AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony 36XBR250. I love it, execpt it only does NTSC. It has a great picture for cable and satellite. I am looking to upgrade to a 42" 16*9 display. I want a 42" because it has about the same picture height as my 36" tube and I think that it is a good height for my room. I want to be able to watch both NTSC and HDTV. My question is, when I watch NTSC (with black bars on each side) will a 42" plasma look as good as my 36" tube does now?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Too many variables to answer easily. The general consensus is that ED units do a good job with SD material. However, if you're planning on watching 4:3 then most units would probably do about the same. Generally, alot of folks end up using one of the stretch modes to avoid the bars (thus helping to prevent burn). If this is the case, EDs definately tend to stand out. Again, it's all opinion though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I went from a 36XBR400 to an ED 42" panny...and I love it.

PQ is on par, and the size is much better for letterbox material. One thing to consider is vert height (as you mentioned) but with letterbox material, the XBR will sqeeze the image, reducing your vert height...the plasma has a much larger viewable image with widescreen.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich,

What you said makes me want to get one. What model of panny do you have? My only problem would be, what to do with my 36XBR250.

·
Registered
338 Posts
short answer "yes" and with your panny? in auto mode (screen size) you will virtually never look at any ugly black bars except when the commercials come on when watching HD

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another vote for yes. I also went to the ED panasonic from a Sony 36XBR and have been extremely happy. Given the flexibility of the panny, I rarely have to watch anything with black bars.

I did finally find someone who wanted the Sony and ended up selling it at a somewhat reduced price.

John

·
Registered
15,372 Posts
Another "YES." I've compared the ED Panny (which I own) to the Sony XBR tube line numerous times. I just did it again a couple of days ago, in fact, giving the Sony 510 (34"XBR) a run through with my reference DVDs. I find the Sony's don't hold a candle to the visual experience of the plasma.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bottom line on 4:3 content on your 16:9 monitor: There is some level of compromise, no matter what you do.

Either you get normal 4:3 aspect with bars on the side, or you get a stretch that maintains the proper aspect ratio but loses content top and bottom, or a stretch that squeezes the picture in a way that most folks will notice. While DVDs of most modern movies should avoid this problem, if the DVD content was originally a TV show you will probably still face the same issues. (DVDs of HDTV-originated content may not have this problem; I have not watched DVDs of HDTV content. Also, DVDs of older movies - pre 1960 or so - are often in 4:3 format.)

It is one of two reasons that my HD monitor is a DVD-only device; the other related and more important reason is the lack of HD-TiVo.:(

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Disto,

Sorry, missed this thread when you responded...

I have last years commercial ED panel (42")...5UY. For a much smaller (volume wise) footprint, you get a much more enveloping viewing experience. As others have said, there are some compromises...

-4:3 will either be stretched, skewed, or non-linearly adjusted for viewing (just)....

-black level..one place my XBR shines at is black level floor (ie, how black is black), the pannys blacks are not quite as dark. But the panny beats it in one aspect of this. The XBR's blacks are blacker, but the panny doesn't suffer from "ghosting" or "smearing" (black level retention). You can see this when a light (white) object pans across a dark background...there will be a "trail" following...the plasma doesnt do this.

Anyway, I'm pleased as punch with my plasma, and I still occasionally watch movies on my XBR (I moved it to the guest bedroom...quite a guest TV), and the experience is still good, but not nearly as good as on the plasma in the HT...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. My eye is on the 42PWD6UY. I do not mind the black bars on each side. In fact, I rather them, then any strecth mode. Besides, now there are more and more shows in 16:9. I have the room and some are telling me to get a rear projection TV instead and save money. Maybe my next thread will be, plasma or rear projection?

·
Registered
733 Posts
My Fujitsu 42" ED panel replaced my Sony 36" (which is now in the basement). I find the picture to be quite a bit better on the plasma on virtually all sources, and frankly I hardly notice that 4:3 material is stretched--except, of course, when ESPN-HD does its own stretching of non-HD material (looks bad). I suspect the picture with the new Panny rivals the picture on my Fujitsu, so that seems to be a good bet today.

Good luck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I replaced a beloved yet smaller Sony.

I didn't think I liked the stretch modes either...

Until I got the panny 5UY home ;) The panny auto mode works extremely well. The only times I really notice it is when a weather reporter stands to the side of a map on the news and one of their shoulders suddenly looks huge. :eek:

Words scrolling across CNN tend to speed then slow a bit too - but I am critically looking for it :rolleyes:

But soon I was so happy with the bigger picture that I have not toggled out of Auto mode in quite some time a 4:3 picture just looks so puny especially on a plasma

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pixel pitch of a 42PWD6UY is 1.08 mm. Does anyone know/remember the dot pitch of a Sony 36XBR250?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I sold my XBR250 and bought a 42PWD6UY. I have no regrets. The picture is killer, HD looks great, and I have a PC connected to the display via DVI.

I play music, DVD and web browse on the PC.

THe VGA and DVI ports give the 42PWD6UY a dimension the XBR250 will never have.

Don't buy another tube TV, and don't buy a higher Sony tube just to get some better inputs.

The XBR250 is a mammoth, ditch it and go plasma!

Andy

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I just went from a 36XBR800 to the Panasonic PWD6UY and I couldn't be happier. Yes the 1080i programming was a little sharper on my Sony, but DVDs, Directv, HD HBO and Showtime and HD football games are all superior on my new plasma(on the 36, they were presented in letterbox anamorphic, while on plasma they use the entire screen). Not to mention the fact that direct view 36inch tvs are FREAKING HUGE. I would never ever go back to directview again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.