AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what audio components I want to buy for HTPC. I currently use my HTPC to play DVDs and MP3s. I am looking at buying the following;

M-Audio 7.1 revolution

Outlaw 755 (200 x 5)

Home Theater Direct - Level three combo Z (2 pairs of towers, 1 center, and 1 powered sub)

or

M-Audio 7.1 revolution

Outlaw 770 (200 x 7)

Home Theater Direct - Level three combo Z (2 pairs of towers, 1 center, and 1 powered sub) + an extra pair of towers

I will be using my HTPC as the preamp. Would I gain anything by going with a 7.1 system over the 5.1?

Are their DVDs that at recorded at 7.1?

How well does the 7.1 revolution synthesize 7.1 from 5.1 and 2.0?

Would you change any of the components that I mentioned above? or have recommendations on alternate products?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never seen any movies with 7.1. I have the Revolution 7.1 and it seems to be a great card so far. Is 7.1 needed? I guess that depends on what receiver you have. If your receiver does 7.1 then great, get the 7.1 card and you'll be set for future 7.1 movies or current 5.1->7.1 conversion(sorry don't know what the technical term for this process is). If not, then you need it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What are the channels for 7.1?

front left, center, front right

Rear left, rear center, rear right

.1 is the sub

What is the 7th channel?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stgdz
What are the channels for 7.1?

front left, center, front right

Rear left, rear center, rear right

.1 is the sub

What is the 7th channel?
There are two channels used for separate rear center speakers.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ajira99
There are two channels used for separate rear center speakers.
are they mounted usually horizontally or vertically?

·
Registered
132 Posts
front left, front center, front right

surround left, surround right

rear left, rear right

sub

there is no 7.1 channel audio. 7.1 is just 6.1 with the rear center split into 2 (rear right and rear left).

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Souldn't is be like this

|-----------------------|

|LFC-------CC-------RFC|

|LSC----------------RSC|

|--------LSC-RSC-------|

SUB any where you want it

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
so with 7.1 you actually move the surround sound speakers that were intended to be behind you in 5.1 sound to your direct left and right.

correct or no, I am going off of SHS's diagram and other things I have read around the web.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stgdz
so with 7.1 you actually move the surround sound speakers that were intended to be behind you in 5.1 sound to your direct left and right.

correct or no, I am going off of SHS's diagram and other things I have read around the web.
They're actually supposed to be to your direct left and right with 5.1. In 6.1 you have one speaker directly behind you, with 7.1 two behind you.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Surround speakers are usually meant to go beside you, not behind. Most surround info in 5.1 recordings are to provide ambiance and spaciousness, not to place sounds directly behind you. That is what has been accomplished with 6.1 formats like EX or ES, the 7.1 is a THX processed version of the 6.1 recording that adds some decorrelation to the rear channel info and can do some steering to a left or right rear speaker. Once you have heard a THX Ultra 2 setup that is properly calibrated and speakers properly placed, you would probably decide that "Yes, you do need 7.1" There really is nothing like it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gruson
7.1 is the way to go.
I agree. If you haven't already purchased a recevier and can afford the 7.1, get it. I plan to sell my 6.1 this summer to buy a 7.1. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren_G
That is what has been accomplished with 6.1 formats like EX or ES, the 7.1 is a THX processed version of the 6.1 recording that adds some decorrelation to the rear channel info and can do some steering to a left or right rear speaker. Once you have heard a THX Ultra 2 setup that is properly calibrated and speakers properly placed, you would probably decide that "Yes, you do need 7.1" There really is nothing like it!
i don't think the sound cards that are advertised as 7.1 do that though. correct me if i'm wrong but i think they just output 2 identical rear channels. i don't think there is a true 7.1 sound card.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are there any TRUE 7.1 Sound cards out there? If so what are some good ones?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are several "true" 7.1 cards. Revo being one of them. The decoding is done in software. Altough I'm not aware of any software dvd player capable of DTS ES yet, wich is the only discrete 6.1 format. DD EX is available in Windvd Platinum and works with the revo. With the revo you can do virtual 7.1, wich I assume is using the rear channels of a 5.1 source and spreads them in to the last to channels. This is not mono in the rear channels, but rather mono in the SL/RL and SR/RL. I'm dont thin any processing is done in this mode by the driver?

This is only true of course if you use the analog outs of the card. If using spdif, all this is done by the reciever.

·
Registered
132 Posts
by "true" 7.1 i meant 7 distinct channels. there is nothing encoded in 7.1. i think cards like the revo take the rear center from 6.1 and duplicate it to create 2 rears. for 5.1 i think it just duplicates the surround channels for the rears.

i dunno if future 7.1 decoding software (if it ever makes it to the pc) will be able to take advantage of the revo or other 7.1 card.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you use Circle Surround II the two back channels are actually distinct left and right back. In addition if you use the Smart Devices decoders they will also decode an overhead channel for 8.1 which greatly adds to realism with fly-overs of planes, shells, etc. Also will allow better hall sound with SACD and DVD-A.

Tomlinson Holman, of THX shows a 10.1 system that is phenomenal. Each additionalchannel does improve the sound space if done properly, even if they are synthesized.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i see.

i found it interesting that even holman's 10.2 doesn't have 2 rears like 7.1. it has 5 fronts, 2 surrounds, 1 rear, 2 overheads, and 2 subs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.