AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 3 DMD DLP RP TV Possible at this time, not if it economical, but is it possible. I read that 3 DMDs greatly improve the image quality in a front projection DLP. If it is possible any plans from any one to produce such a TV. A 3 DMDs would have the bonus of not have rainbows do to the removal of the color wheel. This is a major plus. A 3 DMD design would also greatly improve the number of colors projected from the TV.

I would add that a 1 chip only has 16 million colors while a 3 Chip has over 35 trillion colors. That is a big improvement I think.

Oh and a 3 Chip DLP works by having a prisim seperate the white light into green, blue, and red. Each one of these then gets its own DMD.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If LCoS RPTVs can have 3 chips, I don’t see any reason why DLP RPTVs can’t.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also what would be better. 1080p with 16 million colors, or 720p with 35 trillion colors. Does more colors make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Personally, I feel that increasing the color depth would indeed make a big difference. On current DLP TVs, I can easily notice a color banding effect. Of course, a 1920*1080 resolution is good too. I WANT BOTH!!!:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
One of the problems with a three chip DLP projector is the light dump. With LCoS the unused light is being absorbed by the LCoS chip (which is a problem in itself) with the DLPs it is just sent in another direction. It is hard enough to deal with one incoming beam and one outgoing beam. Adding another outbound beam at a 12 degree angle might make the optics more complicated. It might also be harder to make such a projector as compact as LCoS or LCD three panel projectors.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe thats why the 3-Chip systems used in Cinamas are so BIG. But it would still be nice have a 3-Chips. Ti said they might have a user end Front Project DLP for $20,000 soon though I don't see how $20,000 is user end, but I hope it gets cheaper soon and even sub $10,000. I want my 35 Trillion Color TV.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The color banding is not at all because 16 million colors is not enough. Most systems use 16 million colors and can display any color ramp smoothly. It's in the processing -- and possibly in the fact that there is only 1 DMD -- that you see a problem, not the number of colors.

I don't think TI has much intent to bring 3 DMDs to the RPTV market anytime soon, but it surely is possible.

Mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is there any chance that they could build a 1920x1080 DMD? Anybody here of them even thinking about it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they are making a 1080 DMD. I think the HD3 will be 1080. Though I hope they can make it 3-chip for home users, but I doubt it. Right now a 3-Chip system cost over $100,000 I think, and a price drop to $20,000-$30,000 still isn't enough.

Rogo wouldn't 35 Trillion colors look much better than 16 million colors. I think thats one of the main advanteges of a 3-chip system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any news on a release date for the HD3?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I guess it was just a rumor or bad info, but there was a post somewhere on this fourm a couple months back where someone claimed that the first Panny DLP was a three chip design..which is why it retailed for $12,999.

I assume this was just misinformation?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes, the 52DL10 is/was a one chip design.

As for the color depth, it may be that they can get 16M colors, but the effective color depth for real-time video display is much less than that. Otherwise, we would not see the color banding or dithering that is apparent in the DLP sets. My guess is that it is a timing issue, i.e., that the color production is limited by the color wheel speed. So while a DMD chip and color wheel can probably produce 16M colors, it can't necessarily produce them all in the time it takes to display a video frame or series of video frames.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VTBoy
Rogo wouldn't 35 Trillion colors look much better than 16 million colors. I think thats one of the main advanteges of a 3-chip system.
But you would loose the perfect convergence. I'm not sure the extra 34 trillion, 999 billion, 984 million colors would be worth that price.

-phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a reason why cinamas use a 3-Chip System. I for one do think if you can get near perfect convergence the extra 34 Trillion colors are worth the price. Look at LCOS it seems to have near perfect convergence.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
16 million color is enough -- if youy can get 16 million colors.

You don't need 3 chips to get 35 trillion colors, but with current signal processing and color wheels, you might need 3 chips to get the 16 million colors you need.

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
3 DMD's is certainly feasible. Go to www.dlp.com and look up home theater systems. There are several manufacturers of front projector systems using 3 DMD's, and these are not the large movier theater projectors either.

I think the main reason TI pushes the one chip solution is that it keeps the cost down and is certainly simpler, and the majority of the people can not resolve any discernible artifacts due to the human nervous system's limitations. There are some people out there that claim to have the golden eyes (analagous to the golden ears of the audiphile), but I am not one of them. I have a 1st generation Panny PT52DL10, and have never seen a "rainbow", nor has it triggered any seizures, nor have I gotten motion sick. Likewise, I can't tell the difference between a 2X oversampled CD and a 1,000,000X oversampled CD with glowing tube amplifiers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.