AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into this home theater thing with my 1910 Denon receiver. I am really confused by all this Dolby EX, prologic iiz, 7.1, 9.1, blah blah blah...

Due to space concerns I can't really do a 7.1 system so I will be doing a 5.1. How do I know which mode to use on my receiver? I am just reading about these speakers that go above the front speakers. I can do those. Are they really better than a standard 5.1?

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingaboard /forum/post/18171639

Due to space concerns I can't really do a 7.1 system so I will be doing a 5.1. How do I know which mode to use on my receiver? I am just reading about these speakers that go above the front speakers. I can do those. Are they really better than a standard 5.1?

6.1 is one rear speaker behind the listening position. The two extra front speakers are called (at least by Yamaha) "presence speakers." Whether that's better or not is purely a matter of personal preference. The owner's manual is your friend.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:

I am just getting into this home theater thing with my 1910 Denon receiver. I am really confused by all this Dolby EX, prologic iiz, 7.1, 9.1, blah blah blah...

6.1 is different than "speakers going above the front speakers". You are obviously new to this. I would suggest you stick up with 5.1 and then you can always add speakers later on if you like. A big mistake would be buying lower quality speakers because you need more of them in a PLIIZ setting. You will achieve better sound reproduction with a 5.1 with better than speakers than a 7.1/6.1 with poor speakers.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

Quote:

... I am just reading about these speakers that go above the front speakers. I can do those.

As imacmil stated, it is by Yamaha and would need one of their receivers to run the front presence speakers as it is their matrixing that handles it. I would not do that unless you already have one of their receivers that can matrix front presence channels.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ /forum/post/18175003

As imacmil stated, it is by Yamaha and would need one of their receivers to run the front presence speakers as it is their matrixing that handles it. I would not do that unless you already have one of their receivers that can matrix front presence channels.

I think the OP means DPLIIz -- which [IIRC] is supported on his Denon AVR-1910...?!

·
Registered
30,857 Posts

Quote:

Are they really better than a standard 5.1?

Sure. More speakers can always do things that fewer speakers can't, no matter how good they are. One great speaker can't throw a stereo soundstage the way 2 (even average) speakers can. 2 great speakers can't provide surround localization the way a good 5.1 speaker layout can. A great 5.1 layout can't give you stable rear-vs-side separation in the surround field the way a decent 7.1 set-up can. And so on.

Every once in a while, IF the conditions in your set-up are juuuust right, you might hear height imaging in the front soundstage. But not with the consistency and stability of actual speakers placed high above the front soundstage (doesn't matter where you're sitting or how good the speakers are).

Since you have no space behind you for the rear speakers of a 7.1 set-up, stick to 5.1 for now. If you're curious about what height speakers sound like, then temporarily use your surrounds up front and try the PLIIz mode. If you like the results, do a 5.1+height set-up. If not, then go back to the traditional 5.1 layout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts