AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 15 ampere breaker enough for the home theater equipment in my room?

-Emotiva XPA-5

-Integra DTC-9.8

-Belkin PureAV PF60 power console

-Mirage OMD-28

-Mirage OMD-5

-Energy RC-LCR (Replaced soon with OMD C-2)

-Energy C-2

-JBL E250P which is 250 watt amp soon to be either a JL audio Fathrom 113 or the REL Britannia B1(CANT DECIDE). Primarily music listening but I'm 50/50 for music and movies, but would prefer to lean towards better music.

-Gaming computer, rigged to my system with an 850 psu probably drawing 500 watts.

Since the REL uses 500 watt amp I'm considering using that but I keep hearing rave reviews about the Fathrom 113 but I'm concerned about the 2500 watts rms 'short term' I hear it only uses 800 watts. If that is true Can my breaker support that?

Can someone please help?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiaku /forum/post/17051975

Is 15 ampere breaker enough for the home theater equipment in my room?

-Emotiva XPA-5

-Integra DTC-9.8

-Belkin PureAV PF60 power console

-Mirage OMD-28

-Mirage OMD-5

-Energy RC-LCR (Replaced soon with OMD C-2)

-Energy C-2

-JBL E250P which is 250 watt amp soon to be either a JL audio Fathrom 113 or the REL Britannia B1(CANT DECIDE). Primarily music listening but I'm 50/50 for music and movies, but would prefer to lean towards better music.

-Gaming computer, rigged to my system with an 850 psu probably drawing 500 watts.

Since the REL uses 500 watt amp I'm considering using that but I keep hearing rave reviews about the Fathrom 113 but I'm concerned about the 2500 watts rms 'short term' I hear it only uses 800 watts. If that is true Can my breaker support that?

Can someone please help?

I can help you with the answer to your question for about $30. Use the $30 to buy a Kill-a-watt and use it to see what sort of current drain that your system is creating right now. If you can, break it down by individual component. Report your findings back here and we'll go from there.

For nothing, I can tell you that a 15 amp circuit done right won't cause a problem with *any* semi-reasonable home audio system.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/17052070

...For nothing, I can tell you that a 15 amp circuit done right won't cause a problem with *any* semi-reasonable home audio system.

I have a 63" Plasma display, a Sherbourn 5 channel amp, NAD preprocessor, Directv HD DVR, Rega tt, phono pre-amp, Nintendo WI, BD player, AV123 MFW-15 sub, lights, and Precor eliptical machine all on a single 15 amp circuit. Never tripped a breaker in 10 years. I had an electrcian come in to give me an estimate for a dedicated 20 amp circuit and they said if I wasn't have any issues with it the way it was, then don't worry. Basically they said if it aint broke no need to fix it.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/17052599

... all on a single 15 amp circuit.

Single or dedicated? That could make a difference. Also take into consideration that when "sharing" the circuit with dimmers, CFL's or perhaps appliances, you could introduce nasty stuff.

Either way... 15 or 20 amps, whatever it takes.

But, I really am a "pro-dedicated" AC circuit for A/V gear. It can save you a lot of potential headaches down the road.

All one can do is try it (the existing circuit) and see what happens. If you have problems, you now know what to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if I run a new 20A circuit won't it cost >$500 just to have an electrician rewire?

I also have another computer but i dont run it simulatenously with my other comp i use it to study off of, and i also have a printer, 28" lcd monitor, External harddrive, a standup fan, the lights in my room are controlled by a dimmer switch, and theres bathroom lights in the bathroom next to me, also a carbon monoxide detector, and a smoke detector.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiaku /forum/post/17057315

But if I run a new 20A circuit won't it cost >$500 just to have an electrician rewire?

I also have another computer but i dont run it simulatenously with my other comp i use it to study off of, and i also have a printer, 28" lcd monitor, External harddrive, a standup fan, the lights in my room are controlled by a dimmer switch, and theres bathroom lights in the bathroom next to me, also a carbon monoxide detector, and a smoke detector.

Get some quotes and find out!

I would say that you should not have EVERYTHING on ONE 15 amp circuit.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiaku /forum/post/17057315

He won't have to "rewire" at all. Run a new circuit. Just gang two duplex outlets, box, wallplate, xx feet of 12/2 romex and a 20 amp breaker. Materials shouldn't be much more than $75. Labor is tough to judge, but >$500 sounds a bit high to me. I could be wrong...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I agree with the dedicated 20A circuit. You really don't know what else is run on the same circuit as your equipment receptacle, so as Ratman stated, just have an electrician run a new wire from the circuit panel. You can then use the existing 15A circuit for the ancillary equipment such as the computer.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17052926

All one can do is try it (the existing circuit) and see what happens. If you have problems, you now know what to do.

Best advice so far, IMO.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17058680

He won't have to "rewire" at all. Run a new circuit. Just gang two duplex outlets, box, wallplate, xx feet of 12/2 romex and a 20 amp breaker. Materials shouldn't be much more than $75. Labor is tough to judge, but >$500 sounds a bit high to me. I could be wrong...

yea, way too high, unless the electrician's kid has college tuition due...

assuming that it's not an impossible run, a capable electrician ought to be able to do it in about an hour...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17061419

...assuming that it's not an impossible run, a capable electrician ought to be able to do it in about an hour...

And, I forgot to add, that a load center breaker space is available to add the 20A circuit. Otherwise, the electrician will need to ferret out runs, and junction what is available to free up a space, or add a sub-panel...something you may not want to get into.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts
That's why we get estimates.

(Or for those that are technically inclined... do it ourselves.)

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/17061675

And, I forgot to add, that a load center breaker space is available to add the 20A circuit. Otherwise, the electrician will need to ferret out runs, and junction what is available to free up a space, or add a sub-panel...something you may not want to get into.

yes, true... if the breaker box is maxed out, that turns into more work... easy enough to find out by going and looking though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17061785

That's why we get estimates.

(Or for those that are technically inclined... do it ourselves.)

true dat... and again, an estimate is something that a competent electrician should have no problem providing...

cool... does that mean i can call on you next time i need one?

·
Registered
22,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17061929

cool... does that mean i can call on you next time i need one?

Nope.

One oops (not being licensed or insured) and my kids lose their inheritance after you try to sue my arse.

EDIT upon a re-read:
Quote:
... an estimate is something that a competent electrician should have no problem providing.

Incompetent "electricians" also provide estimates.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow awesome, thanks a lot. My friends' friend is an electrician, he said he will come have a look.

So pretty much a 20 amp circuit dedicated for my HT and the existing 15 amp circuit for everything else, right?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It would be a good idea to actually figure out what capacity you might need...

Look at the back of each piece of equipment with a power cord. Add up the watts on the rating plate. Divide by 125. That is the maximum number of amps that your equipment will ever draw (ignoring inrush current). Add to that whatever else is on the circuit and go from there...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Wow awesome, thanks a lot. My friends' friend is an electrician, he said he will come have a look.

So pretty much a 20 amp circuit dedicated for my HT and the existing 15 amp circuit for everything else, right?

Yes!

Your equipment listed above will not trip that 20 amp circuit ever!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.