Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bigger TV for our living room. We're currently watching an old 27" Toshiba which is way too small for widescreen DVD viewing, especially given the approx. 12 foot distance between the set and our sofa. We're seriously considering either a Fujitsu or Panasonic 42" plasma to replace it, but I'm not sure this is the right time to go plasma (price coming down, technology getting better), and I'm concerned about the burn-in issue. Anyway, I stumbled across the Toshiba 34HF83 and was pretty impressed with it. Seems to have all of the features I want (HDTV, 16:9, etc.), but I'm concerned that going 34" is only a small improvement over our 27 incher, especially considering our viewing distance. Considered RPTV, but haven't been too impressed with the picture quality, and off-axis viewing is problematic. Any advice on whether or not a 34" widescreen TV will be a significant enough improvement over our current 27" to be worth the extra $$$, or should I just wait for the price of plasmas to come down.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasin
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bigger TV for our living room. We're currently watching an old 27" Toshiba which is way too small for widescreen DVD viewing, especially given the approx. 12 foot distance between the set and our sofa. We're seriously considering either a Fujitsu or Panasonic 42" plasma to replace it, but I'm not sure this is the right time to go plasma (price coming down, technology getting better), and I'm concerned about the burn-in issue. Anyway, I stumbled across the Toshiba 34HF83 and was pretty impressed with it. Seems to have all of the features I want (HDTV, 16:9, etc.), but I'm concerned that going 34" is only a small improvement over our 27 incher, especially considering our viewing distance. Considered RPTV, but haven't been too impressed with the picture quality, and off-axis viewing is problematic. Any advice on whether or not a 34" widescreen TV will be a significant enough improvement over our current 27" to be worth the extra $$$, or should I just wait for the price of plasmas to come down.

Any advice would be appreciated.
To me 12 feet is kinda far away for a 34" TV, and i tend to like my screen a little smaller rather than larger.

Here's the two TVs' actual screen size:

27" 4:3 TV's actual screen size is 16.2" High x 21.6" Wide

34" 16:9 TV's actual screen size is 16.7" High x 29.6" Wide

If you watch the same widescreen DVD on both TVs, the 34" Tube TV you'll gain whatever extra inches your 27 incher's top and bottom black bars plus and extra 8" of widescreen width. That's a big increase in screen size when watching 16:9 stuff, but i wouldn't say it's worth spending $1200 for when that money could be applied toward a 42" Plasma. You know you really want a Plasma :)

However 4:3 SD content will be about the same size as your current 27" TV so you won't be gaining any screen size when watching regular SD TV, so the only size gain you'd get with this 34" TV would be with 16:9 content, and that's still nowhere near the size increase you'd get on a nice 42" Plasma. And remember that 12 foot viewing distance - you need 42" :)

It sounds like you're maybe considering the 34" as a temporary stop gap until you're ready to buy a 42" Plasma later, but you're stuck in that quandry of wanting something better now while wanting to wait for technology to improve and Plasma prices to drop. If you buy the 34" set now and in the next few years Plasma prices drop by $1,000 then you've needlessly spent $1200 for that temporary 34" TV that could have been put toward the Plasma in the first place, and you could have been enjoying it a few years sooner. Do you think the higher-end Plasmas will come down by $1,000 - $1,200 in the next year or two? Probably but it's hard to say.

Life's too short for two years of indecision :)

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I own a 39 inch HDTV with a set top box for line doubling, I can't wait to buy a 50 inch but I wish it could be a direct view. Last analog I owned was a 36 inch 4:3 TV, I'm 'used' to big 16 x 9 anamorphic wide screens now! :)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
At 12foot you should get at least a 50" plasma! To see the benefits of HD resolution on a 34" widescreen set you would need to view from under 6 feet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in a similar situation having a 27" tv, 10-12 feet viewing distance, do a fair amount of off-axis viewing and wanted to upgrade to a bigger, better tv. End up going with the Sony 910, choosing quality of viewing over size. While others will disagree, I found problems with projection (off-axis viewing) plasma (burn-in & life) lcos, dlp & lcd projection (bulb replacement, off-axis viewing, etc.). Whatever your choice you will find that it is a whole lot better than the 27".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree with shirasw. Was at a friends house yesterday with a 50 inch RP, viewing angles were horrible and it was just too big for how close they were. Personally I think the 34 is perfect for the 8 to 12 foot range, plus it doesn't make normal tv look terrible. Getting a directview avoids so many other problems...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. Went to look at the 34" 16:9 HDTV Toshiba again yesterday. Truly awesome picture, but it really does seem too small given my viewing distance. Probably going to take Randy's advice and put the $$$ towards the plasma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.