AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about 99% sure I will be getting a PS3 in soon, but I cannot decide between which model. I don't really care about backwards capability of the 80gb, and I do prefer that the 40gb is quieter. One thing I have noticed is that many of the PS3 games take up huge amounts of space on the hard drive. I would not be downloading videos or saving songs and pictures to my hard drive, but I would be saving games and downloading them from PSN as well. If this is all I am using my hard drive for, is 40gb enough?

·
Registered
500 Posts
FWIW, i got an 80gig last night after going back and forth for awhile on which to get.

I was quite happy to find that the 80gig is about dead silent as far as i can tell. And thats w/ being on and playing games for 3 hours straight.

Maybe mine is special, or the older ones were louder, or something, but based on mine, id consider the noise a nonissue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
before dl'ing videos and putting my music on the ps3 i had only put about 20gigs worth of demos and games (and there was quite a bit of stuff too), i think 40 gigs would be fine for you, + like others have said you can always easily upgrade the hdd

and i wouldnt even worry about sound as an issue, my 60gig is silent from 6ft away

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan450 /forum/post/12848477

before dl'ing videos and putting my music on the ps3 i had only put about 20gigs worth of demos and games (and there was quite a bit of stuff too), i think 40 gigs would be fine for you, + like others have said you can always easily upgrade the hdd

and i wouldnt even worry about sound as an issue, my 60gig is silent from 6ft away

My PS3 will be in a closet directy behind my bed (I have a wierd set-up with limited space). FWIW I have a 360 that I am selling, so I guess the 80gb can be no worse than the 360.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl /forum/post/12848710

My PS3 will be in a closet directy behind my bed (I have a wierd set-up with limited space). FWIW I have a 360 that I am selling, so I guess the 80gb can be no worse than the 360.

If BC and SACD is not a concern for you, I'd opt for the 40GB model as it outputs a bit less heat, and would likely suit your particular setup better I think.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Look at it this way. I got a 360 last Christmas, have 10 or 11 XBLA games, played about 25 or 30 regular games. I have never deleted a save or an XBLA game I purchased. The system came with I believe 13 usable gigs. If I take out demos currently on my HDD I would have about 11 gigs. So, one year, 2 gigs.

Now, PS3 is obviously different because some games install a file to your HD, but those are usually no more than 250-500 megs, and you can delete them when you are done with the game and it doesn't affect saves.

Unless you want to put a ton of media on your HD 40 gigs will be fine for the entire life of PS3. And even if you do, just swap it out. HDD size is not a good purchasing criteria for PS3.

·
Registered
572 Posts
ultimately. it depends on what yo will be storing on the hdd. If you are going to store your music library, movies, pictures etc... than it will fill up rather quick. i stored 6 movies @ 4 gigs a piece, my whole music library, and a bunch of pictures off the camera and im left with 90 gigs out of 160.

if you will be storing game demos/saves, trailers from the PSN... 40gb is fine.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
only a handful of games install 2GB or more; some installing none while others install a few hundred MB. afaik, there are only 2 games that install more than 2GB, and those are UT3 and DMC4. so, i figure an average would be around 2GB or less. now, if you plan on having 10-15 games, thats 20-30GB. i figure a 40GB PS3 will actually have about 32-33GB after format ("40GB" is actually 40,000,000,000 bytes, which equals ~37GB - then the PS3 reserves some space for cache and the OS etc.). with that said, even if you have a fairly large library of 15-20 games, theres a good chance you will not be playing the games you purchased earlier on, so you can always delete the game files (which are separate from the saved files - you'll just have to install the game again when you want to play it). now factor in how many demos or games from PSN (which are usually around 900MB, more or less). if you don't plan on having that many games, then i think 40GB will suffice.

and like others have said, you can always upgrade your HDD, which is quite simple to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
40gb without a doubt. Just buy a bigger HD right from the start, that way you don't have to go through the data transfer hassle later on.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAaron /forum/post/12855843

40gb without a doubt. Just buy a bigger HD right from the start, that way you don't have to go through the data transfer hassle later on.

Then why not just buy the 80gb to start with?

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/12858799

yea, the 160G drive can be bought for $100 or so. That's better than 80! Plus you'll still have the 40!

So then wouldnt the 20gb be a better purchase?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
question about the wi fi. as i understand it i dont need to buy any cables. the wi fi in the play station 3 will automatically detect an internet signal? i have a router but it will be about 100 feet away from the play station.

also, i do plan to play cod4 online so im not sure if i should just look for a ps3 with 20gb, use cable and connect it to router (for better less lagg conection?), and then just buy another hard drive.

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
for the wifi to work you need an access point or router. 100' should work but you will need a line of sight if you want good performance.

I use the ethernet cord. Wifi does add lag and the PS3's wifi isn't that great IMO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts