AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input here, thinking about adding height speakers for Atmos, with just the 1 pair of height speakers is it worth it over my current 5.1 set up? I’m very happy with my current set up, movies already sound amazing and realistic but since my AVR supports 1 pair of overhead or height speakers it’s got me curious. Who has a 5.1.2 set up and what has it added over 5.1?

·
Registered
28,464 Posts
home theater is more enveloping with overhead speakers vs 5.1. What type of movie do you watch? If action films you'll appreciate the difference.

2 overhead speakers is good, 4 would be better. 2 is better than none.

Reactions: sigpig and Wade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
home theater is more enveloping with overhead speakers vs 5.1. What type of movie do you watch? If action films you'll appreciate the difference.

2 overhead speakers is good, 4 would be better. 2 is better than none.
definitely the blockbusters! Do you notice height or ceiling speakers much during the movie? Are overheads much more effective vs height speakers for atmos?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looking for some input here, thinking about adding height speakers for Atmos, with just the 1 pair of height speakers is it worth it over my current 5.1 set up? I’m very happy with my current set up, movies already sound amazing and realistic but since my AVR supports 1 pair of overhead or height speakers it’s got me curious. Who has a 5.1.2 set up and what has it added over 5.1?
I bought some height Speakers and really didn't like it. I ended up cutting holes in my ceiling and added two 6 1/2 inch drivers. I think they work well. Definitely Worth it IMO.

Later on when I upgrade my AVR, currently have the X3400H, I'll definitely add two more in ceiling Atmos Speakers and probably step them up to bigger drivers ( 8inch)

·
Registered
28,989 Posts
...with just the 1 pair of height speakers is it worth it over my current 5.1 set up?
If you can tell the difference between sounds coming from around you versus sounds coming from above you, then it is worth going Atmos. Your current set-up provides a nice 2D ring of sound. Height speakers will turn that into a 3D bubble of sound.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I'd strongly encourage you to go out and listen to an actual Atmos setup for yourself to see if it really warrants the financial investment, especially given the fact that there are STILL relatively small amounts of native Atmos content available after all these years. Not clear IMO whether this format will really stick around or if it's just another flash in the pan. Of course the audio industry loves to hype it up, since it results in consumers buying more speakers and more expensive receivers that can drive more channels.

I went out and listened to a $10K Atmos setup a while back, with proper in-ceiling speakers and all the goodies. Heard the opening scenes of "Mad Max Fury Road," "Guardians of the Galaxy," and the whole Dolby Atmos demo BR disk. Was very underwhelmed....just seemed incredibly trivial and gimmicky to me compared to a normal high quality 5.1 setup...all that trouble just to add a vertical dimension to the sound effects? ZZZZZZZZZZZ! But some folks do find it worthwhile---I just think it's best to let your own ears decide rather than leaping on the bandwagon blindly.

Also, bring along a favorite movie of yours that you've watched many times, that is NOT mixed in native Atmos. Have the shop use their receiver to "upmix" it into Atmos. This will give you a more accurate idea of what type of "Atmos" you'll actually be listening to most of the time, rather than an "Atmos" demo clip which is designed to sell the format.

Reactions: Wade.

·
Registered
28,464 Posts
why do you feel you need 8" drivers for Atmos? Not much bass heavy content is sent there and the subwoofer would handle the lower bass

Reactions: Wade.

·
Registered
943 Posts
why do you feel you need 8" drivers for Atmos? Not much bass heavy content is sent there and the subwoofer would handle the lower bass
I watch movies at reference level. My 6 inch drivers starts to fall on its face ( probably poor build quality) I have to back the trim down to prevent distortion. I currently have some Sonance Mag6R I got on sale for $149 for a pair. I'm looking at the RSL C34E when I do upgrade to 5.1.4

Funny thing is the RSL are not even 8 inch drivers lol but IMO bigger is always better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts