 in the back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scott,

I am embarrassed to say that I am not done. I could give you excuses... but I think you would give me flack anyway. I suppose I deserve it considering how much smack I was talking last year about beating you. I only have a few more things to tackle:

1) black cloth on screen wall

2) hush box for projector

3) crown molding and some misc. molding

4) shelves for the equipment rack

Pictures will come soon. I have to work on the broken link first. I'll let you know when new pictures are up.

BTW, I had Aaron from Dallas over at lunch to pick up my excess TS+. I gave him a demo, so you can ask him if it is real :cool:

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PCN
Chris... very nice room.

What size screen is that an how far away from it is the front row?

I am in a quandry with mine. I am 9ft and 14ft from the screen. It is a little too close for a 45x80 in the front row and too far for 40x72 in the back.
My screen is a 72" wide 16:9. The projector sits about 112" from the screen.

The screen is about 10' from the front row and about 15' from the second.

I usually sit in the center back row and I think it's just right.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
My ht room is a cheap loft 'conversion', and is 11ft 6ins wide, by 17ft 6ins long. It's only 7ft high at the highest point (central 2ft strip) but isn't an issue.

Screen is 84ins x 47.25ins.

Pics on my website.

Gary.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My problem is I am unable to convert I am looking to buy a home in order to get a room to use so it presents many other challenges as well as finding a room that will work. I would still like to hear from all of you what size rooms you use as I continue looking at homes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.