AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a projector setup? I am moving into an apartment with a living room this size. I can get a smoking deal on an X1 because I work for an Infocus reseller. Would this setup be better or worse than like a 1600 panny rear projection TV?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think the projector would be great specifically because the room is small. A RPTV will take up half of the room. I would pick one of the walls and put about a 70 to 80" wide 16:9 screen on it and sit as far back as you can. If you can sit the whole 12-13 feet away, 80" should be fine.

I don't know the throw on the X1 (I have a Panasonic LC76 myself) but you may have to mount/place in front of you to get the room to work out. Might be a good coffee table setup for your room.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My apartment living room is smaller than that, and the projector setup doesn't clutter it at all. I built a shelf unit above the back of my couch to house the projector and all my AV equipment, and put that and the couch against one wall, and put the screen and front speakers against the opposite wall.

You would have to and reorganize a little but with a little imagination you should have no trouble fitting a projection setup into your living room.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a 13x15 room & X1. Sitting 2 feet closer would work fine. I currently run 80" wide at max size zoom setting. The projector is not quite 2 feet from the rear wall, so I don't think I could run the full 80" in a 13x13 room. But it would be close. A smaller image would be better anyway if I was sitting closer. I'm at the edge of seeing pixelation the way it is now.

Definately, don't let your room size stop you. If you go for it, get the projector first, project it onto the wall or a cheap (parkland plastics etc) temporary screen. Once you get it mounted and all, you will know excatly what size screen to buy.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Look for a machine with a short throw. The NEC LT240K and the Sanyo Z1 have short throws for example.

The database on projectorcentral.com can help with such a search.

I have an X1 and am very happy with it but it is a longer throw than you may want. I have a 96inch wide screen and the X1 is about 16 feet back from the screen.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you work for an Infocus reseller, just "borrow" an X1 for a night and see what works for you. You are in a lot better position than most of us at trying projectors out.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
mtbell said:

Quote:
That's the size of my room. I have a Z1 with a 96" dia screen. I sit 11' to 12' away from the screen.
How is the pixelation with that size screen at 11'?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Z1 in a room about that size. I'm projecting an 80" diagonal (70" wide) image and viewing distance is about 12'. I couldn't be happier, it doesn't take up any room (it's ceiling mounted) and I get a much more theater-like experience than any TV could provide. For me at this distance and screen size screen door is just barely visible, but doesn't bother me at all. If I had more room on the wall I'd be projecting bigger than this, but the wife isn't too keen on sheetrocking over the door and walking around to the back of the house outside. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.