AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new lcd for my brightly lit living room, TV close to the window. From what I can read LED is the way to go if I can afford it. Is 240hz worth extra cost over 120hz? Is there much of a difference? The sales guy at future shop says there is not a big difference but I wanted some other advice. If budget comes down to a 120hz LED or 240hz lcd, which would you go with? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
you will see almost no real world difference between 120hz and 240hz, in fact with some models if you compare them the 120hz TV could do a better job with motion enhancement than the lesser quality brand 240hz TV that is often just a 120hz TV with a scanning backlight (Toshiba, LG, and Vizio are 120hz+scanning backlight)

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
If you turn off AMP or whatever the motion interpolation feature is called, does the 120 or 240 Hz refresh rate offer any improvement in motion resolution (beyond true 24p film support)?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There is not a significant benefit of getting a 240Hz model over a 120Hz model if from the same manufacturer if there are no other feature differences than 240 model over the 120Hz model.

However, I have not seen any brand that has two models where this is the only difference.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/18163881

If you turn off AMP or whatever the motion interpolation feature is called, does the 120 or 240 Hz refresh rate offer any improvement in motion resolution (beyond true 24p film support)?

very little because of LCD sample and hold blur

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the last thing I want is my 24p Film movie content to look like it was shot with a 720p Hand held camcorder

and thats all 240hz does on the high end Samsung they have showing off KingKong or Transformers 2 at the store.

Its cool to look at, because its so different, and you can really appreciate, the detail in scenes more.

But its not a movie experience.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18163930

There is not a significant benefit of getting a 240Hz model over a 120Hz model if from the same manufacturer if there are no other feature differences than 240 model over the 120Hz model.

However, I have not seen any brand that has two models where this is the only difference.

If comparing the Sammy LN52B750 to the LN52B630, other than the gloss Vs matte style screen, and as far as video performance goes, 240Hz Vs 120Hz is the main difference. (HD Guru had said something about the 240Hz sets using twin AMP chips, instead of one)

Edit: Actually I hope you are right, because I keep second guessing myself as to whether or not I made the best decision by purchasing the 52B630 instead of the 52B750.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
240Hz is necessary for Blu-ray 3d programs if you want each eye to be refreshed with judder less 120fps images. The TV system also has to have HDMI 1.4 so it can receive the two 1080p/24 streams from the BR player concurently over HDMI. Other 3d sources have less stringent requirements.

IMHO since the 750 has faster and more capable video processing chips in order to interpolate 3 images between each pair or 60Hz content I beleive it also does a better quality job of upscaling and/or de-interlacing of incoming content. Since HDTV spec sheets do not contain any quanitative data on these capabilites only comparison reviews by the media can give insight into differences in thise capabilites. .

·
Registered
109 Posts
The difference between 120Hz and 240Hz is far less than the 60Hz and 120Hz - there is a huge jump in smoothness going from 60 to 120 and less from 120 to 240.

On Samsung TVs at least, the advantage of 240Hz is the ability to separately dial in anti-blur and anti-judder settings. You can set the anti-blur high and leave anti-judder off (or low) and get great motion processing without the soap opera effect. I find this to be a HUGE advantage as on my 120Hz Sony TV I can't set MotionFlow on high because of the overly smoothed picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts