AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 4282 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
i guarantee if everyone's first home 3D experience was on my OLED, home 3D would be doing just fine.
Hi - new here, but just dropping in because -- this. I just splurged on a 55E6P entirely because of 3D. A friend recently got a 65 and I was blown away by how much better the 3D was than on my Panasonic ST30 plasma. Which I still love - it's still better than just about every other non-OLED TV -- but the E6P blows it away, and without active glasses. I had always been fond of 3D but honestly didn't watch it too much because it required putting in my contacts, a dark room, -- basically a commitment.

After my friend got the TV I actually went out and bought some better active glasses for my panasonic so I could wear them over glasses at least. Picked up a few new 3D films on blu ray and I was instantly re-hooked on it. Before long I broke down and decided to get the LG after I read that they were not going to be made with 3D any more.

Anyway ... I couldn't agree more. The passive tech on a 4K oled is stunning. It's too bad LG didn't just hang on a couple years until the OLED tech came down to a price point where more people would consider it. My hope is that if 3D cinema is still alive in a few years they will reconsider it.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Its certainly a treat in 3D but the movie itself tries a little too hard to make us care about Bullocks character and I just dont. The forced "my daughter died hitting her head" backstory seems pulled out of thin air. Her struggles, while sometimes tense seem extremely improbable too. Her character clearly was not ready the mission either. Its an OK film and has plenty of 3D wow - so for that alone its worth it.

The film itself is a little light though, IMO.
Sort of agree I was only recommending it for the visuals.

in the context of why it failed at home, my points still stand.

and active glasses are a big part of why it failed in the home.
Yes might be a part of it but for me and many I know they couldn't care less if it was active or passive as long as it works fine. The latest active glasses are pretty good but agree the first ones were a bit of a pain.

Just look at VR it is highly vomit inducing and require huge a thing on your head the resolutions and graphics are nowhere near the TV/PJ screen yet it is a huge hit because it fills your field of vision and so it's immersive which brings us back to size matters in this case and people put up with the pain when it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
If glasses were the issue,then 3d would have failed globally. In fact, it was the English speaking world that took offence - 3d is huge in Asia and a lot of 3d releases are Asia only.

The only difference is that their media didn't care about glasses - while over here every 3d thing is prefaced with "glasses suck".

Heck, how is VR supposed to be big, when you need expensive headsets that are worse than glasses, expensive computer gear, and more space than Kinect? It's just the media decided to not deride VR gear on those aspects. Heck, smartphone VR isn't even derided as crappy even though everyone in the VR business wants them gone.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
If glasses were the issue,then 3d would have failed globally. In fact, it was the English speaking world that took offence - 3d is huge in Asia and a lot of 3d releases are Asia only.

The only difference is that their media didn't care about glasses - while over here every 3d thing is prefaced with "glasses suck".

Heck, how is VR supposed to be big, when you need expensive headsets that are worse than glasses, expensive computer gear, and more space than Kinect? It's just the media decided to not deride VR gear on those aspects. Heck, smartphone VR isn't even derided as crappy even though everyone in the VR business wants them gone.
Exactly.

·
Registered
122 Posts

active glasses DO suck. the media coverage has nothing to do with that opinion. i can't speak as to why other cultures may or may not feel the same, (nor do i necessarily take your statement as fact,) but i seriously doubt it's because the media is telling them how to feel about them. more than likely Americans/westerners just have a lower tolerance for discomfort, or they're more prone to socializing or multitasking when the TV is on and thus glasses are too limiting.

likewise i don't think VR is going to catch on until the tech is convenient and unobtrusive. i don't give a crap if the media spin is negative or positive, i know i don't want to wear those things on my head.

·
UHD Addict
37,075 Posts
active glasses DO suck. the media coverage has nothing to do with that opinion. i can't speak as to why other cultures may or may not feel the same, (nor do i necessarily take your statement as fact,) but i seriously doubt it's because the media is telling them how to feel about them. more than likely Americans/westerners just have a lower tolerance for discomfort, or they're more prone to socializing or multitasking when the TV is on and thus glasses are too limiting.

likewise i don't think VR is going to catch on until the tech is convenient and unobtrusive. i don't give a crap if the media spin is negative or positive, i know i don't want to wear those things on my head.
I've typically liked active glasses over passive. At least for home use. The times I've used passive, I got eye fatigue very quickly. While with the active glasses I use with my DLP or UHD TV , I can use them for many hours without issues. I don't have a problem with passive in the theater yet I've always had a problem with them from home setups fro some reason.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

VR companies did a great job managing expectations for this generation's hardware. What's important is that these headsets nailed the basics and provide a significant leap in immersion and computer interaction that nothing else can compare to.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,556 Posts
Interesting video from HDTVTest advocating 3 reasons why you should buy an LG C6 OLED TV over a B6 series, and one reason why you shouldn't. Guess what the first reason is . . .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Interesting video from HDTVTest advocating 3 reasons why you should buy an LG C6 OLED TV over a B6 series, and one reason why you shouldn't.
I'm a supporter of viewing 3D on a passive screen with low crosstalk, but have begun to doubt whether the technology is good enough for today's HDR screens that combine high brightness with deep blacks.

