AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at getting an Onkyo 787. it passes HDTV through a 50Mhz component connection. is this adequate? thank you.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar:
i'm looking at getting an Onkyo 787. it passes HDTV through a 50Mhz component connection. is this adequate? thank you.

In simple terms yes. But it's a bit more complicated. Analog circuits are never flat across the frequency spectrum. They roll off at the high and low end of ther response curve. What you hope for is that they are flat in the frequency band you are interested in. For 1080i you want to be flat out to 30mhz. In a consumer system even -3db at 30mhz is quite acceptable. But if the Onkyo is lets say is 25db down at 50mhz, it may be 10db down at 30mhz which is not good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The normal way of quoting bandwidth is the 3db drop off point. Assuming the component in question is 3db down at 50 MHz, then this is probably just fine. It's kind of on the border where if all your equipment was broadcast-grade, then it might produce a slightly noticeable softening, but with normal equipment it will probably be just fine.

-Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.