AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have an older 50" RCA 4:3 RPTV. This weekend I hope to buy one of the Samsung DLP's. I'm trying to decide between the 50" and 60" TV's. My viewing distance is approximately 9 feet. Here are my concerns, hoping for some advice and sage wisdom

Right now I have no trouble with my 50" screen size for 4:3 material. I use Dish sat TV. I do notice a lot of MPEG artifacts, especially on the crappy over compressed locals. DVDs look great. I know that for the 50" 16:9 the DVD picture will be quite a bit bigger than it currently is letterboxed on my 50" 4:3.

But, my problem is the 50" 16:9 just looks kind of small when I compare it to my 4:3 set. I'm wondering if I will be annoyed at the smaller standard def picture (4:3) I would get on the new 16:9 set.I guess the Samsung has some stretch modes like Panorama that cause 4:3 material to look pretty expanded to the near 16:9 aspect. So, that might take some of my perceived "smallness" away.

Now, I've compared 60" and 50" 16:9 TV's in the stores from my approximate viewing distance. The 60" seems like it would not be too big for me from that distance, but I haven't watched a whole full screen movie to be sure. And, will I be unhappy if I get the 60" because it will magnify any "artifacts" or "impurities" and make them too noticeable? I'm worried that the standard def dish channels and less than perfect DVD's might actually look better on the smaller 50" screen.

So, what do you guys think? Any advice? Do I follow the old adage to buy big, and hope I won't regret it, or save a few hundred and go for the smaller, but surley adequate 50"?

·
Registered
963 Posts
IMO, for your viewing distance, 50" is the largest I would go.

It all comes down to personal preference.

I debated between the 43" and 50" (viewing from 8-9') and ended up deciding on the 43".

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm at 8" and I have a 50". Sometimes I wonder if I should have snagged a 60" instead, but I would NOT be happy if I had gone smaller. I think you will be happy with the 50". The 60" will make the SD material look even worse. I also think you will end up watching 4:3 in 4:3 rather than panorama or zoom. I zoom letterboxed TV like Enterprise and West Wing, but all 4:3 stuff I watch in normal. Panorama works oka sometimes, but it stretches the edges and makes thing look weird over there. Since there is no burn in issue, I don't see why you'd want to distort the image.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got the 61" and view it from about your distance. Love it! My wife agrees--it's not too big. If we stuck a 50" in now we would not be satisfied!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalydimide
I'm at 8" and I have a 50".
You trying to show off your manliness there or something? ;) (Joke on 8 " vs. 8')

I think I am leaning towards the 61". I guess it depends on price difference/availability. The 61" would probably be comparable to my current 50" watching 4:3 uncontent unstretched. The 61" will give me an awesome screen size for home theater and HD stuff. I guess I just don't want to regret not getting something bigger, especially if I move it to a bigger room eventually.

One thing that makes the DLP's seem so small is that they ARE smaller compared to a full RPTV. The cabinet is so much smaller, I can probably get another 6" viewing distance by pushing it closer to teh wall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up the 507 (50") and I loved it. I had 12-15' range and was quite happy with the set. BUT I did return it and am picking up the 61" tomorrow. Bottom line was that I had the room and felt that the extra size would fit the space better. Since I have not got the set I can't comment on the PQ difference if any.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm sitting about 10 to 11 feet away from a 60" GWII, and I certainly wouldn't want smaller. In fact, I honestly could have "lived" with something even bigger. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.