AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the early stages of deciding whether or not to build a dedicated home theater in a spare room in the basement. I am thinking of having 1 row of 3 or 4 seats about 13 feet back from a 110" horizontally wide screen and 5.1 or 6.1 speakers.

Have any of you built a theater in a space of this size (16x11x8)? If so, did the limited space have a negative impact on image or sound. Did it feel cramp? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine is 15X12X8 and I have some built in book cases along one wall, so that means in a vast majority of the room it is 15 X 10.5 X 8. My front row is 11' from my 94" diagonal screen, while the rear row is 14'. Works well for me! The front row is a little close for SD, but HDTV and DVD is great!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sdallnct, I never thought about doing a smaller screen with 2 rows. Interesting idea. I always thought the space was too short for that.

Ethan. I plan on doing heavy acoustic treatment....as soon as I read enough to have some sense of what the heck I'm doing :). So in general, do you think that with enough treatment on the rear wall, first reflection treatment, bass traps, and whatever else I need, that a room this size (with seating set up as I originally mentioned) can yield very good sound? Or is it a lost cause from the start?

·
Registered
200 Posts
What about the same size room but... the display has to placed midway on the 16' wall with couch against opposite 16' wall?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bobberhr,

I considered that as well, but I figured 11' feet from the screen would be too close, wouldn't allow reclining, and would be less ideal for sound. Are you thinking of doing that layout?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche
Sdallnct, I never thought about doing a smaller screen with 2 rows. Interesting idea. I always thought the space was too short for that.
Well, in fact I had no choice. The wall I was putting the screen on had a door on either side, so my screen had to fit between them. 94" WS worked great!

If possible, mount your PJ temp and blast the image on the wall and experiment with different sizes. You can then use some dinning room chairs or something for temp seating and see what you like. It makes it a lot easier to "see" what your options are.

Here is a not so great photo. Eventually I will switch out the trim and paint the doors, you can just see the built ins to the right.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...0/P7130101.JPG

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O_Salt, thanks for the head-up. I will be following your progress!

Sdallnct, do you have any more pictures of your room?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.