AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 27" sony that I will be moving into my new apartment and the distance from the couch to the TV will be 9ft. I don't want to buy a big screen yet until 2007 when the HD era begins. Is the tv too small to watch from 9ft away?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its too small for me, I'd say at least a 42" widescreen set for that distance if you want to read fine print on DVD movies. The HD era began a few years ago, most of the primetime shows of all the major networks (CBS,ABC,NBC,WB,PBS) are in HDTV now - no need to wait for 2007.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
clone,

Why do say the HD era will begin in 2007? If you're referring to the FCC 2006 deadline, this only refers to digital broadcasting, whether in 4:3 SD or 16:9 HD. My local cable company & affiliates are already in compliance. There's no reason to deny yourself all the advantages of the new HDTV's.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I watch my old 26" from 12' in my living room, and it is OK but certainly not a "movie expierience". It helps that I am not listening to those tiny TV speakers. With my old receiver, I can at least get somewhat "big" sound.

That said, waiting for 2007 is pointless. There are HD TV's, and HD set top boxes now that are future proof. The 2006/7 FCC deadline is about digital OTA transmissions. Digital transmission does not mean HDTV, although HDTV is the best type of digital OTA transmission. Like mentioned by cajieboy, the cable and sat companies do not have to change the way they send their signals to your TV's. Just the free OTA would change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have directv which only has like 5 channels in HD. Pretty useless for me to get an hdtv now. thats why I will wait.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
clone,

For years I waited on the sidelines w/my older Sony 27"XBR, waiting & waiting to see how all this TV high tech would shake out. My 27"er was displaying decent analog PQ (still does), and wasn't informed about the latest gear. I wanted a more HT effect, and even though I had been viewing the 27"er at almost twice the proper distance all this time I knew a much larger screen size was needed. The HDTV Tubes offered the biggest bang for the buck in PQ & durability. Not only for HD, but for SD & DVD movies as well. Once Sony upgraded their 40XBR in 2002, and CC offered a free Stand, I pulled the trigger. The moment I plugged up this 40"er, the great advantages in PQ & video experience was so overwhelming, I wondered why I waited for so long to upgrade. My older 27"er is retired to the bedroom, but it's hard to watch it as the difference between the two Tubes are so great.

Late in 2002, Consumer's Report did a story on the new HDTV's and their advantages, and stated their advantages well were worth the extra bucks & now recommended them. I opted for a 4:3 HDTV that could perform both aspect ratios well because of the broadcast transition period, and the fact that over 90% of the broadcasting in my area is still 4:3 SD. I love HD, and the resolution can be stunning & lifelike on the 40XBR's 37" 16:9 screen. But I also enjoy the SD 4:3 broadcast on digital cable, and can be almost as good as DVD quality PQ. If you like Sports, you'll be amazed at how clear & sharp the picture. I say don't wait any longer to replace your older analog TV. If your experience is anything similar to mine, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I upgraded the same as cajieboy from an 10year old analog Sony 27" set. However since HDTV programs are so widely available now (I'd estimate about 90% of the primetime network programming is now available in widescreen HD) I chose a WIDESCREEN 34" HDTV set. The viewing distance was perfect since the height of the screen is similar to the old 27" set but wider. I get the largest picture from the high quality widescreen sources (HD and DVD), a smaller screen for the lower quality analog 4:3 sources is preferable - I would never want the low-res stuff blown up way too large like to 40" for under 10feet viewing distance, it would be too blurry looking!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I have a Zenith C27V36 in a bedroom that I am viewing from between 8 and 9 ft. It's fine. If I wanted more of a moview like experience, I would have gone with at least a 32" or possibly a 36"(No bigger though. Not for a bedroom or an apartment). Considering you live in an apartment, I don't know if you move alot of your things yourself or have help. The 27" will definately be easier to move and won't dominate everything like a 42" would. That to me is WAY to big for an apartment. But to each their own.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also agree with everyone here. I watched my 27" from 8 feet away for 8 years until this past summer. I finally COULDN'T STAND watching widescreen DVDs on it from that distance. Especially the 2.35:1 variety, Widescreen... My A$$... It was more like watching a "Band-aid" stripe across the screen.

While you probably don't have room for the behemoth 40XBR in your apartment, a 42" flat panel would be perfect. Money of course may also dictate you decision.

But as a Broadcaster myself, DO NOT WAIT unitl 2007 expecting some gigantic change to occur on January 1st. THERE IS NO FCC MANDATE FOR HDTV, Only ATSC digital transmission as has been correctly pointed out here. There are 18 ATSC formats from which a broadcaster can chose. Set top boxes and integrated digital tuners must be capable of receiving all of the formats. However, the MOST COMMON broadcast format at this point in time is SDTV at 480i or 480p. Broadcast encoders can easily convert analog NTSC video into this format and SDI routers can handle the signal. HDTV will be driven by competition between networks, etc. HDTV PRODUCTION and ORIGINATION equipment is VERY expensive, so it will be a slow steady climb to more and more HD program material in the future. There is, however, already a significant amount of HD programming out there to enjoy at the moment... expecially if you live in a Major market. Even if it's only 5 channels, they are the 5 BIG NETWORK channels that you probably watch most.

I happen to agree with Cajie and took the same path. I own the 40XBR800 and couldn't be happier with my decision. I also agree with Thumper's logic as well, each of the two choices has merit at this point in time. I feel that I am future proofed until TRUE HD plasmas, come down in price. Like you may be feeling, I just couldn't bring myself to spend $8K on a plasma at this point in time for the moderate amount of HD programming available. However, spending 2K for the 40XBR or 34XBR910 is WELL WORTH the investment! Either one of those will tide you over until a larger plasma (or whatever technology finally wins out) comes down to that price range. You will get your money's worth simply by watching DVDs on a screen size that is legible at 9 feet. The HDTV viewing will be a BONUS that will leave you with no regrets as to your decision to jump into the digital era.

Time to get your feet wet! Retire the 27" to the bedroom, or to a friend or family member, and join the club! You will NEVER want to go back and will add the ENJOYMENT of the viewing experience to your life, instead of simply following a plot line while squinting at the screen.

Size DOES matter!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies, I will retire the 27" to the bedroom and I'll narrow my choice between the 42" mitsu ws413 rptv or the sony 40xbr tube for the living room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.