AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

Just curious, do I need to go with a 5.1 set up to acheive a good movie watching experience, or 3.1 will do too. So far I bought 2 RC-50 for front and RC-LCR , and plan on getting a decent 10 inch woofer. Since my basement space is not that big anyway (12' wide, 15' deep, also a side space about 5 by 8). I am thinking maybe this 3.1 set up will be enough.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19627145

A good 3.1 setup will be great. The surrounds are only a supporting role in these audio setups, they play a minor part in comparison with the fronts and the subwoofer.

+1 .. and it's certainly better than mono ..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You can get quite stupendous sound out of two speakers. I'm only using two and the sound (frontal assault) will walk over many many manyyyyyyy other configurations. What is unfair is I'm using speakers the size of full sized double door refrigerators. So with that said, it's all about choices, budgets, wives (trying to imply I might have more than one
), room space.......

For spatial cues, my 2 speakers will lag even little bose cube speakers when played within the limits of the cubes (since I do not have any effects speakers at all).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm running a 3.1 right now while I wait for my surrounds to come in the mail.

I'm running a Denon avr 1911, 2 rc-70s, one LCR, and a cheap Polk audio sub. It sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. I would be happy with it as it is just fine, but luckily I had the extra money and found a really good deal on the RCR surrounds so I sprang for them. Next I'm moving to a 7.1 and getting a better sub when I can recoup some of the money I spent on this thing. Over all I really glad I bought these when i did.

I think you will be happy with a 3.1 set up and then when you can afford to expand it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle /forum/post/19626929

Hello -

Just curious, do I need to go with a 5.1 set up to acheive a good movie watching experience, or 3.1 will do too. So far I bought 2 RC-50 for front and RC-LCR , and plan on getting a decent 10 inch woofer. Since my basement space is not that big anyway (12' wide, 15' deep, also a side space about 5 by 8). I am thinking maybe this 3.1 set up will be enough.

What are your thoughts?

How do you like your RC-50. Even I am considering them with my Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver i recently purchased. Even I am considering abt a 3.1 set for now and upgrading later. I saw the RC-50 for 300$ per piece at Vanns..please let me know if there is any better deal on them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ported means it has a bass reflex port much like 90% of speakers (a hole in the box which boosts bass at a specific frequency by using the ones created at the rear of the driver by way of a port of a specific size and length). Sealed is the other option. Sealed are often smaller for the same size woofer but do not provide as much output. A 12" ported sub might have similar output to a 15 inch sealed design. I happen to prefer the sound of a sealed box but others will disagree. For movies, it's really a case of bigger is better.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19627468

I'd take a good 3.1 over a weak 5.1 or 7.1 any day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19628054

+1

A good 3.1 IS good, but I gotta tell you, NOTHING beats rain bullets wizzin' by your head!!! 7.1(2) any day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.