AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past month I've been scratching my head on what to do. I'm a once in a decade kind of upgrader. I was eyeing the 65" A90J, but after seeing the price of the 77" A80J I'm now in serious doubt. I'm just wondering if a 65" is immersive enough? The thought of playing the new God of War Ragnarok, Mass Effect, Resident Evil Village, The Witcher 3 hd on a 77" seems very compelling. Still I'm quite sure I will enjoy documentaries and series more on a 65"

My plan first was to buy the 65" and then experiment with viewing distances. My maximum viewing distance is 19 feet.

I couldn't really find alot of information about this subject. What do owners of a 65" think of their set? And the people who upgraded to a 77" do you like it? Or is it too big?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention. All the stores in my country are closed, so I sadly can't visit a store to see them.

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
19 feet is really far. Most here would argue that’s 120”+ projector screen distance. 77” is definitely not too large.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have a 65 but at 9'. At 19' even a 77 wont be immersive imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably sit a little bit closer. I sit around 13 feet right now with a 46". 19 feet is the farthest I can sit from it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My plan first was to buy the 65" and then experiment with viewing distances. My maximum viewing distance is 19 feet.
Yikes! I prefer a 40-degree viewing angle, which would be about 6.5' for a 65", 7.7' for a 77", and 19' for a 190" screen.
Even at "only" 13', your viewing angle with a 77" would be ~24 degrees. You probably aren't going to get many votes here for "too big."
If you are choosing between the 65" A90J and 77" A80J for that distance, I would absolutely choose the 77".

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
I will probably sit a little bit closer. I sit around 13 feet right now with a 46". 19 feet is the farthest I can sit from it.
I sit 12 feet from a 106” projector screen and could go bigger. :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just upgraded from a 55" 1080p to a 65" OLED (LG). I sit about 12 feet in my MLP and even the 65" just doesn't feel like I'm maximizing the potential of the TV. I already have buyer's remorse not getting the 75". HOWEVER, the step up from the 55" to the 65" and 1080p to 4K OLED WAS SO WORTH IT. I do notice a massive improvement, and I love my TV.

So long story short: even at 12 feet, I wish I went bigger. However, just the upgrade in size and quality was one of the best decisions and you should definitely upgrade (especially for gaming - games look COMPLETELY different on the upgrade.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes! I prefer a 40-degree viewing angle, which would be about 6.5' for a 65", 7.7' for a 77", and 19' for a 190" screen.
Even at "only" 13', your viewing angle with a 77" would be ~24 degrees. You probably aren't going to get many votes here for "too big."
If you are choosing between the 65" A90J and 77" A80J for that distance, I would absolutely choose the 77".
I think so too! It's comforting that I'm well within the margins.

Hahaha :cool: that does sound amazing! I'm leaning towards the 77" A80J more. Still do you guys have these 70"+ sets in your living room? Or in a dedicated home theater room? I'm just a bit worried that it is going to completely dominate my living room.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just upgraded from a 55" 1080p to a 65" OLED (LG). I sit about 12 feet in my MLP and even the 65" just doesn't feel like I'm maximizing the potential of the TV. I already have buyer's remorse not getting the 75". HOWEVER, the step up from the 55" to the 65" and 1080p to 4K OLED WAS SO WORTH IT. I do notice a massive improvement, and I love my TV.

So long story short: even at 12 feet, I wish I went bigger. However, just the upgrade in size and quality was one of the best decisions and you should definitely upgrade (especially for gaming - games look COMPLETELY different on the upgrade.)
Congratulations on your purchase! And your feedback! Very helpful since we have the same viewing distances. I will probally experience those same thoughts if I go for the 65" A90J.. so 77" seems to be the way to go.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I will say that in my theater I sit about 11' from a 120" PJ screen. I really enjoy the size for movies, but I get motion sickness when trying to play games at that size. As such, I much prefer playing games on the 65" TV in the livingroom. That said, I probably sit 8 to 9 feet from that, and it is a great size for me for both games and regular TV shows.

I would hazard to guess that 10+ feet from a 65" TV isn't going to feel "immersive" but keep in mind that 65" was really big just a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We're about 10 feet from our 110 inch screen, and could definitely go bigger (but that's the largest the area will allow).

We also have a 70 inch tv (that the screen comes down in front of), that I am looking to upgrade to (much) larger OLED.

·
Registered
117 Posts
At 19 feet 77 inches is not too big. It depends on what you're used to as well. I had a 46" as my main tv for the last 12 years. I sit 9 feet from the screen. I upgraded to a 65" and that seemed huge. I had to return the 65 and while waiting for an exchange I put my old one back up. It looked laughably small and I couldn't believe it's what I was accustomed to.

77" would dominate my current living room space. I sort of regret not going that big because I do plan on moving to a house within the next year or two and I know the tv room will be bigger than my current apartment. Oh well, it's an excuse to buy another tv down the line.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 19 feet 77 inches is not too big. It depends on what you're used to as well. I had a 46" as my main tv for the last 12 years. I sit 9 feet from the screen. I upgraded to a 65" and that seemed huge. I had to return the 65 and while waiting for an exchange I put my old one back up. It looked laughably small and I couldn't believe it's what I was accustomed to.

77" would dominate my current living room space. I sort of regret not going that big because I do plan on moving to a house within the next year or two and I know the tv room will be bigger than my current apartment. Oh well, it's an excuse to buy another tv down the line.
How long did you have the 65?

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the past month I've been scratching my head on what to do. I'm a once in a decade kind of upgrader. I was eyeing the 65" A90J, but after seeing the price of the 77" A80J I'm now in serious doubt. I'm just wondering if a 65" is immersive enough? The thought of playing the new God of War Ragnarok, Mass Effect, Resident Evil Village, The Witcher 3 hd on a 77" seems very compeling. Still I'm quite sure I will enjoy documentaries and series more on a 65"

I couldn't really find alot of information about this subject. What do owners of a 65" think of their set? And the people who upgraded to a 77" do you like it? Or is it too big?
65” is WAY too small for 19 feet. It recently purchased a 65” TV that I watch from around 8 feet. I actually moved the Couch closer from the 9.5-10ft before. I regret not going 75”. For your distance I’d go 85”.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In have a 168" diagonal 2.40 CIH screen and view from 16 feet. That is immersive, when looking straight ahead the image occupies over 90% of the field of view. To catch certain details, viewers have to look away from the midpoint just like we do in real life. I just installed a 65" LG OLED and watch from 10ish feet in the family room -- the image is fine but I could have made the 77" work, but it would have overwhelmed the fireplace and surround. So I compromised with the 65 and do immersive viewing in the theater room.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts