AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room is 13 ft. (W) x 20 ft. (L) x 18 ft (H) with vaulted ceilings. The projector screen occupies the south wall with the couch on the opposing wall. Nothing spectacular or original there. One "end" of the long room is a window wall and the front door and the other is the opening to dining room.

I currently have installed a 2.1 system into the walls centered below the projector screen at approximately ear level. That seems to be the only thing that was straight forward however. The correct location for the surrounds places them inside the door to the coat closet and the front door, respectively and everything else just seems like an ever escalating kludge.

I could mount the surround speakers above the doors but with no means in which to toe-angle them down at me, the sound would be at approximately 7 ft. above ear level. I could also mount them in the ceiling, but while they would be aimed *at* me they would also be 15 above ear level at that point - not to mention the ceiling fan which would be chopping through the sound waves as it oscillated.

I've already given up on mounting any speakers directly behind the couch in the wall because off the advice given here on the boards that it sounds horrible, distracting, etc. and eliminates the effect of surround sound. But jeez, I would like to be able to get at least 5.1 in this room...

I'm starting to think that 2.1 is the best I can do unless I want to hang the original set of wall mountable ONKYO's up off the walls - which the wife would HATE+

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I located my "side surrounds" on the rear wall area up high due to room constaints like yours. As a general rule, the surrounds only produce ambiance and are not very locatable.

My seating position is about 7 feet from the rear wall, and the surround speakers are about 6 1/2 feet above the floor facing straight (not angles down). The surround speakers sound just fine. If I set the surround speakers to off, then I notice the surround sound is missing.

I suggest that you experiment with your speakers on a temporary basis with temporary wire strung across the room.

You can even be outside the widest angles shown on this diagram and end up with good surround sound. You do what you have to do regardless of the claims being made by the "AVS forum experts".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydodge14 /forum/post/19541528

Disregard my post I apologize I'm on my phone and posted on the wrong thread.

haha, totally forgiven, I can absolutely relate....

My wife just came home to grab her cell phone before running off again and I was on the phone with a client and told the wrong person that I love them. AWKWARD!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, these pictures really show off the chaos that is my living room right now during the renovation - as well as the hideous contraption my wife uses to house her beast - but it does provide three angles in which to help me position the speakers for 5.1 or better, if possible.

The cutouts in the wall in angle.01 are the center, left and right channels. When you are seated, they are right at ear level, although the picture doesn't make them seem like it. They're also positioned to be just below the screen when it's mounted. The center speaker is dead center of the screen, just on the bottom of it. Left & Right are pretty close in terms of the angles, but when installed they're going to be angled a tiny bit to focus them where *I* sit on the couch, heh.

But that's it, as you can see in the other pictures, because there is a door on either end of me, unless I mount them above the doors (which is fine by me if it will sound ok) I have no idea where to place them...

I wish everyone a Happy Roast Beast day tomorrow, I'm going to clean my beast to so it can be roasted cleanly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts