AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a 32" lcd tv for my bedroom. Im going to be about 6 feet away. Should I get a 720p or spend more on a 1080p. Those it make a big difference?

Thanks,

Marvin

·
Registered
959 Posts
Best thing to do is view HD material on both and make your own decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
with prices dropping on the 1080P sets I would def. go with one of those...who knows when blu-ray players drop in price you might want to add one of those to the bedroom and with 1080P you can enjoy the full benefits of it...just my .02

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, 32 is way too small, I went with a 42 on mine lol. I thought it would be overkill too but with a 5.5- 6 feet viewing distance it's perfect, in fact I kinda wish that I went with a 46. 1080p would be good for that too you have enough of a viewing distance to resolve the details so go for it.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
IMO, I would go with 40" minimum, and most likely 46".

Edit: If you are going to get a 32" regardless, then go ahead and get 720p. You wont see much of a difference at your viewing distance.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo1213 /forum/post/14306503

Im looking for a 32" lcd tv for my bedroom. Im going to be about 6 feet away. Should I get a 720p or spend more on a 1080p.

At 6 feet you won't be able to resolve any better than 720p on a 32" screen, so there's no point in spending extra money on 1080p unless you plan on moving closer to the screen in the future.

For more information, consult the resolution chart .

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Depending on the size of your room, a 42" display is just about perfect for most rooms that are 13'x13'. I think you should go up a size over 32".

Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad /forum/post/14306922

IMO, I would go with 40" minimum, and most likely 46".

Edit: If you are going to get a 32" regardless, then go ahead and get 720p. You wont see much of a difference at your viewing distance.

Do you guys even read? He said he would be sitting "about 6 feet away."

40" minimum? What the hell...

And resolution has little to do with it unless he is going to sit 3 inches away from it. A 32" is actually above average for a "bedroom tv" at "about 6 feet." Sure, if you have the dough and want to go bigger, you can, but there is no PERFECT answer to your question.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14307316

At 6 feet you won't be able to resolve any better than 720p on a 32" screen, so there's no point in spending extra money on 1080p unless you plan on moving closer to the screen in the future.

For more information, consult the resolution chart .

I wonder what movie he was watching in 1440p?

I still don't believe that chart for a minute.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 /forum/post/14307531

Do you guys even read? He said he would be sitting "about 6 feet away."

40" minimum? What the hell...

And resolution has little to do with it unless he is going to sit 3 inches away from it. A 32" is actually above average for a "bedroom tv" at "about 6 feet." Sure, if you have the dough and want to go bigger, you can, but there is no PERFECT answer to your question.

Yup, 6' would be 40" minimum, unless you want no immersion. Look, you could have a 32" set and sit 50' away if you like it that way, you are correct, there is no perfect answer. But since he is asking opinions, MY OPINION is that 40" would be minimum. I have a 52" and sit 9-11" away depending on where I sit, and wish I could go bigger, i.e. that Samsung made a bigger set.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
1080p at 32" is a waste, unless your going to use the display solely as a pc monitor then by all means get a 1080p 32" display.Otherwise for the price it cost you for a 32" 1080p tv, you could get a much bigger tv for about the same amount, and if you look around, also at 1080p.

i usually only recommend 1080p if your going 37"-42"^. if your dead set on a bedroom tv try looking into a 37" display. 32" IMO is too small even at 6' viewing distance.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad /forum/post/14307620

Yup, 6' would be 40" minimum, unless you want no immersion. Look, you could have a 32" set and sit 50' away if you like it that way, you are correct, there is no perfect answer. But since he is asking opinions, MY OPINION is that 40" would be minimum. I have a 52" and sit 9-11" away depending on where I sit, and wish I could go bigger, i.e. that Samsung made a bigger set.

Immersion in a bedroom tv? Unless that is where you are going to be spending the majority of your time, my question would be, why? He is obviously not worried about immersion if he is shopping for 32" TV's.

But to be totally honest with you, and you pretty much summed it up yourself. You wish you had a bigger tv and I have never subscribed to the idea that you can sit closer to a tv and get a more theater like experience. It's just never going to be the same as going to the theater and sitting in the balcony. If you want that kind of experience, build a dedicated theater room.

The bottom line is, deciding which size to buy should be based on viewing distance and how comfortable your eyes are viewing at that distance. I don't care what these ridiculous charts say, you can't sit 6 feet away from a big 1080p tv and still get the same effect as sitting 30 feet away from a movie theater screen.

A big tv is a BIG tv and a movie theater is a movie theater, period.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 /forum/post/14307922

1080p at 32" is a waste, unless your going to use the display solely as a pc monitor

And even then, you want to have a video card that can output that resolution. And if you aren't even playing high end games, there is really no reason to get 1080p anyway.

And the guys at CNET if you believe in their reviews, still to this day claim that 1080p is still wasted even at 42". I think people confuse detail with resolution. If you view the same brand 720p Plasma next to it's 1080p brother, at the average viewing distance, it's very hard to see the difference in depth. And 3-4 years ago, nobody cared that the "benchmark" Pioneer Elite Plasma was 720p.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes a movie theater is a movie theater, and sadly blu-ray movies look and sound better at home than going out to the movie (even with only half way decent equiptment..... Its such a waste going out to the movies, I can buy the movie on blu-ray and order a big ass pizza and invite as many people over to watch as i like and it would still be cheaper than just me and my woman going to a movie.

It costs 20 bucks without getting drinks and snacks, add another 20 if you want those. I can buy most every movie on amazon for under $20 and be able to watch it as many times as I like, and much more comfortably. And order real food, not ****** snacks

And yes 1080p at 32in is a waste, hell 1080p at even 40in isnt really worth it. realistically you dont need it until you hit 46in or 50in

I have a 32in in m bedroom at 10 feet away and it is plenty good enough for the bedroom, I dont want to be blinded while half sleeping

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just got a 32in in my bedroom and I wouldn't go bigger but I don't have much room even though it is like 14'x15'. The motion blur would get real sickening at anything bigger unless you got something with 120hz.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 /forum/post/14308051

And the guys at CNET if you believe in their reviews,

Cnet reviewers are clueless. So is anyone who tells you 1080p is "wasted" unless you have XX size TV.

It all depends on viewing distance.

I have a 32" 1080p and the resolution is extremely noticeable because I sit 2.5 feet away. If I sat 6 feet away, however, the 1080p would be wasted. Just as a 65" 1080p would be wasted if I decided to sit 15 feet away, but would be great at 8 feet.

If you want to know what the optimal viewing distance is, consult the resolution chart . It's very accurate, assuming you have 20/20 vision.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14308265

Cnet reviewers are clueless. So is anyone who tells you 1080p is "wasted" unless you have XX size TV.

It all depends on viewing distance.

I have a 32" 1080p and the resolution is extremely noticeable because I sit 2.5 feet away. If I sat 6 feet away, however, the 1080p would be wasted. Just as a 65" 1080p would be wasted if I decided to sit 15 feet away, but would be great at 8 feet.

If you want to know what the optimal viewing distance is, consult the resolution chart . It's very accurate, assuming you have 20/20 vision.

I have weak eyes (myopia + cylindrical) and even then I can make out the diff between 1080p and otherwise from 6-7ft. For the bedroom, anything bigger than 32" would be so bright that I wouldnt be able to sleep. In fact I would buy at most 32" + anti glare screen for my bedroom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its too small,im telling ya its too small. I took my 32" back for that reason and selling my 37550 and going with a 40........dont make my mastake.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ill tell ya why its to small. On standard Def your picture size is about 24 inches with the black bars on the side.You wont be watching Hi def all the time so you wont be getting the full 32 inches and that kills the concept.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts