AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
What a load of crap, Craig! As soon as JVC brings out a 6k lumens 8k eshift at a decent price, you will be all over it like stink on sh$t.:D

As for the lamp vs laser differences, a JVC engineer told a couple of us that it comes down to the etendue of the light source. The difference between laser and lamp wasn't great IIRC. Whether that difference is a concern to someone would be up to each individual IMO.
Define " decent price ". As defined by my wife, I'll be dead first. :eek: There most likely won't be any physical media past 4K Blu-ray, so I'm good with my RS4500. I just need 700 of my favorite movies re-mastered on 4K. I just ordered 4 more today. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
JVC has had a laser in the current chassis since 2015 for the simulation market, 2 of the models were e-shift.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2014/releases/blu-escent.html

it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to just move this technology into the current HT models and maybe another e-shift update.

either 4K + lamp or laser + e-shift should happen going into 2019 otherwise there may not be too many compelling reasons to update for owners of the last 3 generations if the next release is another minor tweak.
I think the projector world had enough of JVC's minor tweaks. JVC, at the very least, should make a laser e-shift projector for 2019 (that keeps those same inky blacks). I'm really hoping this is gonna be the case because I want to upgrade. And bulb technology is getting old. With laser, I can get the projector professionally calibrated and not worry about gamma droops, lumen loss, and whatnot. Professionally calibrate, and done. No need for annoying re-calibrations.

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
I think the projector world had enough of JVC's minor tweaks. JVC, at the very least, should make a laser e-shift projector for 2019 (that keeps those same inky blacks). I'm really hoping this is gonna be the case because I want to upgrade. And bulb technology is getting old. With laser, I can get the projector professionally calibrated and not worry about gamma droops, lumen loss, and whatnot. Professionally calibrate, and done. No need for annoying re-calibrations.
That has been a big plus with my RS4500. Laser rules !

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I think the projector world had enough of JVC's minor tweaks. JVC, at the very least, should make a laser e-shift projector for 2019 (that keeps those same inky blacks).
Maybe that's why the later gens of JVC's have $500-$600 lamps....it makes the transition to the JVC Laser offerings (current and upcoming) easier to jump.

Gamma droops> I was told (here on AVS) that had more (or all?) to do with the DILA panels themselves, not the lamp?

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Maybe that's why the later gens of JVC's have $500-$600 lamps....it makes the transition to the JVC Laser offerings (current and upcoming) easier to jump.

Gamma droops> I was told (here on AVS) that had more (or all?) to do with the DILA panels themselves, not the lamp?

if they keep the same panels and only swap the lamp for a laser, it's likely going to happen again as it's appear inherent to the panels, not the light source. if an e-shift JVC has gamma droop, swapping a lamp doesn't fix it. it requires an autocal to resolve. It does appear to settle after some time. My RS600 has 1100 hours on original lamp and gamma has been solid since the last autocal several hundred hours ago.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
After seeing a BenQ HT2050 last year, I have to say RBE is the single worst issue I've seen from a projector aside from its grey- blacks.
David, couldn't agree more. But the sad thing is they can get rid of it and know how to do it. Plenty of DLP's have done so.

I had the Sharp XV-Z30000 for many years and never once saw RBE. I think @zombie10k still has that machine.

So it blows my mind why this is still an issue. Or why these manufacturers continue to implement designs that allow it.

They say only a few are prone to RBE, but I just don't buy that.

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
David, couldn't agree more. But the sad thing is they can get rid of it and know how to do it. Plenty of DLP's have done so.

I had the Sharp XV-Z30000 for many years and never once saw RBE. I think @zombie10k still has that machine.

So it blows my mind why this is still an issue. Or why these manufacturers continue to implement designs that allow it.

They say only a few are prone to RBE, but I just don't buy that.
I never saw RBE with my Digital Projection dVision 1080p projector either.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
I've never seen RBE on my Benq w7000, but I know some folks have on that machine. I'm much more sensitive to other video issues like the JVC pulsating at lower iris settings, various types of banding, 3d flicker/ghosting, etc....It's interesting how we're all more sensitive to some video issues vs others compared to one another.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
My last DLP projector was an Infocus SP4805 and never saw RBE with that projector. I had many people coming to my house to watch movies back in those days (2005 - 2007) and none of them complained about RBE. I'm also running a pair of Christie DHD800 projectors in our 1500 worship center and can't see any RBE. As far I know the only thing I'm sensitive too regarding projectors is Dynamic Iris. I just cannot stand watching a movie with DI engaged.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
There was zero difference resolution wise at CES flipping back and forth between the VW385ES and the RS640, with The Fate of the Furious on 4K. The JVC RS640 had better color ( due to the BT2020 color filter ) and was brighter.

Not that the VW385 looked bad. Other than color and brightness, they damn near looked identical.
I had a very different experience in a direct side by side comparison between the 385ES with the RS440. The RS440 was a fantastic projector, but the resolution difference was pretty obvious to me. Also, the RS440 had some errors/artifacts in the image due to eshift. I did really prefer the RS440's brightness advantage over the Sony.

JVC vs Sony is pretty much black level vs resolution in my opinion. Make your pick.

Also, the lens of both is fantastic, I own a 4k Sony and it's very sharp.

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
I had a very different experience in a direct side by side comparison between the 385ES with the RS440. The RS440 was a fantastic projector, but the resolution difference was pretty obvious to me. Also, the RS440 had some errors/artifacts in the image due to eshift. I did really prefer the RS440's brightness advantage over the Sony.

JVC vs Sony is pretty much black level vs resolution in my opinion. Make your pick.

A JVC and a Sony look a lot more alike than fanboy's like to admit. Sony has an advantage in resolution which is hard to see from viewing distance and JVC has an advantage in contrast (5 & 6 series) that shows up at any distance. I have seen enough side by side comparisons to know this. Sony also has an input switching lag advantage. JVC has a color space advantage with HDR. None of these differences are huge, but they are there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A JVC and a Sony look a lot more alike than fanboy's like to admit. Sony has an advantage in resolution which is hard to see from viewing distance and JVC has an advantage in contrast (5 & 6 series) that shows up at any distance. I have seen enough side by side comparisons to know this. Sony also has an input switching lag advantage. JVC has a color space advantage with HDR. None of these differences are huge, but they are there.
It really depends on the kind of content imo.

If you like dark movies like Shape of Water, the JVC is a great choice.

If however you like to play games @ native 4k that have a constant full-screen perfect focus. You will absolutely see the resolution difference at any viewing distance.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Banned
868 Posts
That has been a big plus with my RS4500. Laser rules !
What's really sad is the surcharge they are getting away with for what is basically a $300 dollar lamp.

Seriously, a 28W bank of blue laser diodes costs 300 clams, more than bright enough to fry your eyes. Resold for 35k. Sounds legit.

I say this as a big fan of JVC. Terrific contrast and even better businessmen.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
What's really sad is the surcharge they are getting away with for what is basically a $300 dollar lamp.

Seriously, a 28W bank of blue laser diodes costs 300 clams, more than bright enough to fry your eyes. Resold for 35k. Sounds legit.

I say this as a big fan of JVC. Terrific contrast and even better businessmen.
Well you may have missed the part where it has a lens which would arguably rival those in cinema cameras.

Last I checked a cinema zoom lens was not cheap...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365594-REG/angenieux_optimo_48_130_style_with_asu_optimo_style_48_130mm_zoom.html

Sounds legit.

·
Registered
18,115 Posts

I owned a VW600 and an RS600 for 15+ months. Never could see a resolution difference in my theater.

·
Registered
493 Posts

I'd sure hope so when comparing an $8k projector against a $4k one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'd sure hope so when comparing an $8k projector against a $4k one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The RS440 is actually priced very well. I'd take it over both Sony 285 and 385, if only because of the much higher brightness at a much more competitive price.

But the resolution difference is pretty obvious to me, maybe I'm more sensitive to it than others? I don't know.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts