AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Should be fine. I game on my LCD from time to time (it's usually hooked up to a PJ, but I move it upstairs every now and then). I may not be that sensitive to it, but the tiny bit of blur that I notice doesn't detract from the experience at all.

If your retail source has a good return policy, just buy it and try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I have a Toshiba 32HL95 LCD TV. I run it in 1080i and the 8ms was only slightly noticeable to me in guitar hero 2. and even with the lag calibrator in the game it only required a change of 2 ms to get complete sync to me. In the end it only slightly improved my note accuracy anyways. 8ms is fine by me.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
input delay means you're seeing items on screen a few ms after you're supposed to, like you said with GH2, it's basically display lag.

8ms response time is different, response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back to active (black) again. It is measured in milliseconds (ms). Lower numbers mean faster transitions and therefore fewer visible image artifacts.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
and for thrillhouse, 6ms (even 8ms) is fine. do you have any processing modes on your set that are enabled?

·
Registered
132 Posts
from my research sharp isn't truthful about its response time. my friend has a 6 ms sharp that blurs when we play gears i have an 8ms and have looked hard for it and can't see it.

i heard that sharp measures grey to grey while others measure black to white and back? i think, or its just black to white. neways grey to grey will always measure faster.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant /forum/post/0

I would avoid the lag risk altogether by getting a plasma. Superior picture and no ghosting or lag. Burn in risk is very very small.

You need to qualify that by Brand and Model.

I have a Viera 8gen Hi Def PDP that has been 100% immune to any form of image retention/burn-in since day 1. I also have a Samsung PDP and I noticed it suffered image retention almost the first time I used it.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i also agree with the response time measurement deal.

my westy has an 8ms B/W/B, if the grey to grey was measured, it'd probably be marketed as a 2-4ms panel.

it's all about marketing, before you couldnt trust contrast ratios, now you cant trust response time measurements either, everyone wants to do their own thing, you'd think there would be some sort of commitee that oversaw the marketing of ALL high def sets, and made sure everything was measured and tested using the same method, so that all the figures could be compared before shopping.

but as it stands now, you pretty much have to go to the store and see it for yourself, or trust 2000 comments in the display forum for whichever set you want (which i did, and dont regret anything)

------------------------------------

keeping on topic. 8ms B/W/B is fine, 8ms G2G however, i wouldnt want to game on that panel. though i wouldnt say it would be horrible, especially if you dont nitpick stuff like that like some of us do.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you are worried about any display you are buying, take your console with you when you shop. I've bought several different displays for my LAN setup and have never had anyone at BB, CC and Tweeter turn me down when I ask them to hook up my XBox, so I can check out a display before purchasing. I know it may seem like work but it's really the only way I know of making sure the TV will fit with your expectations.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howlett /forum/post/0

from my research sharp isn't truthful about its response time. my friend has a 6 ms sharp that blurs when we play gears i have an 8ms and have looked hard for it and can't see it.

i heard that sharp measures grey to grey while others measure black to white and back? i think, or its just black to white. neways grey to grey will always measure faster.

Where would you be looking for this blur???

When i move around real fast or circle around in gears, if i look at my character no blur there, but I mean im spinning so fast I cant even see the background its just a swirl, and if it blurs I'd thnik thats normal in the background.

But where exactly is the blur you are talking about and where it's not good?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.