AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think so.

My old house had 7.1, other than just being louder I didn't see the need for it at all.

New house has 5.1 and it seems plenty sufficient to me.

What say you? Is 7.1 just marketing hype?

Heck, look at the latest Blu-Rays, most are just coming out w/ 5.1 tracks.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/19582154

I think so.

My old house had 7.1, other than just being louder I didn't see the need for it at all.

New house has 5.1 and it seems plenty sufficient to me.

What say you? Is 7.1 just marketing hype?

7.1 is only applicable to large dedicated HT rooms. I suspect they are a slim minority of all surround audio setups.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It's more the layout of the room, not the size. I had 7.1 in a long but somewhat narrow room and it was by no means a dedicated HT room. My new room didn't allow for a 7.1 rear surround setup, but does have a 7.1 front height setup (and yes, it's 7.1 channels.)

7.1 is nice to have, and has advantages, but is not critical. But then, 5.1 isn't "critical", either.

They're just further steps to a more enveloping sound field. If you want them and can make them work, good. If you don't want them, don't worry about them and set up the layout to your preferences.

Quote:

5.1 tracks have always been the majority ever since the format came out, although most report there are more 7.1 tracks than there were in the beginning. It's only recently that 7.1 was even available in the cinema (starting with Toy Story 3), as most 7.1 discrete tracks were derived from 5.1 theatrical tracks. But that will probably change.

Regardless, processing can expand any 5.1 to 7.1. If you're a purist and must have discrete or nothing, well, that's your prerogative.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Hollywood has had little incentive to increase the number of audio channels in movie mixes above 5.1 so long as competing original material broadcast on TV is also limited to 5.1.

Standards for the broadcast TV replacement of HDTV will likely be finalized within the next 2 to 5 years (probably supporting 'up to' 22.2 channel audio) but with negligible(?) chance of its deployment in the US+Canada market until after 2025. However it takes less time for streaming content over internet protocols to be revised, so it's possible the next 'original content competitor' for the movie theaters might not be the broadcast TV industry . . . and that we might not need to wait 15 years to get 7.1 (or more) audio channel original material.

[And where their competitors go, so will go the movie theaters . . . maybe just in time to use 4th generation optical storage for in-home viewing? Perhaps some evolution of this technology .]

·
Registered
30,695 Posts

Quote:

Is 7.1 / 7.2 dead?

I think so.

If by "dead" you mean that receivers and pre-pros are now moving on to 9.2.
Quote:

You really weren't able to hear the difference between sound coming from behind you versus sound coming from your left or right side? Besides, 7.1 isn't louder than 5.1, which isn't louder than 2.0 (set the volume knob to the same/comfortable level irrespective of how many speakers are playing).
Quote:

Consumer 7.1 pre-pros were being sold almost a quarter-centrury ago: Fosgate in 1986, Lexicon in 1988. Discrete 5.1 soundtracks wouldn't show up for us consumers until a full 8 years later (on laserdisc in 1994). Obviously, the number of source channels has never had anything to do with the number of speakers used for playback. Pleople routinely play back 5.1 TV shows on their 2 TV speakers; people were listening with 7.1-speaker set-ups for 20 years before any 7.1-channel material showed up on Blu-ray. One has nothing to do with the other.
Quote:
Is 7.1 just marketing hype?

If it is, then it's quite effective: been increasing in popularity for the last 24 years (harder and harder to find 5.1 receivers, almost impossible to find 5.1 pre-pros), discrete 7.1 content been steadily releasing on BD (almost 300 titles so far), and now it's infulencing theatrical releases to go with discrete 7.1 mixes (Toy Story 3, Step Up 3D, Megamind, Tangled, TRON Legacy, Chronicles of Narnia, Gulliver's Travels, etc). Is that your idea of "dead"?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
^ Yeah, what Sanjay said.

I used to be a doubter before I tried it. Only a temporary setup, but it was enough to make me notice the difference.

As far as it dying, though...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
When I first set up our new media room a couple of years ago I went to 7.1. I was very dissappointed to find almost no source material in 7.1, and what little I found made very poor use of the rear channels. Of course, I have mostly DVDs so going to BD cost more, providing even less incentive to try.

At one point I dropped back to 5.1 and did not miss the extra rears.

In the past year or so, however, a number of new titles have been released that (to me) make effective use of all seven channels, and True-HD etc. has improved the overall sound quality. Seems like the mastering engineers are working it out and studios are releasing more decent 7.1 disks. So, I would say it is not dead, but in fact is growing, and like many standards it takes a few years to work out the mixes. I am now happy I went back to 7.1 and have been paying for BD's both for picture and 7.1 sound.

IMO, YMMV, etc. - Don

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I had 7.1 rear surrounds going for about three years. I always thought they sounded great with ProLogicIIx, and I never had Blu-ray.

Now I have 7.1 with front heigts. I think it sounds great with ProLogicIIz, and there are NO commercial discs of any type with front height tracks.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Yup, it's all about the room setup not the size. I really enjoy 7.1. I feel it wraps around you a little more. Like everything though you have to have the room for those back surrounds.

The short of this is, it is not necessary, just makes it more fun.....we are still having fun aren't we ? Is this still a fun hobby ? Keep it fun !!!

·
Registered
30,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck /forum/post/19586528

Yes 7.1 is overkill to the average consumer and as said just isnt a lot of 7.1 material out there

Again with the material? It has nothing to do why the 7.1-speaker configuration was developed.

1986 - 7.1 pre-pros available

2006 - 7.1 material available

What do you think people were listening to during that 20-year gap?

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/19588133

Again with the material? It has nothing to do why the 7.1-speaker configuration was developed.

1986 - 7.1 pre-pros available

2006 - 7.1 material available

What do you think people were listening to during that 20-year gap?

Dont rent many movies do ya ? Hell ya releases like avatar WILL HAVE 7.1, still doesnt change the fact most releases are 5.1. Stick your attitude elsewhere.............

7.1 will only be useful in a very large room otherwise you will not

have the room you will need for separation. In this case 5.1 is more than adequate and 7.1 is overkill.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck /forum/post/19590826

Dont rent many movies do ya ? Hell ya releases like avatar WILL HAVE 7.1, still doesnt change the fact most releases are 5.1. Stick your attitude elsewhere.............

have the room you will need for separation. In this case 5.1 is more than adequate and 7.1 is overkill.

A couple of metres behind the listening position is more than adequate for the L&R rears, so it doesn't take all that big a room. And I find PLIIx makes a useful difference on a lot of material that makes the rears worthwhile. I rent a lot of movies, so I know that there's not a lot of discrete 7ch.

As for attitude, feel fee to follow your own advice.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/0

Yup, it's all about the room setup not the size. I really enjoy 7.1. I feel it wraps around you a little more. Like everything though you have to have the room for those back surrounds.

The short of this is, it is not necessary, just makes it more fun.....we are still having fun aren't we ? Is this still a fun hobby ? Keep it fun !!!

Word!!!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

Quote:

Dont rent many movies do ya ? Hell ya releases like avatar WILL HAVE 7.1, still doesnt change the fact most releases are 5.1.

You missed his point, it would appear. 7.1 processors were around for 20 years before 7.1 content began to appear. In other words, you don't need to have 7.1 sources to get the benefit of 7.1 playback.

Quote:
7.1 will only be useful in a very large room otherwise you will not have the room you will need for separation. In this case 5.1 is more than adequate and 7.1 is overkill.

Your personal opinion is noted, but not necessarily shared. A few feet behind the listening positions is all that is needed for effective 7.1. As for the overkill comment, why?

·
Registered
30,695 Posts

Quote:

Hell ya releases like avatar WILL HAVE 7.1, still doesnt change the fact most releases are 5.1. Stick your attitude elsewhere.............

The 3 versions of Avatar on Blu-ray (theatrical, extended, 3D) all have 5.1 soundtracks. Still has no bearing on 7.1 speaker set-ups. That's not attitude; simply correcting your misinformation.
Quote:
7.1 will only be useful in a very large room otherwise you will not have the room you will need for separation. In this case 5.1 is more than adequate and 7.1 is overkill.

As other posters have pointed out, seating location is the more important determinant for going 7.1 than room size. Even in a large room, if your seating is at or near the back wall, then you're a poor candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout.

By comparison, my first 7.1 set-up (back in the early 1990s) was in a small 11x13.5 spare bedroom. My futon was 8 feet back from the front wall, giving me at least 5 feet between my side and rear speakers, resulting in clear left vs right vs back separation in the surround field. So much for needing a "very large room".

So while 5.1 is more than adequate for you, others prefer the advantages of 7.1 (directionality, imaging stability, envelopment).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

Nonsense. Sanjay is absolutely correct. 7.1 arrays have distinct advantages over 5.1 in envelopment and rearward imaging, and yielded those benefits for many years with 5.1 soundtracks on DVD long before any 6.1 or 7.1 material was available. And those advantages are still beneficial.

They aren't huge, but it's a nice and subtle improvement that can be appreciated in any good-quality HT implementation.

Quote:

That's not true at all. I listen in a small theater room in my home system, and there's no question at all the improvement that 7.1 provides in imaging and envelopment to the rear. The size of the space has really nothing to do with it.

And to the degree that the room size has an impact, it is easier to achieve good envelopment with larger spaces, a longer RT60 time, and the speakers farther from the listening position, which decreases the need to have more speakers at least for the primary listening position (more speakers do become more important for non-primary listening locations though in larger spaces.)

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam for many years.

7.1 provides distinct but not huge improvements over 5.1. In limited cases where the listening position is right up against a back wall, you should stick to 5.1. In other cases, value to budget can make the decision difficult. But dollars aside, there are clear and meaningful advantages to a 7.1 array, even if you NEVER encounter anything beyond a 5.1 soundtrack.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

have the room you will need for separation.

I had 7.1 in my old room (estimate 10x15 feet, by no means very large) and separation worked just fine. As has been stated, it's the layout. Once you're beyond the threshold of having enough room behind you, all of 5-6 feet or so, you can have 7.1.

There's nothing magical about 5.1 or 7.1 that you can cram 5.1 in a closet, but have to have a gymnasium for 7.1.

I never see the big need to have 7.1 discrete material for 7.1 playback. ProLogicIIx works very well, and it's just surround info. I've never watched a movie on my old system and thought, "You know, an audio engineer could have probably made the sound of rain have more emphasis in the left rear surround right there."

I mean, if you're a purist and must only have discrete 7.1 on a 7.1 system solely as a matter of principle, I can understand that point. I think you're absolutely loony, but I understand.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I second Sanjay and Chris Wiggles opinions. 7.1 is a better experience regardless of room's size.

Nevertheless, I know few people that still has HTs with a 7.1 or 7.2 array. All my friends finally decided to sell their surround back speakers and put the money on a better front end

Too much expense on cables and speakers for 7.1, let alone 7.2.

So 7.1 and 7.2 are certainly dead... ate leats here in Mexico. National economy is not working properly

1 - 20 of 97 Posts