AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 20x25 room with couch and recliner at the back wall (it's setup long rather than wide) and surrounds to either side. I am redoing my home theater and am currently installing the following setup:

Receiver: Pioneer SC-1323k

Fronts: Polk Monitor 45b

Center: Polk Monitor 45b

Surrounds: Polk Monitor 45b

Sub: Pinnacle Rhino Twelve

This will mainly be for watching movies on Blu-Ray, DVD, Cable, and Netflix. With the current setup, I'll be running it in 5.1 and I have one speaker unused. I was wondering if it was worth my time to run speaker wire to use it as a 6.1 setup. Due to window placement behind the couch, I cannot put in 2 rear speakers...plus I don't have two.

Eventually, I'm hoping to add a pair of Polk Monitor 75t's to the front and go front wide with the 45b's that they'd replace. At that point, I wouldn't have enough channels for the 6.1. I was just curious if it was even worth doing at all or if 6.1 causes too much of an odd dynamic.

·
Registered
30,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2  /t/1521002/is-6-1-worth-it-for-my-setup-or-should-i-stick-with-5-1#post_24439443

with couch and recliner at the back wall
Stick to a 5.1-speaker layout, with the surrounds high up in the back corners of the room.

Since your room is 25 feet long, can you move maybe 5 feet from the back wall?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, no. The couch can't move forward more than 6-8 inches. There's a wood stove along the side wall that limits the room layout.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
5.1 for now, pre wire for 10.x + ceiling VOG speaker for future proofing...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435778/moving-past-7-1-5-1-into-9-1-11-2-upgrade-ht-room-via-audysseydsx-dolbypl-iiz-dts-neo-x-auro-3d/510#post_24424561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex  /t/1498937/the-beast-unleashed/180#post_24424557

This thread made me do some quick research, looks like 10.x is what Auro is working on for home theatres
http://www.auro-3d.com/system/concept/

Quote:
Top Layer : Situated directly above the listener. Enhances the realism of fly-over effects by creating a bridge with the Height Layer. This combination produces an enveloping sphere or 'cocoon of sound' around the listener.

Height Layer (40° above the Lower Layer): The most important layer in the creation of immersive sound AROUND the listener. The capturing of ambient reflections in this layer allows Auro-3D® to deliver a more natural sound & improve sound source localization.

Lower Layer (0°-20°): 2D horizontal plane where ear-level source sounds are located.
Home Theater (small rooms); Auro 10.1 (+ Top Ceiling / VOG)

Quote:
100% compatibility between all Auro-3D® listening formats have a Height Channel above and around the listener, which is crucial to a fully immersive experience.

This is unattainable with only a Top Layer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts