Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 42" plasma purchase.

My viewing distance is approx 9 ft - but that could be decreased (not increased).

Was wondering whether a 42 inch plasma is too small fpr dvd viewing. I believe that with the dot pitch at 1.08 mm , that you can't get that close to the screen before pixelation becomes a problem.

I have been going back and forth between FP (dlp) and 42 inch plasma - size is a concern.

Any opions from 42" or 50" users out there?

thanks,

jls

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Hi , I have just upgraded from a NEC 42" Plasma to a DAVIS DLP Projector.

My viewing distance is 10-12 feet and am currently running a 84" 4:3 screen.

The viewing IMPACT from the DLP over the Plasma is stunning!! You really get the THEATRE effect ( which has been my goal, but wasnt acheived with the Plasma).

DVD,s Satellite TV, look incredibly sharp and full of detail, it has become a pleasure to watch movies again, NO more "FALSE CONTOURING " , any other Plasma Traits...

Quite a few of my freinds have previously viewed my Plasma and have commented on how the SIZE, DETAIL, of the DLP is so much more enjoyable!!

BUT!!!!!! It all comes down to personal taste.......try to audition "BOTH" options before you make a decision....

For me..DLP is now the better option!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a Panasonic 42" and have several seats in the viewing distance of 9'. It provides a great picture at that distance but I wouldn't take anyone else's opinion since you will be the one viewing it. Take a tape and view for yourself at that distance before spending the $$.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For standard-definition content - that means DVD - you'll never want to be closer than 7 screen heights. The nine-foot distance you describe is inside that threshold. You will see artifacts of the limited resolution OF THE DVD. Line doublers - and an HiDef plasma - will reduce the artifacts and you'll enjoy sitting closer. This will make DVD more of a theater experience, because of course the picture you watch will appear bigger.

Nonetheless, look forward: You'll have HDTV pictures coming sometime soon. With HD, you can sit as close as 3.5 screen heights and not see pixels (again, on a hi-def monitor).

Since we're talking plasma 42" monitors, and screen height equalling about 21", here's the bottom line:

DVD - - -> 12 1/2 feet

HDTV - - -> 6 1/2 feet

·
Registered
411 Posts
trainerdave,

I would bet that most 42" Panasonic plasma owners in this forum have seats closer than 12 1/2 feet for DVD viewing without problems with artifacts. In fact my seating area that is the greatest distance is 12 1/2 feet with everything else inside of it.

Viewing distance has great subjectivity and changes as you described with some variables. I must disagree with your bottom line at least in my viewing room and with my equipment and my eyes.

The best way to find out one's sweet spot is to view it with source material as in it's intended use rather than rely on another's subjective opinion. However jlsavs asked for opinions from 42" and 50" owners so I gave mine. I've always been told opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I sit about 8 feet from my Panny. It is used primarily for viewing NTSC. I am delighted by the picture.

Mark

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a bit confused ... since a pixel is a pixel. 'and at 1.08 dot pitch, hi-def doesn't change this physical attribute.

I would think you notice pixel structure at a certain distance, regardless of the video input qualities - ie HD or not.

My thinking is that if Pioneer's upcoming 43 inch with 768 lines, will have a finer dot pitch (likely around .80) and that will let you sit alot closer to the screen for all sources ... thereby giving you a virtually bigger image.

jlsavs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Jlsavs, your logic is true to a point.

The better the source, the better the picture, the more it stands up to scrutiny.

I have Crossing Jordan on right now in HD. The show is not very good. I can sit up close and the picture looks great: crisp, rich color, etc.

With Tivo-based stuff (standalone, not combo box; I have both), the picture is so icky that it requires a bit more distance to have the weak picture quality be less noticeable.

FWIW,

Mark

·
Registered
411 Posts
jlsavs

While dot pitch is very important in the resolution of the picture, there are many elements which impact on the "realness" or "pleasing" impact of the picture. Chipsets, contrast ratios, filters etc are but a few of the items that impact (at least as I have been told by engineers).

There was a time when I would try to follow the spec sheets and compare to ultimately make my decision. A few years ago I saw a Hitachi direct view that had all the specs I was looking for but when I saw the picture it just didn't look as good to me as some others with lesser specs. Just because a truck may have twice the horsepower of a small car doesn't mean it is faster.

Do yourself a favor: study the specs, read all you can, obtain opinions from others - then view for yourself. Rogo and I watch our 42" Panasonics from 8' and like it while trainerdave says never closer than 12 1/2 feet; both could be wrong for your tastes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.