AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 4282 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I don't thinks it's got anything to with that, quite simply there isn't enough revenue in it, and at the end of the day that is what corporations care about not matter what we do.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
They should have waited to bring out 4K until they could get it to do 3D. I don't care about slightly higher resolution if I'm losing 3D- this whole mishandling of 3D by the industry has got to be the biggest screw-up in its entire history!
I think they are purposely killing 3D.

Step 1: release 4k+hdr
Step 2: kill 3d
Step 3: get people to rebuy hardware and movies in 4k+hdr
Step 4: Once step 3 is milked, reintroduce 3d as "4K HDR Holographic 3D" using glasses-free technology
Step 5: get people to rebuy hardware and movies in 4k+hdr+3d
Step 1-5: Profit.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Step 4 never going to happen--way too expensive and fraught with eye parallax issues for a big audience--for personal projectors would require a very specific expensive screen. There will headset 3D VR, though, but not much for large audiences, my guess, except very specialized theater setups. Money does rule in the US, anyway. It might surprise us to see that foreign countries keep up the current 3D with glasses trend for much longer than the US does.

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
It's huge in China right now. That's why some movies only get released in 3D there.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Step 4 never going to happen--way too expensive and fraught with eye parallax issues for a big audience--for personal projectors would require a very specific expensive screen. There will headset 3D VR, though, but not much for large audiences, my guess, except very specialized theater setups. Money does rule in the US, anyway. It might surprise us to see that foreign countries keep up the current 3D with glasses trend for much longer than the US does.
The tech is ready to go for TVs apparently:
Http://www.mashable.com/2016/01/05/glasses-free-3d-tv/

It doesn't need to even come to projectors if it arrives on TVs. People with pjs would be able to use the same discs with 3d glasses.

The idea being if TV manufacturers are planning to sell a new feature, they have to greatly separate it from the old feature - so killing regular 3d is one way to spur purchases of a new enhanced 3d down the line.

This sort of thing could create a new market of content for 4K 3D. Electronics manufacturers are going to keep introducing new features, and given its evolution I think glasses free 4k 3d on TVs is inevitable and just a matter of time. It would be a perfect mid cycle feature to roll out to get people to rebuy 4k TV/BD/Receiver hardware before an 8k market is established.

I anticipate this to happen around 2020, well after hdmi 2.1 is prevalent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The reason I stopped going to 3d movies in the theater is they are always miscalibrated in my area. Considering I have a 3DTV that looks amazing (Vizio E3D series), I get my 3d fix that way :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The last 3D movie I went to at the theater had lots of kids in it, and guess what, I would say half the kids had their glasses off after 15 minutes, while parents had them on. They still laughed and enjoyed the movie, but it told me more than I needed to know about where 3D was going to end up. Kids just didn't see the need for 3D, or the misaligned images bothered them, and blurry images were okay with them. I can't imagine what was going on in their brains, but I could see it was the parents who wanted it without regard to what effect it had on the kids.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've never seen a 3D film in a theater. I just don't go to theaters for movies anymore. Too many noisy and rude people and phone screens lighting up, etc. I like to really lose myself in any movie I watch, and am constantly being yanked out of immersion by the hordes of bozos around me.

Oh, and get off my lawn!

LOL...

Reactions: TomcatTLC

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
The last 3D movie I went to at the theater had lots of kids in it, and guess what, I would say half the kids had their glasses off after 15 minutes, while parents had them on. They still laughed and enjoyed the movie, but it told me more than I needed to know about where 3D was going to end up. Kids just didn't see the need for 3D, or the misaligned images bothered them, and blurry images were okay with them. I can't imagine what was going on in their brains, but I could see it was the parents who wanted it without regard to what effect it had on the kids.
In my area, I've never seen that. All the kids and adults keep their 3D glasses on. Although they are also paying $12 to $19 per person. Depending on the time in the 3D IMAX theater.

I don't go to the Real 3D showings any more. Those costs a little less. So maybe that happens in those theaters?

Reactions: King Richard

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
I've never seen a 3D film in a theater. I just don't go to theaters for movies anymore. Too many noisy and rude people and phone screens lighting up, etc. I like to really lose myself in any movie I watch, and am constantly being yanked out of immersion by the hordes of bozos around me.

Oh, and get off my lawn!

LOL...
I'm going to the theater more than I have in years now. Since the theaters near me now do reserve seating for the IMAX and Dolby theaters, I'm able to get there ten or 15 minutes after previews start. And it's extremely rare for me to run into any noisy people or people looking at their phones.

I only wish that the AMC theaters near me with the DOlby cinemas did 3D also. They only do 2D. There are a couple of Regal theaters in the area with Dolby Cinemas in 3D that my Brother goes to, but I stick with the AMC theaters since it costs me less with their rewards program. Plus those Regal locations alternate 2D and 3D showings, further limiting when you can see them

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm going to the theater more than I have in years now. Since the theaters near me now do reserve seating for the IMAX and Dolby theaters, I'm able to get there ten or 15 minutes after previews start. And it's extremely rare for me to run into any noisy people or people looking at their phones.

I only wish that the AMC theaters near me with the DOlby cinemas did 3D also. They only do 2D. There are a couple of Regal theaters in the area with Dolby Cinemas in 3D that my Brother goes to, but I stick with the AMC theaters since it costs me less with their rewards program. Plus those Regal locations alternate 2D and 3D showings, further limiting when you can see them
That's cool. Sounds like you have some nice options in your area.

·
Registered
642 Posts
FYI my beauty and the beast 3D came in yesterday from Amazon UK. Region unlocked plays fine in my US player.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RxpSGR and aaronwt

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
Just saw this article - IMAX Is Moving Away From 3-D: ‘Consumers Have Shown a Strong Preference’: http://www.thewrap.com/imax-moving-away-3d-consumers-shown-strong-preference/
:mad::mad::mad:

I have been choosing IMAX 3D over DOlby Vision 2D at the AMC theaters here. But typically if it's just in 2D, I will choose the Dolby Cinema over IMAX. So I guess I won't be seeing as many movies in the IMAX theaters if they cut out 3D.:mad:

The article says “Blade Runner 2049” will be shown in 2-D exclusively at IMAX theaters when it opens in October. I definitely won't be seeing Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX then.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Record number of 3d movies and yet 8% drop in attendance.

No one is killing the 3d cash cow because in reality it's a dog business unit. Divestiture, which is what's really happening, is what businesses do every day with products that perform poorly with consumers. There is no evil CEO with a vandetta against 3d.

·
Registered
153 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:

I have been choosing IMAX 3D over DOlby Vision 2D at the AMC theaters here. But typically if it's just in 2D, I will choose the Dolby Cinema over IMAX. So I guess I won't be seeing as many movies in the IMAX theaters if they cut out 3D.:mad:

The article says “Blade Runner 2049” will be shown in 2-D exclusively at IMAX theaters when it opens in October. I definitely won't be seeing Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX then.
My wife and I saw one 2D movie in IMAX and decided it wasn't worth the surcharge of $4/ticket. Seeing things in 3D IMAX is even a greater surcharge. Real 3D is what we like and we do pay the surcharge.

Saddened by another decline in 3D options though. I don't want 3D to disappear :(

Reactions: King Richard
3161 - 3180 of 4282 Posts