AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

My room is very weird for a 5.1 setup. here is a link to a room planner on the raymour and flanigan site that i used to map out the room. The measurements are all accurate. There was no way to save it and insert into the post.

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/room_...9-D8B3A92F214C

I am not sure if I should even bother with surround, maybe just 2.1 or 3.1 if I have to.

The bottom wall is open to the kitchen. The sub would go where the cat is (there is not really a cat
).

The rear speakers would go where the plants are( no plants really, either
), at the top of the wall near the ceiling. Unfortunately, this position for the rears can not be changed. It's either there or no rears at all
The 2 fronts and the center would go in the cabinet just below the tv screen.

There is only two of us and the main seating is the chair and the end of the sofa nearest the plant.

The tv is a Vizio 37" lcd in the corner cabinet

The receiver is a Pioneer vsx 520k

I appreciate any help if this is a possible setup

Thank you

Tony

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is the corner cabinet a permanent fixture? If not, I would get rid of it and get a stand that you can place directly in front of the couch, then you wouldnt have any issues with 5.1 surround.

Otherwise, if you MUST use that cabinet, I would move the couch so it faces the tv directly and then place two rears on stands behind the couch. For me, its not even an option to not have atleast 5.1 surround. The difference is pretty dramatic.

It all comes down to what is more important, the decorating or the tv viewing experience. In my house, its an easy choice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am more into surround and movies than my girlfriend. I set up a spare bedroom with 5.1 and an LCD and had been watching movies in there. She would be fine with just the TV speakers. She just wants to watch the NY Giants in hi-def, sound doesn't matter. There is no way I will be able to move the furniture for this.

Assuming I have to leave everything as described, do you think I can get any benefit with the surround by adjusting delay or something. I will definitely be doing at least 2.1 and the speakers I will be getting (Yamaha in a box
but I use them in the bedroom and they sound pretty good to me) include all 6 speakers so I will see how it sounds before running wire through the walls.

You do give me an idea about the stands though. While I realize it is far from perfect, maybe I will put one speaker on a stand behind the chair and one behind the sofa, and see how that sounds. I didn't realize it would be ok to have a speaker right behind the listener, but you mentioned behind the couch so maybe it will be ok.

All I can do is try a few things and see how it sounds.

Thanks a bunch

Tony

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you considered in-ceiling speakers for your rears? I have seen others who have similar issues with one person being against rearranging the room. So compromise is required.

Re delay & volume to compensate for the speaker placement -- Check your manual to see if your AVR has this feature. I bet it does. I have a Pioneer Sc 05 & it does a great job & I had an older Pioneer VSX-D912 b4 that did a decent job. You set a mic in your listening position & follow instructions to automatically calibrate your speakers. It will end up sounding as if all speakers are equal distance from the primary sitting position. If you can upgrade, the higher end AVRs do a better job of this.

There is also the option to hang the TV on the wall & even have in-wall center & L&R speakers with the rears in the ceiling. Then only the electronics need be in the cabinet. Depends on how much money you are able & willing to spend.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would place both rears behind the couch if you are leaving everything as is. It seems that you may be trying to create a good surround experience at the chair and the couch and I wouldnt do that. They are too far apart and I just dont see how that could work. In my home theater everything is geared to sound perfect at one particular spot, where I sit!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I will use stands behind the sofa only. This will make setup easier, both wiring wise and sound wise. We can both sit on the sofa to watch a movie, and it would only take a minute to go into the receiver settings to change 5.1 to 3.1 or vice versa if needed. I will try it both ways but it looks like the sofa only may be the best bet.

Will a speaker that close to the listener be a problem. I didn't measure but it would seem to be less than 12" away at ear level.

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
I dont know if its ideal but its what I did for two years and I didnt have a problem at all. Although My receiver could adjust for where the speakers were placed, depends on your receiver I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts