AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from trying to help my dad install his LN-R408D with an HDMI cable. It was hooked up yesterday by the cable guy with the component cables and worked well with pass-thru mode on the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. SD channels would output through the component cables as 480i so it could be stretched with the TV's Panorama mode if desired. HD channels would pass through as 720p/1080i no problem. I can't get the HDMI cable to work the same way.

The 8300HD STB has six output modes: 480i, 480i widescreen, 480p, 480p widescreen, 720p and 1080i. Going through the individual modes I cannot get the TV to display using the HDMI with 480i, 480i widescreen and 480p. It would switch to a no signal message from the TV on those outputs. Is this the way HDMI is set up, or is something misconfigured/broken? The only way I could get it to display all the channels was to set the box to upconvert everything to 1080i, but the problems were all the SD channels were 4:3 letterboxed and the STB wouldn't allow stretch mode, and the TV's panorama mode doesn't work in HD modes either. Real PIA this thing. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm pretty sure HDMI can't display 480i since HDMI is purely digital and 480i isn't. Not sure about 480p though. My 26" Maxent with a Moto 6412 can display it just fine, although I'm using DVI, but from what I've read, currently there isn't much difference between DVI and HDMI, only that HDMI also carries audio.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23
I'm pretty sure HDMI can't display 480i since HDMI is purely digital and 480i isn't. Not sure about 480p though. My 26" Maxent with a Moto 6412 can display it just fine, although I'm using DVI, but from what I've read, currently there isn't much difference between DVI and HDMI, only that HDMI also carries audio.
You guessed wrong. 480i is supported by HDMI. Some DVD players output 480i via HDMI. A display with HDMI input should support 480i input because the HDMI chipsets support it.

Jason,

I assume the stb has HDMI output? I can believe it does not send 480i, but 480p? 480i will only work if HDMI is on both ends and the source devices sends it. You may get help in the HDTV Hardware forum too.

larry

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Jason,

On both my Samsung DLP (HLP5063) and LCD (LN-R328W), the HDMI input does not accept 480i. It accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i. I have the 8300 (Passport not SARA software like your Dad's) connected to my DLP and enable all resolutions other than 480i. Works very well - really don't notice any issues from the STB converting 480i to 480p. In my area (TWC in NYC), virtually all of the SD channels (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3) have been converted to digital and the 8300 processes them as 480p anyway.

Not really sure why the Samsung won't accept 480i over HDMI as it is definitely part of the HDMI spec but that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott
Jason,

On both my Samsung DLP (HLP5063) and LCD (LN-R328W), the HDMI input does not accept 480i. It accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i. I have the 8300 (Passport not SARA software like your Dad's) connected to my DLP and enable all resolutions other than 480i. Works very well - really don't notice any issues from the STB converting 480i to 480p. In my area (TWC in NYC), virtually all of the SD channels (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3) have been converted to digital and the 8300 processes them as 480p anyway.

Not really sure why the Samsung won't accept 480i over HDMI as it is definitely part of the HDMI spec but that's just the way it is.
Thanks Eric. I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support and was told the same, 480i is not supported by HDMI by any Samsung TV's. Extremely, extremely lame. I said to the guy on one hand the panorama modes don't work on anything other than 480i and on the other hand you don't support 480i via HDMI. Ridiculous. I can't get the 480p mode to work either, but it'll be the same problem with the stretch mode lock out on the STB i have at 1080i anyways. Looks like i'll just keep it hooked up with components and scratch HDMI. The picture did look better with the HDMI cable on HD channels, which is the shame here. Very disappointed in Samsung.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the same problem with the Maxent 42" I just bought. It will only accept 720p or 1080i when I connect it to the cable box via HDMI.

My Sharp 32" had no problem switching to 480p, and I always did when watching SD. Now I'm stuck either watching SD with the bars and risking burn-in, or stretching out the 1080i and getting a distorted image.

Component works with 480p in pass-through mode, but the image is just plain terrible, unwatchable really.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30
Thanks Eric. I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support and was told the same, 480i is not supported by HDMI by any Samsung TV's. Extremely, extremely lame. I said to the guy on one hand the panorama modes don't work on anything other than 480i and on the other hand you don't support 480i via HDMI. Ridiculous. I can't get the 480p mode to work either, but it'll be the same problem with the stretch mode lock out on the STB i have at 1080i anyways. Looks like i'll just keep it hooked up with components and scratch HDMI. The picture did look better with the HDMI cable on HD channels, which is the shame here. Very disappointed in Samsung.
Can you hook it up with both connections and switch inputs to get stretchability when you want it?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Jason,

I would take marty's suggestion - you can use either S-Video or Component for SD channels - probably will look better anyway - and then you preserve your picture mode options. Still use HDMI for HD. Have to switch inputs to get teh picture mode flexiblity but it will work.

Personally I hate the panorama mode so it never really bothered me. I watch 4:3 as 4:3 and that's available no matter what format you pass to the TV.

I agree though, there is no reason why Samsung should disable 480i over HDMI - unless of course it was really expensive to implement DCDi over HDMI.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott
Jason,

I would take marty's suggestion - you can use either S-Video or Component for SD channels - probably will look better anyway - and then you preserve your picture mode options. Still use HDMI for HD. Have to switch inputs to get teh picture mode flexiblity but it will work.
Thanks for the help guys. I agree that's the best way to go although it'll probably confuse the hell out of my dad :) He was already rolling his eyes when I was going through the twelve dozen stretch mode options. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.