I've noticed that crosstalk performance can receive different reports for the same model. It could be there is variation in performance from set to set depending on how the film-type patterned retarder has been affixed to the screen.

For example the review at https://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-b6p.html states "Crosstalk at times during 3D viewing (C6P)". However the review at https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-c6-oled55c6v-uhd-4k-tv-review.12713 states:

When we reviewed the LG EF950 OLED TV last year, we were rather disappointed by the 3D performance. The image suffered from the kind of crosstalk we were not expecting from a passive 3D display, although it might have been specific to our review sample – perhaps due to a slightly misaligned polarised filter. Thankfully the 3D performance on the C6 was absolutely stunning and amongst the best we have ever seen. The use of a passive polarised filter allowed a Full HD image to be delivered to each eye, with absolutely no crosstalk visible. We used the various 3D torture tests on the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray and the C6 passed with flying colours.
I have had three passive 3D TVs, one where the 3D was almost unusable because of severe ghosting (a cheap 2012 year Soniq), one where ghosting was apparent at times but on the whole the performance was satisfying (a 2013 year Sony), and one where the ghosting was somewhere in between (a 2015 year Sony).

I sincerely hope that the LG have good quality control over the OLED65C6P model such that the good 3D performance reported in the review video for the particular unit under test can be replicated and enjoyed when someone buys one of these sets out of a local retailer's stock. It really is a serious issue to switch on a new passive 3D set and be faced with noticeable ghosting/crosstalk!

Note: with film-type patterned retarder technology, correct vertical viewing angle is important for minimizing visible crosstalk. If you notice crosstalk, this is the first thing to check: is the TV at an appropriate height for the viewing position?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have an older 42" LG 1080P 3D TV which has excellent 3D and have kept it for use in my bedroom. I have a 4K 55" LG 3D TV in the living room, and it has evidence of ghosting. It sits on a TV entertainment center. But I think that it's tilt angle may be off slightly which is causing the ghosting issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw Gravity last weekend, I must say this is the best example of 3D I've seen yet and probably the best movie in the last 20 years. That being said, can 3D survive? It seems like there's just been too much post converted 3D, or lack of content to begin with. Haven't seen much released on Blu ray that's been decent 3D in awhile, all seems to just be post converted or just lame depth only stuff. If they don't make 3D standard on TV's I just don't see it continuing much longer.

I was really excited about a year ago, now I'm thinking about getting a 3D camcorder but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Is 3D once again, just another passing fad? I really hope not because there is a lot of potential with movies like Gravity and documentaries just doesn't seem to be gaining steam now. If you look at TV content it will probably disappear altogether in the next year. There's what, 2 channels left? ESPN's gone, which I never understood why that was 3D anyway if they weren't going to show live content, there's nothing new on 3D TV.

So are manufactures backing off 3D? Or is it still going forward like it was a few years ago? I noticed there's not much in the way of 3D camcorders.
3D is alive and well just ordered Ghost in The Shell 3D blu-ray. sorry to disappoint the haters.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,556 Posts
Ordered? Or Pre-ordered? It doesn't appear to come out on Blu ray until Aug.
And from where? I don't believe there is a 3-D version destined for the States.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,098
Tried to pick up Rogue One the other day in store but the 3D version was nowhere to be seen. Checked BB and Target, appears to be online only now for 3D. Picking up in store was nice for release day content because cost the same as online but they don't appear to be stocking Blu ray 3D's in-store any more. I don't know if this is the case everywhere. Best Buy has removed their 3D sections awhile back and mingled the 3D copies into the regular Blu rays, but my guess is they're not stocking them any more.

I looked to see if there were any other recent 3D releases at Best Buy but I didn't see any. So it's online only now, not going to waste my time looking in stores. It's been awhile since I picked anything up in store, about 3 months or so, the market has shifted to UHD or streaming.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Best Buy has removed their 3D sections awhile back and mingled the 3D copies into the regular Blu rays, but my guess is they're not stocking them any more.
It depends on the BB. I have two near me. One has no 3D titles except kids movies and they are mixed in. The other has some 3D titles and the employee told me they are changing their 3D positioning from mixed in with normal titles to mixed in with a dedicated 4K/3D section. I just bought The Martian 3D there.

In my area, Fry's is the best in-store for 3D. They have a dedicated 4k section and a dedicated 3D section, right next to each other.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tried to pick up Rogue One the other day in store but the 3D version was nowhere to be seen. Checked BB and Target, appears to be online only now for 3D. Picking up in store was nice for release day content because cost the same as online but they don't appear to be stocking Blu ray 3D's in-store any more. I don't know if this is the case everywhere. Best Buy has removed their 3D sections awhile back and mingled the 3D copies into the regular Blu rays, but my guess is they're not stocking them any more.

I looked to see if there were any other recent 3D releases at Best Buy but I didn't see any. So it's online only now, not going to waste my time looking in stores. It's been awhile since I picked anything up in store, about 3 months or so, the market has shifted to UHD or streaming.
Availability

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - SteelBook [Digital Copy] [3D] [Blu-ray/DVD] [Only @ Best Buy] 2016

Store Pickup

Available Today - ready in 1 hour
NORTHWEST WICHITA KS

2441 N MAIZE RD, WICHITA, KS 67205

3081 - 3100 of 4282 Posts